Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer Forum

Options
  • 25-10-2009 5:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I was just banned from the soccer forum for back seat modding in this post...
    mrgaa1 wrote: »
    robbed ?????? what was the score? Great to see the sc*m get some of their own treatment.
    In any event its a non-event as the league is Chelskis to lose and Arsenals to win. None of the two teams today will win it - they are simply not good enough. They'll have to concentrate on winning cups.
    So does this now mean that liverpool play better as a team when Gerrard isn't there - the rest have room to express themselves and play together?????
    reported.

All I'm trying to do here is help, I didn't realise posting this is considered back seat modding.

This is so far beyond unnecessary it's laughable. Surely this isn't worthy of a ban?

I'm sorry but I can't help but think that being banned by a Liverpool fan (I'm a utd fan) in the L'pool/utd match thread is a coincidence. It's really poor form from the mod in question.

Needless to say, in future I won't bother reporting any posts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It doesn't seem to be anything to do with your allegiences, and more to do with the more rigid enforcement of the rules being carried out in the forum at the moment, as outlined in the charter.

Unfortunately, a more rigid enforcement calls for more consistency and you've been caught on the wrong side of the fence (albeit barely). If they don't apply the rule to you in the same way it's been applied to others, it wouldn't work very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well then the rules need to be changed. This is the equivalent of throwing someone in jail for stealing a mars bar.

Some basic common sense is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Well this demonstrates that you failed to read the charter of the soccer forum.
    If you believe a post is in breach of the charter then you should report it, and move on. If you engage the poster on his/her breach of the charter you risk infraction for back-seat modding.

Examples of back-seat modding include:

* Calling someone a troll
    * Telling a poster not to post in a thread, or they should post elsewhere
    * Telling a poster you have reported their post (effectively accusing them of a breach of the charter)
    * Commenting on a breach of charter

This list is not exhaustive, and mod discretion may be applied in cases where the intent is judged to be helpful (for example, telling another user they should use spoiler tags for score updates, and showing them how to do so).

The rule of thumb should always be to leave moderation to the mods.

I did read the charter, probably about 2 years ago when I joined. My apologies for not having a photography memory.

It doesn't make the rule/decision any less stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I did read the charter, probably about 2 years ago when I joined. My apologies for not having a photography memory.

The charter was updated on 1st August 2009 after extensive feedback from forum members, which we highlighted at the time.

In addition:
    It is your obligation to keep abreast of the rules of the forum. By posting here we assume you accept the rules, as such we do not view ignorance of the rules as a valid excuse for breaking them. If the rules change and you feel you no longer wish to comply with the charter, please inform the mods and your access can be removed.

And that has been the case for a number of years.

Buffybot has explained this pretty well, and I see no reason for us to alter the rule, or remove you ban.

• Advertisement

The charter was updated on 1st August 2009 after extensive feedback from forum members, which we highlighted at the time.

And that has been the case for a number of years.

Buffybot has explained this pretty well, and I see no reason for us to alter the rule, or remove you ban.

So why has nothing been done about this post in this thread.

They both broke the rules, even though humorous in nature (we can only assume) it's still against the charter, is it okay to break the rules so long as it's all in jest?

Buffybot said that my banning was due to ''rigid enforcement'', if that is the case, I expect the two posters I have referenced to be banned also. They didn't get so much as a warning. I received a warning and a banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That's already being raised in another thread.

If you're unhappy with the current policy, I suggest you visit the Feedback thread currently running and offer some suggestions as to how it might work better, from your point of view :)

I'd be less unhappy with the policy if it applied to all users, evidentially, it doesn't.

Next time I break the rules, I'll be sure to do it in a sarcastic manner as to avoid punishment.

Advertisement