Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards 2.0

Options
  • 25-10-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Just an idea I had while writing a reply on a very active thread a while back. It would be nice to see some webapps 2.0 built into boards so when you're writing your reply, or even reading through the thread, new posts automagically appear.

Like twitter when you search a popular #tag or whatever, after about 10 seconds, it moved down a bit and says "16 new results since searching". It avoids the problem of replying to a post on a previous page or one that was answered already etc.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

that would be great, but right now it couldnt be our focus. We have too much work simply keeping the thing on the air and relatively quick :)

That said, we are working on moving to a whole new search system and over the next year hope to take more control over the code that runs the site and develop it in ways we want it to go. The sort of thing you are talking about would easily fall within that range but for the next 3 months our focus is still ping, people, platform. That is, keep us on the internet, maintain the community, provide the platform. When we are rock solid on those, we'll start adding treats :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    Just an idea I had while writing a reply on a very active thread a while back. It would be nice to see some webapps 2.0 built into boards so when you're writing your reply, or even reading through the thread, new posts automagically appear.
    The problem with that is sites like this rely on commercial internet BB software.

Even though you could heavily modify the PHP behind vBulletin, change-management becomes nightmare when there's a new commercial release and you have to integrate all your various changes back into the new version.

The majority of the biggest discussion sites on the net usually depend on their own custom-written software.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And that may be the way we go with Boards, we dont know yet. I'll keep ye informed.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

[...] when there's a new commercial release and you have to integrate all your various changes back into the new version. [...]

This could be avoided with the use of plugins as opposed to editing core files. I'm a freelance web designer and mainly build off Wordpress. I use / write plugins to get the functionality I want. That way when end users upgrade to new versions / apply security patches, it doesn't overwrite my changes.

I haven't done much work with vbulletin other than install and edit appearance but I'm assuming it supports plugins.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ciaran187 wrote: »

Like twitter when you search a popular #tag or whatever, after about 10 seconds, it moved down a bit and says "16 new results since searching". It avoids the problem of replying to a post on a previous page or one that was answered already etc.
    I dont know how I feel about that. Thats a leap away from message boards and back into Chat Rooms. The only threads that would benefit from these are Pub threads (BGRH etc), Live Stream threads (Match threads, The Emmy's, etc.) and forums like Politics or some AH threads, I could see it going flamewar awfully quick. In some respects (yet in few cases) it would be neat to have Live Threads, but I'd hate to see it sitewide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't think this deserves a thread of it's own but (thinking of boards 2.0) I would love an automated pm system that tells you a post you made was deleted and if you have issues to contact the mod "x" (where x is the mod that deleted the post) I haven't had topics or posts deleted often but the confusion, did I post that reply, did the site/my computer feck up etc can lead to people reposting and the mod thinking it was an act of defiance when the user simply doesn't realise they broke the rules...

Advertisement