Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A year ago today

Options
  • 25-10-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Okay so its not today, I'm 3 days off but screw it close enough :P

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055404114

It was a long battle, but it was worth it, I think you'll all agree:cool:

Things turned out pretty much just like I hoped they would but far greater then I expected.

I just wanted a place to chat to other irish street fighter fans, but I hoped that due to it being boards.ie and the fact that there appears to be far more passionate fighting game fans out there than people generally assume (some of whom have experience organising events and so forth) I hoped that it would help give a solid boost the Irish fighting game community itself and help in bringing it together.

I'm no organiser myself, hell I can barley get out of bed in the mornings...

So all I could do was do what I do best....bitch, moan and debate on Internet forums until people are so sick of me they're forced to listen.
    Muahhahahhaaha and to those nay sayers, even though I doubt they'd be reading this.. I'm not a bigger man so I'll say it:

TOLD YEA SO neee ner neee ner neeeee ner

:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to say it did a lot better than I thought it would. I'm usually against these forums since they have a habit of turning into another Warhawk forum, but at least we got it right with this one and instead of having a street fighter forum they made it a fighting games forum, unlike the final fantasy one which needs to be much broader.

It's since turned into one of my favourite boards hear and I check it as much as the main games and consoles boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah, although street fighter is the only one I'm personally interested in, I always wanted it to be a 'fighting game' forum for all fighting games.

They're kinda unique in that they don't all age the same way other games do, they're never going to be a passing fad and people get really into them and passionate about them. I had come across enough irish players online to know that there would be a use for the forum on the get go, somewhere for us all to chat and arrange games together.

It just made so much sense to me, so logical and obvious that it was needed and would be used and useful. Which is why I'd be so dismayed by the nay sayers on the thread (Bambi/nekkedbibleman :P) that just couldn't see what I saw yet at the same time all these other waste of space totally unneeded forums were approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

street fighter 4 just caused an explosion, i wish there was interest back in the 3s days but alas its now dead, not gonna touch it until the next Northern Ireland battles, time to up the sf4 game.

brings a tear to my eye
    also connor you were dead right :)

I was really hoping it would be approved before HDR and SF4 came out so us Irish 3s people could have enjoyed it back when that was our main game and we could actually play it :p (speaking for myself really :p:o) Plus also show it to those unaware of the game.

But alas it took so damn long for it to be approved, HDR was released... then SF4.. was a few months after that then.

Felt like I was in an election campaign, any time SF or any other fighting was brought up in they're usual obscure places all over boards I'd be all "eh cough fighting game forums needed cough" plus give it a mention on the 2DF and SRK boards to try and catch the attention of those who know of boards but have no interest cause we didn't have a fighting game section on it.

It was SDooM (n1 m8) in the end who finally pulled out his ultra combo's and gave the powers that be a little nudge and a week or two later, after month, months and more months of bitching, we finally got it. YAY.

We should have a tourney on the weekend of the anniversary of this forums making or some ****:cool:

Oh and btw its Conor :p and I'm always right...sometimes.. :confused: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    So all I could do was do what I do best....bitch, moan and debate on Internet forums until people are so sick of me they're forced to listen.

Fuck this.

I lost moneys to Doom last night. I'm still bitter about it.
    In a roundabout manner, you caused this.

If there was no fighting forum, I would be a whole 10 Eur better off.

So, quid pro quo, (I've no idea what this means, just wanted to use it to back up my argument, yes you heard me.)

You owe me bike money;)

Seriously though - well done Cunny, jobs a good one.

• Advertisement

balrog-bike-money.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Terry is still a top tier whore. Nice to see a man live and die by his principles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Terry is still a top tier whore. Nice to see a man live and die by his principles :)

Someone might say that topic Retr0.
    But there is not a topic in the world where it's not appropriate to remind Terry of top tier whorage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

How did the abuse just randomly come out of nowhere?!

Retr0 and A-trak, the usual culprits :D

All we need now is for Hmuya and placebo to chip in!

In fairness you got you're revenge yesterday :p

Farzad going around with that 'top tier whore' sticker on his back was one of the funniest moments of the tourney for me hahaha

PPC got a pic of it but its blurry but I look forward to seeing it anyway heheheh classic :p

Terry you should print out a top tier whore t-shirt with a pic of sagat on a street corner or something for the next tourney :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy BIRTHDAY dear fighting game forum (request thread),
    Happy birthday to you!

*Puts down plastic guitar*

Seriously though, I love this forum, as a relative n00b to the genre when I first came in(mashing in sf2 and tekken didn't count) some of the info I've read here while lurking has been invaluable to me, and there's a great atmosphere in the place. So yeah, woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Wow just read the request thread. There was some shocking negative feelings towards this forum. I would think that the strong community that's been built up here goes to show how important this section is. Well done to everyone, especially Cunny, for keeping the pressure on and getting the forum made.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I remember seeing the thread and going "That. I want that. Want it NOW."

As an aside I hear the request process is changing so that wouldn't happen these days.

HMUYA wrote: »
    Wow just read the request thread. There was some shocking negative feelings towards this forum.

Yeah and if you keep an eye on the dates of each post it'd sometimes be a week or 3 between each time I'd say something as I was conscious of 'bumping' the thread and waited for there to be a response before posting again, although I did eventually bump it once :p

Be interesting to see the stats on this 'sub forum' compared to other 'sub forums' in the games section.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Be interesting to see the stats on this 'sub forum' compared to other 'sub forums' in the games section.

We've overtaken the Halo, MGS & Resi forums, and that's all that's needed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Fighting Games are a dead genre.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That's pretty damn impressive! Go us!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I'm delighted that this forum has taken off in the way it has.It's been a great way to bring all the stret fighter players together in one place.Before people were too fragmented through 3s,Alphas and ST, but if there's one good thing to come from SFIV it's this.

I remember making a thread well over a year ago looking for fellow ST players to plyay on GGPO/2DF and not really knowing where to put it,I think it eventually got 3 responses of which I only ended up playing one (the witch).

It's also helped me meet the local Belfast players, which I was completely unaware of ,who have given me regular competent offline competition for the first time since playing at arcades as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Bigger than that - we've overtaken Webgames, which has been around since 2000, by 4000 posts, and we have more than three times the posts of Miniature Gaming, which has been around since 2003. Give it a few months we'll have overtaken the Strategy forum, which has been around since 2001.

I'd imagine the frequency of our events are among the highest on boards as well.

Seriously shows the level of community this group has built in little less than a year, and I have no doubt that it'll only grow and improve.

tl;dr: GGWP lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    unlike the final fantasy one which needs to be much broader.
    You can turn it into a jrpg forum or something.

• Advertisement

Should be a boards award for best new forum :p :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Should be a boards award for best new forum :p :cool:

There are boards awards each year aren't there?

There used to be anyway.

I think they are popularity contests though so if you aren't posting in after hours then good luck.

I make the odd post in AH, but it quickly gets buried under a sea of thanks fishing posts. Don't like it there. But surely a "Best new board" couldn't be won by AH influence?!

Well if it was done by stats I don't see an issue but I was only jokin I didnt think there was such a thing.

Still.... it'd be amusing and another "nee ner nee ner neer" opportunity to shove in the faces of those nay sayers who said this forum would be a "fail". :p

Well if it was done by stats I don't see an issue but I was only jokin I didnt think there was such a thing.

Still.... it'd be amusing and another "nee ner nee ner neer" opportunity to shove in the faces of those nay sayers who said this forum would be a "fail". :p

at the time it would have been !
    which is why i opposed it :(:pac::pac::pac:

You didn't oppose it :p & it wouldn't have been a failure if it was approved back then either we'd just be all on GGPO and 2DF etc so even before SFIV or HDR this would have had no bother kicking the **** out of most other games sub forums..

So I still maintain my nee neer nee ner neeee ner stance muhahahhaa :P

Also I do reckon someone else would have suggest this sub forum by now for sure. 2008-9 have been good years for fighting games fans, 1st in a long while. The games forum would be pretty flooded with threads.

Or maybe we'd all still be posting in that fking "SFIV build up" thread :rolleyes:

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

"plus give it a mention on the 2DF and SRK boards to try and catch the attention of those who know of boards but have no interest cause we didn't have a fighting game section on it."

that's me summed up.

You didn't oppose it :p & it wouldn't have been a failure if it was approved back then either we'd just be all on GGPO and 2DF etc so even before SFIV or HDR this would have had no bother kicking the **** out of most other games sub forums..

So I still maintain my nee neer nee ner neeee ner stance muhahahhaa :P

Also I do reckon someone else would have suggest this sub forum by now for sure. 2008-9 have been good years for fighting games fans, 1st in a long while. The games forum would be pretty flooded with threads.

Or maybe we'd all still be posting in that fking "SFIV build up" thread :rolleyes:

LOL!

How many people here actually played 2df and GGPO back then?
    i've only ever heard 3-4 people mention they had.

Theres not one post here about guilty gear X series, or the old KOF's

which is why i opposed it, back then.

• Advertisement

g'way outta that farz oh ye of little faith, :p

people on here just didn't start liking fighting games when sf4 came out. The forum would have raised awareness and unified irish players, eventually forming a scene. The amount of different Irish players I bumped into spread out over different areas , ggpo 2df, srk, capcomunity, etc etc is what led me to start seeing the potential for this forum, the impending SF4 release just gave an added reason for it.

In fairness I think there should have been a fighting game section on here years ago, its a travesty it took this long, have a look at the state of the other sub forums on here.

But anyway a fighting game section on here was always gonna help the scene, SF4's release speeded it up a little and had us all playing the same game, if this was here before sf4 there'd have seen a wider range of games being played. I really wanted this up before SF4 but at least we have it now.

I don't remember you opposing this forum, not thinking it'd work maybe, but out right opposing it not at all, if you had you'd be on my....list :mad: dun dun DUUUUUN. lol.

Advertisement