Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Bridge is Falling Down!!!!

Options
  • 25-10-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what happened to St. Patricks Bridge??? Was walking by it this morning and there is a big chunk after being knocked/falling off it, like a massive part of the rail of the bridge is gone!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Two car crash there on Monday. One car nearly went off the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

yea, walked past it the other day a few hours after the accident, bits of car still on bridge and oil on road covered in the green stuff to soak it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I just saw it this morning.

4048909335_3c8064ec68.jpg

4049656020_ed184be4e6.jpg

I can't imagine how they managed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Walked right past that on Friday and never even noticed it :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Somebody's going to have to go fishing for the bits that fell in!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How the f*ck did they manage that unless they were doing ridiculous speeds? If that's the case, I hope they have their licenses taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You've swallowed the Road Safety Authority mantra hook, line and sinker Kold.

Here's an example of why speed isn't the be-all and end-all in road safety:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Kold wrote: »
    How the f*ck did they manage that unless they were doing ridiculous speeds? If that's the case, I hope they have their licenses taken.

Oh for the love of God. Ridiculous speeds? Why would anyone think that? Cars do weigh quite a bit, and momentum of a moving vehicle tends to be rather large ... especially when compared to old, frail stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Kold wrote: »

Taxi driver told me the other day it was some woman in a suicide attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Ridiculous speeds? Why would anyone think that?

I thought that too first, given the height of the kerb to be mounted. then I remembered seeing a lady drive her car up a similar height and into the wall of the tile store by the train station, all at about 5 mph.

it's still quite an achievement, given it's mostly one way, and the other way is a mostly empty bus-only lane.

Oh for the love of God. Ridiculous speeds? Why would anyone think that? Cars do weigh quite a bit, and momentum of a moving vehicle tends to be rather large ... especially when compared to old, frail stone.
    It's a one way bridge and there's a bus lane on that side. Fair enough I don't know the story but I still can't imagine how they managed that. Speed was the first thing that came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not the first time it has happened, remember it happening about ten or more years ago on the same side with a lorry, they just replaced the pillars with the same type and left the rest as it was so they were a different colour for a while. I'd imagine they'll do the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well we are talking about a city council who didn't even have the ornamental lamps on the bridge refurbished for the (S)hity of Culture year, so no doubts they'll just get Jimmy down the yard to patch up the bridge and pay them over the odds.

MC

dahamsta wrote: »
    Haha, and they just slowly drive off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭daddymick66

apparently a drunk driver sped up patrick st and broke red lights, t boned an innocent motorist who hit parapet of bridge and did all damage, so drink and speed were the factors in this on , info from a member of emergency services who was at the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What draws me most to the first pic is the Vic. :)
    The memories!

Advertisement