Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a phone?

• 25-10-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new mobile that has radio, mp3 player and isn't a touchscreen.. also not Samsung which I currently have and which I wouldn't get again!

Something cool and that is compatible with Vodafone network and Ready to Go- I don't want BillPay if I can stay away from it.

Also, would be cool if it had Wifi (assuming I don't have to pay extra).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

nokia e51,e52 (not sure if this has radio), e63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

I would recommend the Sony Ericsson C905

Sony_Ericsson_c905.jpg
    It has wifi and gps not sure if you can get it on vodafone prepay do. Buts its a cracking phone !!:D

If your looking for something a bit cheaper how about this

:http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=306035&offerSelected=prepaynew&action=view

Or If Your Not a sony fan ? how bouts this :

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=334035&offerSelected=prepaynew&action=view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I love the sony ericcson phones- lost mine last year but it was the best phone I've ever had on reflection. But it does look like the C905 is O2, I can't find it on Vodafone shop..

The Nokia E63 looks pretty cool- going to go into the shop tomorrow and see how it handles|!

ya i have a sony ericsson, its the best phone i ever had. its almost three years old and still going. Had its fair share of knocks and bumps !

Did you know that you can change your operator ? it fairly easy i have changed form o2 to meteor and then back to o2 again when i found out than meteor coverage is terrable !!

My only problem with the nokia is the buttons on the keypad are very small. It might not be a problem for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

+1 for sony ericsson. Been very happy with all their phones so far.

• Advertisement

Shane Slv wrote: »
    ya i have a sony ericsson, its the best phone i ever had. its almost three years old and still going. Had its fair share of knocks and bumps !

Did you know that you can change your operator ? it fairly easy i have changed form o2 to meteor and then back to o2 again when i found out than meteor coverage is terrable !!

My only problem with the nokia is the buttons on the keypad are very small. It might not be a problem for you?

Do you mean I can buy it on O2 pay as you go, and then just go back to vodafone pay as you go?

That would be great. Was looking around today and O2 seem to have a bigger range of Sony Ericsson phones.

pog it wrote: »
    Do you mean I can buy it on O2 pay as you go, and then just go back to vodafone pay as you go?

That would be great. Was looking around today and O2 seem to have a bigger range of Sony Ericsson phones.

i dunno how much those e52's cost to unlock or how hard it is but that could be an option

pog it wrote: »

ya afaik you can. All you have to do is ring o2 customer support and request your unlock code. (They are legally required to give you the code.)
    Then enterer the code in your phone then go and buy a new sim card (vodafone in your case) then ring vodafone customer support and tell them you want to change. It will take a while for the change to happen it was about a hour or 2 in my case. Keep the o2 sim card in the phone untill you get a error message saying that the sim card is not supported or similar. then put in your vodafone sim card and bobs your uncle !!:)

you probably need to spend 100e on credit before they will do that for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sony Ericsson W995.

Only problem is with Sony Ericssons is I find that the build quality is usually sh!te! After a few months you'll notice the slider becoming loose and the SE logo comin off the screen as well as scratches, naturally (why oh why do they use cheap plastic?)

Cracking phone non-the-less. E63 is a very good choice too, excellent value for money!

• Advertisement

Think I'm going to go for the Sony Ericsson Satio- it is due out early november with O2! Looks beautiful and looks like it is up there with iphone except it's more aesthetically pleasing and it has the FM radio I need.

So I guess I'll just have to sit it out and wait for it to land in shops!

Ya the satio is amazing. Better than a i phone any day !!:D
    Hopefully might one for x mas

http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?p=827570#post827570

Have a think about the Satio - User experience

Hopefully might one for x mas

aw cmon now that isn't hard. even my 6650 is better than the iphone

wait no 2 cans and a string > iphone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mrs Fanning

try the Nokia 6700, has a 5mp camera, mp3 player and handles so easy! The Nokia e51 is another great phone, with the likes of adobe built in for reading pdf files on line or thro email!!!! :o

Dankoozy wrote: »
    aw cmon now that isn't hard. even my 6650 is better than the iphone

wait no 2 cans and a string > iphone

nokia3210.jpg

Ya haha. tbh id even pefer this to a i phone :D

I beg to differ

Ok maybe i was a bit harsh on the i phone. Its a ok phone but your just paying for the apple sticker. I mean their are much better phones out their that are much less pricey!

I can admit to Apple being cnuts to certain things and being a bit stingy too, but they revolutionised most types of mobile phones today and I think credits due when deserved :D

rizzee wrote: »
    I can admit to Apple being cnuts to certain things and being a bit stingy too, but they revolutionised most types of mobile phones today and I think credits due when deserved :D

Apple have given us

Permanent batteries - because most people change their phone at least every 2 years does *not* mean 2+ year old phones should be reduced to worthless paperweights

Useless multi-touch animated effects - serves no purpose at all, the only people who benefit from this are those who never used a phone or any sort of user interface at all

'Closed' app stores and DRM - actually this is just the start. words dont begin to explain how crippled the thing is. which wouldnt be so bad, if some no name manufacturer released it nobody would look at it twice but since its Apple it's now cool to be crippled. and yet people go on about how great the app store is because they are newbs who don't know how to find and install a .jar file on a phone.

Perma-locked phones - if Apple had their way an iPhone would never leave the network it was "on". i cringe each time i hear someone say "ohh I got an iPhone so i'm obviously on Ohtue!" the way they package this is as if the phone actually belongs to o2. people are switching to more expensive networks so they can buy this worthless disposable piece of ****e. 3G and GSM are great standards because of how easy it is to switch phone/sim card and use your phone on any network but Apple want to make it more proprietary - each phone for and by the network.

Touch screens on phones - alright these have been around since the early 90's but I never liked them. Suddenly now every phone needs to have a touch screen. I hate them, i can type on my E63 without looking but any touch screen virtual keyboard makes me want to hop the thing off the nearest brick wall

Horrible user interface - way too oversimplifed, typical of Steve Job's "less features = better" attitude and "my way or the highway" looks ****ing childish too unless you feel like going for a jailbreaking session so you can change the theme on your own ****ing phone. Now every manufacturer is trying to copy them as usual and everyone seems to hate symbian for some reason

Symbian isn't perfect but the UI is one they got (almost) right. it has some fairly nasty DRM ****e in it too but if you don't buy paid apps and load only free/torrented stuff you remain blissfully unaffected. With Apple you still need an app store account and if Steve decides he doesn't like an app in the morning he can disable it remotely.

I really wouldn't mind if people wanted to buy this piece of crap with their own money but with the way everyone is trying to copy them it definitely makes finding a decent phone for myself much harder.

• Advertisement

Permanent batteries - because most people change their phone at least every 2 years does *not* mean 2+ year old phones should be reduced to worthless paperweights

That true mate, thought techinically you can change the battery in the phone should it go dead. I agree its a nasty point but make the phones design more compact so it isnt <i>that</i> bad IMO
    Useless multi-touch animated effects - serves no purpose at all, the only people who benefit from this are those who never used a phone or any sort of user interface at all

I seriously don't know what your talking about here, complete rubbish tbh! Multi-touch has revolutionised phones, easier to use a GPS etc its perfect. Pinching, swiping, stretching whatever you want to call it - makes the phone more fun and easier to use.
    'Closed' app stores and DRM - actually this is just the start. words dont begin to explain how crippled the thing is. which wouldnt be so bad, if some no name manufacturer released it nobody would look at it twice but since its Apple it's now cool to be crippled. and yet people go on about how great the app store is because they are newbs who don't know how to find and install a .jar file on a phone.

Not too sure what you mean by this? When I had my iPhone the app store was perfect and could get onto it via my iPhone and download straight off. Plenty of amazing free applications, never once had trouble with them.
    Perma-locked phones - if Apple had their way an iPhone would never leave the network it was "on". i cringe each time i hear someone say "ohh I got an iPhone so i'm obviously on Ohtue!" the way they package this is as if the phone actually belongs to o2. people are switching to more expensive networks so they can buy this worthless disposable piece of ****e. 3G and GSM are great standards because of how easy it is to switch phone/sim card and use your phone on any network but Apple want to make it more proprietary - each phone for and by the network.

I understand. But hey they're easily unlockable + free, plus you can buy a factory unlocked iPhone (basically simfree) so that point of yours isn't valid at all ( iknow what your going to go on about now... factory unlocked prices, i agree its very expensive but hey, im just proving you wrong :rolleyes::cool: )

Touch screens on phones - alright these have been around since the early 90's but I never liked them. Suddenly now every phone needs to have a touch screen. I hate them, i can type on my E63 without looking but any touch screen virtual keyboard makes me want to hop the thing off the nearest brick wall
    Well its obvious isn't it. Apple obviously planned to iPhone near perfect. They obviously wanted people to buy it and make money, why shouldn't they, they're just like any other company, need the figures to go up & the money will too! Of course the iPhone and brought more people to use touchscreen phones. It was a huge step up from those 1990's phones I can tell you that :P Also - thats your own opinion on touchscreen phones.
    Horrible user interface - way too oversimplifed, typical of Steve Job's "less features = better" attitude and "my way or the highway" looks ****ing childish too unless you feel like going for a jailbreaking session so you can change the theme on your own ****ing phone. Now every manufacturer is trying to copy them as usual and everyone seems to hate symbian for some reason
    Just perfect don't you mean? Ah Symbian lets go to settings > connectivity > Bluetooth settings > bluetooth> on

Apple - Bluetooth on straight away :) ( i know, jailbreaking it etc etc :rolleyes:)
    Symbian isn't perfect but the UI is one they got (almost) right. it has some fairly nasty DRM ****e in it too but if you don't buy paid apps and load only free/torrented stuff you remain blissfully unaffected. With Apple you still need an app store account and if Steve decides he doesn't like an app in the morning he can disable it remotely.

Symbian is on a rapid downfall at the moment. Apple is simpler to use, plus Androids going to rape it over the coming years! Believe me, i'm a huge symbian freak but I think its near the end of an era unless they produce somthing special!

Not starting a rant here, i'm giving the facts mate, Apple isn't some piece of junk that people say it is. People complain about jailbreaking - so what? Android handsets do it too! Apple have set a bar, and the next iPhone will be a force to be reckoned with ;)

That true mate, thought techinically you can change the battery in the phone should it go dead. I agree its a nasty point but make the phones design more compact so it isnt <i>that</i> bad IMO

I seriously don't know what your talking about here, complete rubbish tbh! Multi-touch has revolutionised phones, easier to use a GPS etc its perfect. Pinching, swiping, stretching whatever you want to call it - makes the phone more fun and easier to use.

Not too sure what you mean by this? When I had my iPhone the app store was perfect and could get onto it via my iPhone and download straight off. Plenty of amazing free applications, never once had trouble with them.

I understand. But hey they're easily unlockable + free, plus you can buy a factory unlocked iPhone (basically simfree) so that point of yours isn't valid at all ( iknow what your going to go on about now... factory unlocked prices, i agree its very expensive but hey, im just proving you wrong :rolleyes::cool: )

Well its obvious isn't it. Apple obviously planned to iPhone near perfect. They obviously wanted people to buy it and make money, why shouldn't they, they're just like any other company, need the figures to go up & the money will too! Of course the iPhone and brought more people to use touchscreen phones. It was a huge step up from those 1990's phones I can tell you that :P Also - thats your own opinion on touchscreen phones.

Just perfect don't you mean? Ah Symbian lets go to settings > connectivity > Bluetooth settings > bluetooth> on

Apple - Bluetooth on straight away :) ( i know, jailbreaking it etc etc :rolleyes:)

Symbian is on a rapid downfall at the moment. Apple is simpler to use, plus Androids going to rape it over the coming years! Believe me, i'm a huge symbian freak but I think its near the end of an era unless they produce somthing special!

Not starting a rant here, i'm giving the facts mate, Apple isn't some piece of junk that people say it is. People complain about jailbreaking - so what? Android handsets do it too! Apple have set a bar, and the next iPhone will be a force to be reckoned with ;)

oops now look what i have gone and started :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What beats all is that jailbreaking a phone is totally unnecessary in Europe as it is ILLEGAL for a company to lock a post paid phone to their network and refuse you the unlock code.

How has this nonsense been allowed to continue by the EC, time to get them earning their bloated salaries.

More compact is overrated. I used to carry a Nokia 9500 around, didnt bother me at all

Multi touch isn't anything to write home about, i used to have an iphone and i'd say it only slowed me down. Also when I push a button whatever function is behind it should already have executed. No "slide" or "swoosh" or expanding popup window or "fade in" and "fade out". A decent BackBlerry style trackball or roller at the side is as fast or better than this touch screen stuff

SIM free iphones only exist because someone told Apple they had to sell them. They usually have to be obtained from Australia or Belgium first where the rules are a bit different. If Apple had their way 'twould be like a Satellite Phone - built from the ground up for one network but without the whole trouble of designing one's own air interface, protocol and the rest. Much easier to use an open standard and put a few technical restrictions on it, cripple it a bit

Unless you jailbreak you are limited to the app store and I'm sure some lad is working hard to make it harder to unlock/break the 4G or 3GSS or whatever so he can impress Mr. Jobs and even now when you have a jailbroken iPhone you could be excommunicated from the Church of Apple any day. I noticed that the apps from Cydia were always much cooler than the ones from the app store, in fact the app store seems kind of bland compared to the other stuff out there.

Maemo and the Linux OS on the Neo1973 are the only new phone OS that don't have this jailbreaking ****e and thats a good thing. Maemo is a bit childish "Web 2.0" looking for now but you can customise it to do whatever you want, its perfect for hackers. not people who just sold their souls to O2 and have no idea what to use their expensive phones for

More compact is overrated. I used to carry a Nokia 9500 around, didnt bother me at all

It's still a positive imo.If the back cover came off there might have been creaks or issue with it so yeah, it does make it more compact, a lot smoother, and adds to its wonderful design.
    Multi touch isn't anything to write home about, i used to have an iphone and i'd say it only slowed me down. Also when I push a button whatever function is behind it should already have executed. No "slide" or "swoosh" or expanding popup window or "fade in" and "fade out". A decent BackBlerry style trackball or roller at the side is as fast or better than this touch screen stuff

Well it is if your using Google maps or taking pictures a lot. You obviously didn't take in the full experience of multi-touch.
    SIM free iphones only exist because someone told Apple they had to sell them. They usually have to be obtained from Australia or Belgium first where the rules are a bit different. If Apple had their way 'twould be like a Satellite Phone - built from the ground up for one network but without the whole trouble of designing one's own air interface, protocol and the rest. Much easier to use an open standard and put a few technical restrictions on it, cripple it a bit

But of course mate, they have to sell sim free iPhones, plus it makes them more money so why shouldn't they, enough people are buying the sim free phones so why not?

Unless you jailbreak you are limited to the app store and I'm sure some lad is working hard to make it harder to unlock/break the 4G or 3GSS or whatever so he can impress Mr. Jobs and even now when you have a jailbroken iPhone you could be excommunicated from the Church of Apple any day. I noticed that the apps from Cydia were always much cooler than the ones from the app store, in fact the app store seems kind of bland compared to the other stuff out there.

It will be called the Apple ''x'' (as in the NAME of something, no numbers) or the Apple 4G. I'm a good guesser ;) (thats the only piece of info thats not fact yet ;))

Second of all,the application store is excellent IMO. Sure you gotta pay for a few apps but i never did, I used the free ones and they gave me the full iPhone experience was brilliant what it can do (games etc) Sure Cydia adds to it but thats only for knock-off things like Themes etc, the standard one is so attractive i found most of them to be ****e on Cydia + Ice! Millions of people own iPhones. Do you think ALL iPhone owners have their phones jailbroken? I wouldn't expect even half of them to, most wouldn't know how or wouldn't bother as it's perfect by itself!

I'd just like to say I never said th eiPhones perfect in anyway, the most customisable phone, the best at anything in particular. I do think it was/is a step forward in mobile phones though :)

What is jail-breaking?

Must admit that I hate the idea of touchscreen phones as well, and I was going to avoid them when buying a new phone but will consider making an exception for the Satio - the i phone is a black square slab with no redeeming aesthetic features whatsoever and with these square bright icons which jump out at you. I'd prefer a more relaxed phone that doesn't blind you. So it doesn't have any class in that way. But I wouldn't knock Apple totally- MacAir books are stunning.

Advertisement