Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a good bar/nightclub?

• 25-10-2009 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Why do you pick a certain bar/nightclub?
    What puts you off others, decor?drinks menu? Atmosphere?
    Most importantly what would you like to see if a new bar/nightclub opened that's missing or hasn't been done in Ireland? Examples?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ask a German student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

you doing some kinda project or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

What makes a good club?
    24 hour licence
    Bar staff that give you doubles without you asking
    Cheap cans of red stripe
    More than 1 decent guest DJ in one night

What makes a bad club;
    2:30am closing time
    Pissed rednecks up in the big shmoke for a rake of pints and a schnackbox, bai!

I may never move back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Aye, and comely maidens dancing together during the slow sets. That'd teach the rednecks not to drink so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Any pub I frequent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 franj

What makes a good club?
    24 hour licence
    Bar staff that give you doubles without you asking
    Cheap cans of red stripe
    More than 1 decent guest DJ in one night

What makes a bad club;
    2:30am closing time
    Pissed rednecks up in the big shmoke for a rake of pints and a schnackbox, bai!

I may never move back...

Not exactly what I was wondering, tbh thats sounds like what I'd want to avoid, more drink and cheap drink was not what I meant but fair enough if its your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 franj

you doing some kinda project or something?

No, just a strong interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Lazy journalism methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AnchormanSL

1.Competitive Prices
    2.Variation in Music eg. GPO-Main Dance floor + Drum Dance floor
    3.Good Music that builds with the size + atmosphere of the crowd
    4.Kind Staff especially Bouncers
    5.A good Crowd-A nice mix of friends,people you'd know to say hello to and total strangers

Foundations for a good night right there!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Dj plays all the best music from opening time til about 12, then runs out of ideas and plays absolute sh1te for the rest of the night.

Have been to some amazing clubs in europe, they will often play the top 5 songs 3 or four times in the night, not in a row obviously :pac:. I dont wanna hear the best tunes while im in the Q outside or when im just inside the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

GC->AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

good staff if the staff are having fun then the clients have fun this is why drinking should be legal while working in a bar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hawt biatches that are out purely to get their fannies filled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What makes a bad nightclub
    Over inflated cover charge
    €2,00 cloakroom fee
    Inflated drink prices
    2.30 AM Closing
    Poor quality lighting and effects, cheap lasers, blown bulbs in gobos, etc
    Poor quality sound.
    Ill mannered bouncers who take the law into their own hands.

What makes a good night club
    Almost impossible to find in this country. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

with ping pong balls ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

jayoo wrote: »
    Dj plays all the best music from opening time til about 12, then runs out of ideas and plays absolute sh1te for the rest of the night.

Have been to some amazing clubs in europe, they will often play the top 5 songs 3 or four times in the night, not in a row obviously :pac:. I dont wanna hear the best tunes while im in the Q outside or when im just inside the door

Jesus, if heard the same song 3 or 4 times in a night i would feel well pissed off.

With the world full of music i can't even fathom how a DJ would be unable to fill out a set.

Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What makes a good night club
    Almost impossible to find in this country. :mad:
    Ive been to the new Wright Venue 3 times this month :oand i have to say it is one of the better clubs around. Its not cheap to get in (€15) but the place is huge and the music on whatever level you stay is brilliant. They try and cater for most tastes and not just dance music.The queue at the bar isnt too bad and they make a real effort to make the night entertaining (clowns,dancers,etc).

edit/i dont work for the place or anything, i just like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

franj wrote: »
    Why do you pick a certain bar/nightclub?
    What puts you off others, decor?drinks menu? Atmosphere?
    Most importantly what would you like to see if a new bar/nightclub opened that's missing or hasn't been done in Ireland? Examples?

Give an example of what you think is a good club yourself, AH is not the place for market research/"strong interest"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

cool outside glass elevator to the top, 50 floors with a great view of the las vegas strip, outside bar, dancers, cocktails as big as your head

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭merlin39

Bouncers that let you in. Too much drink on board!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Dragan wrote: »
    Jesus, if heard the same song 3 or 4 times in a night i would feel well pissed off.

With the world full of music i can't even fathom how a DJ would be unable to fill out a set.

Seriously.
    I agree, it sounds like the height of cheese.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Ive been to the new Wright Venue 3 times this month :oand i have to say it is one of the better clubs around. Its not cheap to get in (€15) but the place is huge and the music on whatever level you stay is brilliant.
    I've heard they just play the usual Spin103 rubbish, with random flanging effects occasionally thrown in for no apparent reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

no srumbags = good bar/club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

rossie1977 wrote: »
    cool outside glass elevator to the top, 50 floors with a great view of the las vegas strip, outside bar, dancers, cocktails as big as your head

Its good but its no coppers!! :D

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I've heard they just play the usual Spin103 rubbish.

It does look pretty funky though, if you are the type to judge books by covers. Looks like it could be fun to try and take over for a night of serious DnB.

Edit : HA! Look at this ****!

http://www.thewrightvenue.ie/2009/08/25/vengaboys-xmas-party/

And to be honest, the pictures (after a good look) give a vibe of seedy tear-filled sex as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Cheap drink and loud music. Thats all i ask for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ive been to the new Wright Venue 3 times this month :oand i have to say it is one of the better clubs around. Its not cheap to get in (€15) but the place is huge and the music on whatever level you stay is brilliant. They try and cater for most tastes and not just dance music.The queue at the bar isnt too bad and they make a real effort to make the night entertaining (clowns,dancers,etc).

But you are still kicked out the door at 2.30 AM.

I have been to clubs in London that stay open until 6.AM no expense spared wth sound & lighting effects. One club had a live visit from the Freemasons at no extra covor charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

This will be the case until they have established a regular client base. Then the entertainment will likely stop except for few choice nights.

They will also start to relax their door policy.

Happens to nearly every new club.

But you are still kicked out the door at 2.30 AM.

I have been to clubs in London that stay open until 6.AM no expense spared wth sound & lighting effects. One club had a live visit from the Freemasons at no extra covor charge.

In fairness, had they charged for Freemasons no one would have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

hot girls, everything else doesn't matter really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Good draught beer. Nothing worse than knowing a pub/club doesn't keep their lines clean and flowing meaning you can't order a pint.

If it's got loud music on it should always have somewhere you can go to ****, be able to hear the music but also be able to hear other people talking. A few friends used to always insist on going to a tiny pub that had some ****ty local metal band that drowned out all other noise.

Advertisement