Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon Frise in Cork

Options
  • 25-10-2009 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

i'm looking for a bichon pup in Cork if possible.
    after baby sitting one for a few weeks i've realised that the temperment is perfect for me and the girlfriend. it was a fantastic dog to have around.

so anyone with some recommendations??

Thanks alot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Doesn't appear to be any with AnimalCareSociety at the moment but http://www.westcorkanimals.com/index.html is a place to keep an eye on, incase one came into care.
    Obviously check any local SPCAs and see if they have any, I know you say pup but they might have a young bichon that needs a home.

Failing that - contact the IKC and ask them if they have a list of breeders who will be having pups soon. And keep an eye on our rehoming threads in the Welfare forum just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

ya i'm going to contact the IKC on tuesday.

on another note would you trust the people selling dogs on Donedeal or for this type dog should i go with who the IKC recommend??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

well ... if you're careful and vigilant about it you can find genuine breeders there.
    I got my pup there, off a lovely woman from Cork actually, she had the papers and you could tell by how she talked about them, and how much contact we had discussing (before I'd commited to buy) and all the information she was offering me, that she was genuine.

Pretty much you should be able to ask any question you like, you should be able to see both parents, see the papers, and see where the dogs all live. A real breeder won't mind as they usually are looking for a good home anyway. I mean this woman I was in contact with was delighted I was asking so many questions, because she wanted the pups to go to genuine homes where they'd be cared for.

Make sure the mother of the litter is well, make sure she's not had loads of litters, usually they have 3 maybe 4 and a good break inbetween (just off the top of my head/may not be perfectly accurate). They should have good living conditions, the owners should actually care about the mother and the pups. You should be able to see the papers and they should be registering the litter with the IKC. If they're not being registered, I wouldn't go near them tbh. You can always ring up the IKC and ask about the breeder (if they've registered pups before) to see if they're genuine.

You can contact the IKC for a list of breeders anyway, but keep an eye out on sites, but as I said - be very careful and don't be afraid to ask questions / view the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

..and get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

Thanks Star-Pants thats a great help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement