Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed reading

Options
  • 25-10-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

I find Im very pressed for time lately and its taking me ages to get through books. It seems there is so much I want to read but so little time to do it.

With this in mind Ive been thinking about ways of making more of the time I spend reading. I came across some pages on the web devoted to "speed reading".

I was just wondering if anybody does this or if there are any courses offered on it in Ireland?

I would'nt really be into it for reading proper literature that way but it would be invaluable for reading factual stuff like biographies.

So any thoughts on it or does anybody have any tips for getting through the pile of unread books sitting on my self?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I took it up a few years ago, and have found it useful, particularly as I read a lot of dry technical documentation. Having said that, I don't really use it for novels etc (although my 'casual' reading speed has increased as well).

You don't need to take a course; all the info you need can be found on the internet for free. Use google to find out how the technique works and how to practice it. IMO it's one of many facets of modern learning that should be taught at school level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Meh, I'd have my reservations about the true usefulness of speed reading, particularly when reading for pleasure - surely it kind of defeats the purpose?

Very interesting article on speed reading here:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/863/does-speed-reading-really-work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wilbur01

Doing speed reading exercises regularly is the only way you can increase your word-per-minute rate and improve your overall reading speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Ive never really understood speed reading. If its reading for pleasure, it would be very unrelaxing to sit down and speed read a book, I know its something I wouldnt look forward to. And if its reading for purpose, surely when spedreading a book or technical manual say, there is alot not taken it, as I have way to much experience with from college.

The only time I think speed reading would come in usefull is when you have to review a book maybe, even then your giving your review of a book that you didnt even read properly. Ive often thought publishers should provide book reviewers with books several weeks before a novel is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Apparently Tony Buzan the mind-maps chappie has a book out on training your mind to read faster without the loss of information. don't know of any courses in Ireland doing the same thing.

Btw I think one of the reasons publishers don't hand out books for reviews early is the proliferation of literary bootlegging.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    particularly when reading for pleasure - surely it kind of defeats the purpose?

Your 'relaxed' reading rate naturally increases if you learn to speed read. When I read something casually, I don't consciously use speed-reading techniques, but my reading rate is definitely quicker than it was before I learned to speed-read. I suppose some of the techniques are being employed subconsciously.

By the way, your link is indeed interesting, but bear in mind that the tests mentioned are contrived and consequently unrealistic.
    oxygen wrote: »
    surely when spedreading a book or technical manual say, there is alot not taken it

Incorrect. If anything, speed-reading is a better way to read technical documentation, as people tend to have a limited attention span. Some people's minds start to drift before they've finished a paragraph, never mind a chapter! You can pack more useful information into a small amount of reading time, and attain better coherence between sections of text through speed-reading. The 'normal' method of reading is extremely inefficient. Your mind is capable of processing information at a far greater rate than most people can read at. There are a lot of misunderstandings regarding speed-reading, the biggest being that there is a compromise between reading speed and information uptake. When done correctly, this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

As someone who's "normal" reading speed is naturally extremely fast speed reading totally overrated. I read normally at the speed most people would speed read: if you need to read something URGENTLY try finding a synoposis on the net: otherwise relax and enjoy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I don't really get how speed reading would detract from the enjoyment of reading a book.. Surely if you're just changing the pace you're reading at, rather than rushing it, it won't make a difference? Does reading a book too slow detract from its pleasure?

Trust me it does: I start an average paperback book: its finished before I've finished watching a film for example: no suspense, no savouring it. I'm sure reading too slow is equally frustrating, all I was saying is for me I would LOVE to be able to read at a normal speed.

Why don't you just read slower? How is the speed you read out of your control? I'm at a loss as to what you're on about now!

• Advertisement

Yea cyning, you making no sense at all.
    cyning wrote: »
    As someone who's "normal" reading speed is naturally extremely fast speed reading totally overrated. I read normally at the speed most people would speed read

Wha?, you do or dont speed read, and speed reading is intentional. Its like running, you dont naturally run, you decide to run, so you go a little faster.
    all I was saying is for me I would LOVE to be able to read at a normal speed.

Just read at normal speed then for gods sake.
    What are you on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

I know exactly what Cyning is talking about- I read extremely quickly myself and if I analyse my own reading I notice I skip many unimportant words. I guess this could be considered speed reading to an extent. I go through 500-600 page books in a day sometimes.
    It's not as simple as it sounds just to read slower- it would be like asking a slow reader to read faster. I get muddled and confused if I try read to slow- and my concentration goes.
    I don't wish I read slower though- I find it quite useful and still enjoy the books I read.

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    I know exactly what Cyning is talking about- I read extremely quickly myself and if I analyse my own reading I notice I skip many unimportant words. I guess this could be considered speed reading to an extent. I go through 500-600 page books in a day sometimes.
    It's not as simple as it sounds just to read slower- it would be like asking a slow reader to read faster. I get muddled and confused if I try read to slow- and my concentration goes.
    I don't wish I read slower though- I find it quite useful and still enjoy the books I read.

Is that not the key here though? Reading too fast and skipping parts, even if they're only unimportant words? I'll openly admit I can't really know what you mean without being in your shoes on this, but it just sounds a lot like "browsing" more than reading in a way, if you get me.. Not to offend you or doubt you or anything, it just comes across that way I guess.

It'd be so much harder for someone to read faster than their natural speed than slower surely? Can you not sit down and read a page or chapter making sure you read at a slower pace, paying attention to the words you'd normally gloss over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

doonothing wrote: »
    Is that not the key here though? Reading too fast and skipping parts, even if they're only unimportant words? I'll openly admit I can't really know what you mean without being in your shoes on this, but it just sounds a lot like "browsing" more than reading in a way, if you get me.. Not to offend you or doubt you or anything, it just comes across that way I guess.

It'd be so much harder for someone to read faster than their natural speed than slower surely? Can you not sit down and read a page or chapter making sure you read at a slower pace, paying attention to the words you'd normally gloss over?

Surely to read slower all you have to do is sub-vocalize (i.e. say the words in your head as your reading them) at your normal conversational speed?

Surely you dont speak that fast all the time.

There is a diference in speed reading and finishing a book in a day. Thats just an engrossing book you are reading, a "page turner" if you will. Ive read some books in a day, I read Misery in a day, but it wasnt sped read, it was read properly, not missing words.

The Day After Tomorrow by Allan Folsom is a renound page turner. I read that in a week, but again, I didnt speed read it. I just couldnt put it down.

There is a natural speed for reading, its the speed you process information at. Even people with higher intellegence dont process information faster, they just have better retention and comprehention skills.

The problem Im having with people saying that they can only speed read, is that of course that is not true, you make an effort to speed read.

Yeah I do gloss over unimportant words frequently and I realise this isn't good, possibly not reading properly, but when I'm reading books for pleasure this tends to be how I read, while if I'm reading to study I think I tend to have a slower pace, paying more attention.

I'm not saying I'm speed reading properly at all, just that I read a lot faster than most, I've frequently been reading alongside people and found out I've read double the amount in the same timeframe. I don't know whether this is because their attention span is such that they can't concentrate the whole time though.

If I read a book for pleasure and try read it slowly I just get bored for some reason, and eventually end up at my quickened pace.

I completely agree that while skipping words I may just be browsing, but while I may not have taken in the same literacy benefits, I've still really enjoyed the book... that's how I see it anyway.

If you read slowly learning to read faster is very difficult (from what I hear) you can't just decide to read slower I've read at the same pace for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've had to learn how to speed read in college, and believe me it is a very important life skill if you can master it. My technique:

Think of your eyes and brain not as a diligent, methodically sensitive recluse but as a loud, drunk and chaotic animal aiming to maximise information input in the minimal amount of time possible. Imagine a page not as a linear sequence of words but as a splurge of key words which can be accessed by literally hurling your consciousness on the page. When your brain activates a key word, go immediately to the sentence preceding it and read until the following sentance. Then repeat ad infinitum.

Its the only way to get through 5 or 6 books when you have an essay to do by the end of the week.

I notice I skip many unimportant words
    oxygen wrote: »
    it wasnt sped read, it was read properly, not missing words

IMO, correct speed-reading doesn't involve skipping/missing words. Picking out only the most relevant portions of text is gleaning/browsing.

Nah I think you misunderstand the concept of speed reading, it's about reading the minimal amount of words possible to understand the sentence.
    For example "Johnny went to the shop and bought a bunch of carrots" - "Johnny to the shop bought carrots". Bit of a stupid example I know but can you see the point I'm trying to make?

• Advertisement

If you read slowly learning to read faster is very difficult (from what I hear) you can't just decide to read slower I've read at the same pace for years.

I really can't grasp this, even just reading your post I tried reading it slower than my normal pace, it barely took any extra concentration at all!

Nah I think you misunderstand the concept of speed reading

I don't think so, particularly seeing as I've been practicing speed-reading for a number of years. What I consider speed-reading is reading at the speed my brain can process input, rather than the (slower) rate at which I might mentally vocalize words (the way most people read). What you're talking about is picking out keywords (browsing/skimming), which might work well with a novel, but not with technical documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I don't like the idea of speed-reading enjoyment books. I know the OP said it's for non-fiction but I enjoy relishing the style a particular author may have and sometimes, if I like it enough, I make sure to read it very slowly. I love reading anything by Nabokov in this manner.

doonothing wrote:
    I really can't grasp this, even just reading your post I tried reading it slower than my normal pace, it barely took any extra concentration at all!

Over one sentence: do it for a book. I slip into my normal speed. Look maybe I'm just odd in this regard I've been trying for years to slow down how fast I read. And I can't . Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wilbur01

Speed reading is a set of skills that is essential for nearly everyone's survival in this age of information overload. Whether you are a student, returning adult student, employee, manager, executive, or business person reading more professionally and effectively is set of techniques that are key to your survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dazza_480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

This thread is a classic case of "Hey, lets ignore what the OP said!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I will never understand the desire to speed read a book. I equate it to gulping down a take-away while standing, compared to dining like the French: savouring the taste of every bite over several hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

nitrogen wrote: »
    I will never understand the desire to speed read a book. I equate it to gulping down a take-away while standing, compared to dining like the French: savouring the taste of every bite over several hours.

Yeah, I savour every page of the Advanced Econometrics textbook that I'm reading now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement