Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is IRCHSS a waste of money?

Options
  • 25-10-2009 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Looking at some of the projects that have got funding, a study of 16th century whores for example it seems that this programme is an utter waste of money and we just dont have enough good phd's to absorb the amount of funding available, so they are just dishing it out to random rubbish!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Looking at some of the projects that have got funding, a study of 16th century whores for example it seems that this programme is an utter waste of money and we just dont have enough good phd's to absorb the amount of funding available, so they are just dishing it out to random rubbish!

Pick out some of the rubbish ones to demonstrate and we can talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

I for one think 16th century whores are a fascinating subject!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Let's keep the topic factual, folks. It probably is a useful question to ask in view of the fact that funding for arts and cultural activities is in question these days.

What is the situation with funding at the moment? I know a few colleges have cut back on their own funding for Phds, but is IRCHSS significantly reduced?Are people genuinely finding it more difficult to get funding/ and is there a bias as to which projects get funded?

A lot of questions, I know. But I'm genuinely very interested in how the situation is changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Judging by the 2009 awards, IRCHSS hasn't had its budget cut so far. I imagine it will from now on though. It is due to advertise the 2010 schemes soon, so we may find out in the next few weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Judging by the 2009 awards, IRCHSS hasn't had its budget cut so far. I imagine it will from now on though. It is due to advertise the 2010 schemes soon, so we may find out in the next few weeks...

Postgrad is open:

http://www.irchss.ie/schemes/scheme01/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

It's a tough one to call for various reasons.

Firstly, its unfair to judge an entire project based on its title. While saying a project simply looks at 16th century whores is very myopic. It may in fact reveal some very interesting findings on the history or womens liberty, sexual identity or entrepreneurial skills....who knows.....

Secondly, if its not your area of study then its hard to objectively look at the possible contribution such a project could make. While to you that project may seem a waste of money, to some historians the contribution that project could make may be invaluable.

So basically, don't judge a 4 year research project based on a 10 word title and don't dismiss a project simply because it's not relevant to your research context.

I presume that's why the award panel is made up of academics from a variety of subjects and institutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

A history of glass beads also got funding in 08.

With the economy in such a mess funding luxury projects like this shouldnt be happening. Funding should be concentrated in the hard sciences

A history of glass beads also got funding in 08.

With the economy in such a mess funding luxury projects like this shouldnt be happening. Funding should be concentrated in the hard sciences

You mean like the 3 billion spent on the hadron collider to recreate the Big Bang? Most of the development projects in the hard sciences over the past few years have either failed or have contributed very little to the economy and society at large. Why do we need to know about the geology of Mars, the life-cycles of starfish or the minutae of DNA when there are 400,000 on the dole?

What about Psychology? That's not a hard science either, do you believe funding should be cut in that area too?

The worst thing we could do right now is become insular and only fund those projects considered 'necessary'. One person's necessity is another person's 16th century whore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

You mean like the 3 billion spent on the hadron collider to recreate the Big Bang? Most of the development projects in the hard sciences over the past few years have either failed or have contributed very little to the economy and society at large. Why do we need to know about the geology of Mars, the life-cycles of starfish or the minutae of DNA when there are 400,000 on the dole?

What about Psychology? That's not a hard science either, do you believe funding should be cut in that area too?

The worst thing we could do right now is become insular and only fund those projects considered 'necessary'. One person's necessity is another person's 16th century whore.

Unfortunately recent developments dont look too encouraging (cutting of humanities departments in Liverpool, Trinity & drama...) I have certainly encountered more than a few luxury projects from the 'hard sciences' over the years (whatever that includes). This general outlook unfortunately has nothing to do with the greater value of the project, and makes it more idfficult to develop productive connections with science departments where possible.

Just out of interest, how do you propose (OP) we distinguish? Exclude philosophy, history, English? Include only physical geographers or quantitative sociologists?

• Advertisement
Advertisement