Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini pups

Options
  • 25-10-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Been looking to get a pup in the coming months and wanted a small or mini breed dog.
    Been looking alot at jack russells or yorkies. But the only Jack Russells I've come accross all have their tails docked.
    Is there anywhere in Cork or surrounding areas to get Jack Russells with there tails?
    My nan has a grown JR and I just hate the way his tail looks and I have seen pups around lately all with their tails intact and I just think it looks so much nicer. Not to mention its also cruel to the dog.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Hey guys,
    Been looking to get a pup in the coming months and wanted a small or mini breed dog.
    Been looking alot at jack russells or yorkies. But the only Jack Russells I've come accross all have their tails docked.
    Is there anywhere in Cork or surrounding areas to get Jack Russells with there tails?
    My nan has a grown JR and I just hate the way his tail looks and I have seen pups around lately all with their tails intact and I just think it looks so much nicer. Not to mention its also cruel to the dog.
    Any ideas?

hey there - i'm in Cork, my other halfs brother got a mini JR (think he had his tail) will ask where he got it from and get back to you, have you tried www.irishanimals.ie in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

had a look and theres nothing right now.
    I wont be looking to get one for at least another 3 months but Ive been looking for ages and just havent been able to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I wonder if it would be possible to find a breeder with a bitch in pup or about to be put into pup and request that one of them be left with their tail.

It would be great if you could find a pregnant bitch through a charity, I doubt they dock their pups (I could be wrong). That way you get to go the rescue route and have a pup who was not subjected to this.

I think it's great you have decided against a docked pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I doubt rescues dock puppies tails (unless for a medical reason e.g. severe infection etc.), if any do they shouldn't be in rescue. Since you're not in a rush perhaps contact a couple of local rescues and see if they will put your name on the list and the next time they have a jrt in they could hold a pup for you, although there's no always a gurantee of who the father is but sometimes there is depending where the dog has come from.

Have you tried Inisteoge (can never spell that) Puppyrescue rescue in Kilkenny.

Good on you for not wanting a docked tail, wish more vets would refuse to do it. Worse when some folk take it upon themselves to do it. It's horrible and cruel and doesn't look well on a dog and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I think it's great you have decided against a docked pup.

Its illegal to doc em in the UK now, Think its more or less the same here also, I know a lot of vets wont do it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sadly it's not illegal here yet but it's becoming more and more frowned upon.
    It's still very common though, too common. Even on mix breed dogs that might have a teenchy bit of terrier in them. I don't know what it is about this country but it seems if a dog has an ounce of terrier in them off goes their tail. It's ridiculous.

Wish it were illegal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

The only dog I personally think it is somewhat human to dock the tail of is a boxer, because I have heard so many horror stories of them constantly breaking them and getting them caught in everything and eventually having to get them amputateed anyway.
    But other than that it is just too too cruel. and tbh ruins the look of a dog.
    So im def going for a full tail. And will either be getting a JRT or possibly a mini yorkie. Or maybe both :)
    Mainly because I know people with these breeds and they also have cats and they have always got on well. And that is my main concern as atm I have two 6 month old lil kittys.
    Will def contact rescues tho, cuz my baby charlie came from a rescue and its the best feeling ever. Knowing that you can give them a great home with all the love they could ever want.

Advertisement