Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camcorder recomendation

Options
  • 25-10-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

looking to spend about 200 on a camcorder any one got a suggestions for a novice user.i,ll be mainly using it outside thanks in advance.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

canon or sony is my golden rule. but you gotta give more info on how u plan to edit, what format u want etc before u will get a precise answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

JVG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SmOkiNjOe

I have always stuck with Sony, worth that extra buck for the international warranty and quality in my opinion. If you are planning to edit your footage on the computer, make sure the camcorder has a firewire output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Always had Sony, DCR-TRV320E (Digital8) and DCR-TRV22E (MiniDV), always worked great for me.
    Have a little JVC MiniDV when things get bouncy, it's cheap but cheerful.
    Had a Canon recently, didn't like it and it didn't like playing back tapes that weren't recorded on it.
    AVOID DVD CAMCORDERS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Instead of DV AVI it records in MPEG, lower quality and a total pain and near impossible to edit later on.
    Any Sony MiniDV or HDD is always a good bet.
    Panasonic and JVC can be good too, but had one of each break on me.
    Be careful when buying 2nd hand, a few years ago there was a problem with CCD's and any affected model WILL fail.
    See this article for a list of affected modles:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoc2

For under 200 I would recommend the Kodak Zi8 HD pocket camcorder. Just got one recently and produces great pictures for a pocket sized camera. Check out some footage and reviews on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

looking to spend about 200 on a camcorder any one got a suggestions for a novice user.i,ll be mainly using it outside thanks in advance.;)

I've a Canon FS100.
    Very easy to use.
    Excellent outdoors, crap indoors.
    I think they're around the €200 mark now.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

I'm tearing my hair out trying to decide - there are so bleedin many. I'm not planning to buy from Amazon but these are the two Ive kind of whittled it down to having reviewed many many reviews websites. I'm erring towards the panasonic

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SDR-H200-Palmcorder-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000M4KJV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257423232&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Everio-GZ-MG630-Standard-Camcorder/dp/B001OMH1LE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257423352&sr=1-1

Any advice from you experts would be gratefully received.

Thanks a million - Scott

Would you consider going Hi Def?
    You can still record in regular resolution, but could go up in the future.
    If you buy regular, you can't go up...

Would you consider going Hi Def?
    You can still record in regular resolution, but could go up in the future.
    If you buy regular, you can't go up...
    I thought about it but the cost differential is too great. I just want a way to capture memories than make a feature film.

I'm blurry eyed looking at reviews and I went for the JVC - flying in the face of all advice!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll let you know how I get on.

S

• Advertisement

Well, as they say, only one way to find out.
    Keep the receipt safe and make sure the store has a good returns policy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ana_conda

i have to say i love canon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

good choice

i have a jvc everio mg 575 and i think its great....easy to use ,lots of features...plus a nice colourful picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CayneD

Thanks for the helpful tips guys- I've always liked Sony but I think I'll have a look closer at some of these options for my new camera too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hi,

I'm looking for a camcorder with a decent mic for recording presentations - nothing fancy but something that means you'll be able to hear the presenter without sounding like it's coming down a piece of string and a tin can. Budget <€400.

I was looking at:
    1. JVC
    2. SonyHD

Which would you guys recommend?

Thanks

LIB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

THIS is from 2007, but gives the general gist. Be careful of anything non-tape based (flash or Hard Drive memory) using the AVCHD format. It can guzzle computer power. I know of an educational institution that just records some lecture. It can take over 8 hours to render two hours of footage - without any titles, transition, etc.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    THIS is from 2007, but gives the general gist. Be careful of anything non-tape based (flash or Hard Drive memory) using the AVCHD format. It can guzzle computer power. I know of an educational institution that just records some lecture. It can take over 8 hours to render two hours of footage - without any titles, transition, etc.

Probably will be a while till HD goes mainstream. Massive amounts of data, you'd need a seriously powerful machine to render that. Anything less than Quad Core, 4 gig ram, beefy graphics card, forget it.
    I've seen regular resolution HDD camcorders, recording in AVI format and it's been no great difference to miniDV, but had several miniDV camcorders expire on me due to their extremely fragile tape mechanisms.
    Plus make sure the HDD is easily exchangeable for future repairs/upgrades.
    Since it is a hardrive, it does not like being knocked about at all.
    To me it's between MiniDV and HDD.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY DVD CAMCORDERS!
    They are the most godawful pieces of sihte on God's green Earth!
    Any editiing afterwards can only be done by ripping the disks via Nero and if you've started/stopped recording many times there will be a million different files.
    Plus turning an mpeg into an avi back to an mpeg does not make for great quality.
    Plus field order issues can turn your playback into chop suye.
    Every time someone handed me those dreadful discs I had hours of work on my hands plus substandard quality end result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Indeed, Doc. All of the above the very reason I bought THIS BEAST

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Freddie59 wrote: »

What about this from Pixmania? It's €349 down from €599. I know it's ADVCHD but if I was running a 4gb quad core with Radeon 4550 would that do the job?

I already have a panasonic nv gs27 but the microphone is ridiculous and there is nowhere to put a light onto it. I need it for recording presentations so do need a microphone but can't find one that fits into the panasonic.

Advertisement