Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do certain type of people, drive certain type of car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Stingey people drive Skoda's.

Its more like clever people drive Skodas. Its a VW for a few grand less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Range Rovers yet - they tend to be driven slowly and parked on footpaths/double yellow lines by blonde women with sunglasses on their heads. Granted many of them have been repossessed by now, but still..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Confab wrote: »
    Dickheads driving... could be anyone, but I'd go for anyone driving an 1.6 or TDI A4 and thinks it's an R8.

Hey, I have an A4 TDI, well its my wifes but i drive it also and I dont think its an R8 or anything its far from it so does that exclude me? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

jaybee747 wrote: »
    Was going to say a Taxi, your beemer a Taxi by any chance?

No, but I used to drive a taxi :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

tossy wrote: »
    Hair dressers drive Hyundai coupes and MX5's
    :D

Heeeey... I drive an MX5 and ain't the slightest bit interested in dressing hair :(

I mostly notice them being driven by middle-aged fat men going through a mid-life crisis as the wind sweeps away their dodgy comb-over :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I'm a 22 year old male, from northside Dublin, i'm into my cars and i love spending days working on them.

What do i drive? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Nuns drive micras.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Only **** drive jeeps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Stingey people drive Skoda's.
    Hey I resemble that remark! :p
    My first car was a Skoda Felicia and it was the best car I've ever driven, really miss it, I'd love to get another one. Got a good bargain on it too, even the insurance assessor was amazed I was asking for so little!
    "I'm afraid we can only give you what it was insured for."
    (I didn't tell him it was actually insured for what I paid plus my excess, so I broke even!) :D
    ...oh yeh you're right, stingey. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I'm a 22 year old male, from northside Dublin, i'm into my cars and i love spending days working on them.

Citroen 2CV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

alfa romeo - obsessive compulsive disorders - "honest, it never breaks down"...
    VAG TDI - I'm in the outside lane, belching blue/block smoke coz this is a rocket really....
    Audi Q7 - developers girlfriend as distinct from the wife who drives E class
    S class Merc - Government ministers and property developers.
    Landcruiser - Farmer
    Avensis - farmer going to mass

(Have I left anyone of importance out ? :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

ford focus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

kyote00 wrote: »
    alfa romeo - obsessive compulsive disorders - "honest, it never breaks down"...
    VAG TDI - I'm in the outside lane, belching blue/block smoke coz this is a rocket really....
    Audi Q7 - developers girlfriend as distinct from the wife who drives E class
    S class Merc - Government ministers and property developers.
    Landcruiser - Farmer
    Avensis - farmer going to mass

(Have I left anyone of importance out ? :D)

BMW 318ci :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

BMW X5 = gang member in the western region of the country. Especially if its got blacked out windows. To me, its so damaged by association that I can't imagine that anyone would actually consider an X5 a status symbol but then Burberry was once classy, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pmg007

Its true that some people want a vehicle to reflect a certain image that he/she wants to be identified with like young ladies driving an old gawdy coloured 2cv or the 'green wellie' brigade with their old range rovers and volvo estates and then theres all these convertibles.Sure its nice to see something different. All the new cars look alike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

I drive too fast, am ignornant and always in the overtaking lane. I "supposedly" never use my indicators.

What do I drive?

A Fiat of course. Your indicators don't work and the power steering has failed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

mikkael wrote: »
    A Fiat of course. Your indicators don't work and the power steering has failed :D
    Only one brake light works, but the fogs are grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

I have a fiat 500 Abarth so what am i ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

hithere10 wrote: »

If it's a classic one: a NUTCASE ... but in a good sense of way.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Totally. Teachers, Civil servants etc drive Toyotas and Nissans in a big way.
    When I say "drive", I use the term loosely of course. Am stuck behind so many of those mingin' "new" type Corollas I notice those two hideous and so cheap little pair of red reflectors on the rear bumpers. Awful things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

Marlow wrote: »
    If it's a classic one: a NUTCASE ... but in a good sense of way.

/M

Your right on that one

Jokes aside the 500 is a seriously cool motor. I believe there's a Ferrari edition out? - something so insane only the Italians could get away with it! :D

mikkael wrote: »
    Jokes aside the 500 is a seriously cool motor. I believe there's a Ferrari edition out? - something so insane only the Italians could get away with it! :D

The Abarth is something beyond what Ferrari could do to a Fiat 500 and yes, it's a pretty cool little car. I'm not for the retro ones, but the classic ones do have a special place there.

Do never underestimate an Abarth ... it's gonna blow your trousers off, if your lucky.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

hithere10 wrote: »

Really?! There's only a handful in Ireland!
    The Abarth is something beyond what Ferrari could do to a Fiat 500

The 500 Abarth is a cool car but lets not get carried away!

Most cars do have a certain driver, but all cars have their exceptions, I drive a White Honda...it aint an Accord, and I aint a Scum Bag!!

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Most cars do have a certain driver, but all cars have their exceptions, I drive a White Honda...it aint an Accord, and I aint a Scum Bag!!

Of course there's an exception to every car. And most performance or special cars are a different type of owner than the common models.

I drive a VW van/minibus as daily driver and a BMW E39 as my weekend car, so what category do you stick me in ?

Especially when I'm mentioning, that neither of them is stock.

/M

I drive a VW van/minibus as daily driver and a BMW E39 as my weekend car, so what category do you stick me in ?
    Schizophrenic?;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BMW E46 cabrio - blonde wimmins (usually attractive!)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Schizophrenic?;)

Hmmm .. not yet, as far as I'm aware.. but then, how would I know ? :D

/M

Hmmm .. not yet, as far as I'm aware.. but then, how would I know ? :D

/M

You like to have all the air vents pointing in the same direction?

:D

kbannon wrote: »

That is actually not way off.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

where to start:

Foreign people: Nissan Almera/ Sunny/ Primera
    TDI People: think car is tank with jet engines.
    Drug Dealers: TDI A4 with all the RS4 bits :P
    Fiat Punto: 17 year old males with trendy hair.
    S class Mercs: Business men (always with the shirt hanging in back)
    Avensis: Middle aged prick thats boring and angry at the same time.
    "New" Mini: Posh birds with 2 inches of make up, whopper sunglasses (even when its dark), and a Starbucks mug.
    Yaris: women from country.
    Peugeot 307: Every person in Louth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

kbannon wrote: »

Add Porsche Cayenne to that.

If it's a turbo they are super hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Classic SAAB - know their cars ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Foreigners love crazy coloured cars. If ever you see a lime green Scenic or a gold Corolla, you now its an African or eastern European driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Renault: family on the way?
    Fiat: honestly why bother?
    alfa: for those who love drama
    Hyundai: for those who have given up and "go with the flow"
    Yaris: nuns (confirmed at recent funeral)
    Volvo: man with dog and nothing else
    Audi: get out of the way! I'm in a spaceship and important!
    Most D reg jeeps: mammy wagon for one child

funny how no-one mentioned ford or Jag....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

congo_90 wrote: »
    Audi: get out of the way! I'm in a spaceship and important

In a nutshell. Nothing says 'conformist but deluded' like an Audi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Confab wrote: »
    In a nutshell. Nothing says 'conformist but deluded' like an Audi :D

I know a guy with a 115bhp TDI A4 and he genuinely believes his car is quicker than mine.
    I can't convince him otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 goldenlass

very funny thread- i especially like the avensis and the farmer going to mass!!!!
    hasnt been a mention of golfs?? theyr fairly common.. wht type of person drives them?

goldenlass wrote: »
    very funny thread- i especially like the avensis and the farmer going to mass!!!!
    hasnt been a mention of golfs?? theyr fairly common.. wht type of person drives them?

Legal secretaries
    Librarians
    Computer nerds

GTi: as above, just faster

* All of whom use the local public recycling facilities *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

goldenlass wrote: »

A Golf seems to appeal to the masses, from people in their first cars to pensioners. Don’t think you can pigeon hole the drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

golfdiva wrote: »
    A Golf seems to appeal to the masses, from people in their first cars to pensioners. Don’t think you can pigeon hole the drivers.

Oh yes you can. They're the type who just don't care about cars. They're the same people who'd buy a Passat without a thought :eek: :( Hell I'd buy a Fiat just to compare reliability rates :D

golfdiva wrote: »
    Sure you can - conservative and fearful. They think they'll be safe in a Golf.;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

man i feel paramoid about my audi now.. :(

Only got it cause it was going for a bargin and it was the cleanest, in the best condition and most reasonably priced of the 3 cars I had shortlisted..

*sniff sniff* :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmm.. think we need some balance here! :p

I drive a 06 2.0 TDI Passat and not only do I know where the indicators are, but I can and DO use them too!

I also don't "hog" the overtaking lane, but nor will I weave in and out of it because others can't do 120 when it's safe/appropriate to do 120! (this applies to the 100 limit on N-roads too)

Oh and I want to trade up to an A6 (08 onwards) or - if money permitted at the time - perhaps the upcoming 2011 5 series that looks niiice from the spy shots I've seen posted!

So.. what am I/will I be? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 goldenlass

5 series are hard.. right you might be the car behind me on the motorway up my arse when I just cant get a space to go into slow lane!!!!! :D:D:D:D or you might be an auld lad who has retired and wants to spend his money on a nice big car....
    i personally love 5series- but couldnt see myself in one for a while yet... i gave up on the one i was going to get!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

To answer the question - yes, of course they do.

I'm surprised this thread has gone 7 pages before THE LOCK....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Range Rovers yet - they tend to be driven slowly and parked on footpaths/double yellow lines by blonde women with sunglasses on their heads. Granted many of them have been repossessed by now, but still..

I drive a range rover and dont drive it slow, nor am i a woman.

I do park on footpaths though! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Transits/HiAces = travellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Volvoboy wrote: »

Either a Saxo, Colt or Fiesta...with a gaudy full body kit (including skirts), spoiler, air intake panel on the bonnet tinted windows front, sides and back, massive loud exhaust (x 4), bucket seats and racing seat belts and ridiculous lights. You also have an insane stereo system with sub woofer in what used to be the boot. All in all you've spent twice the value of the car on it's looks and won't be able to sell it to anybody with an ounce of sense. :D

/seriously? A 22 year old male from Northside Dublin. I'd say you drive anything you can get insured on...which probably means a 1-1.2L corsa, clio or punto :D

congo_90 wrote: »
    funny how no-one mentioned ford or Jag....
    Jaguar? Middle-aged man who likes to take 'fine young fillies' for dinner and weekend breaks in country houses while constantly talking about his 'Jag'

From 40 seconds in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Volkswagen Polo: Teenage to early twenties young female's, covered in fake tan and one day aspire to own a Golf and don't have a clue that the SEAT Leon/Skoda Octavia are the same car with better value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement