Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do certain type of people, drive certain type of car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

pcardin wrote: »
    I don't drive skoda or vw, in fact, I hate everything what's made by VAG but even I know that difference between them is minor. Like a coke - regular, zero, light or made by Spar shop - still the same coke.

I have driven both cars and they are the same apart from the badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

RoverJames wrote: »
    Why folks pay the premium for Audi and VW over Seat and Skoda is beyond me.

The badge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, I drive a new MINI, so I'm a raving packer of fudge, and I drive a Rover 75, so I'm also a pensioner who wets himself and forgets where he's going. Who are you all? Where am I? I had an onion on my belt which was the fashion at the time ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

"'Gimme 5 bees for a quarter you'd say"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Marlow wrote: »
    Also, what they drive most likely isn't precisely a new car.
    /M
    Eh, so snobish and sarcastic to say so. They drive what they can afford. This obsession to buy a new car every year is pure Irish thing. Can you name any other country with so many new cars on the roads? And since all
    EU countries are united Ireland can not stop them driving in with their cars. Have a problem with a road tax? Add the tax to the petrol price like many other countries does. The more you drive the more you pay. And everybody will pay no matter what reg the car has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Eh, so snobish and sarcastic to say so. They drive what they can afford. This obsession to buy a new car every year is pure Irish thing. Can you name any other country with so many new cars on the roads? And since all
    EU countries are united Ireland can not stop them driving in with their cars. Have a problem with a road tax? Add the tax to the petrol price like many other countries does. The more you drive the more you pay. And everybody will pay no matter what reg the car has.

Did I offend you in some way, as you seem to constantly be after me ?

There was no snobbish nor sarcastic meaning behind that statement.

The statement, that it's not precisely a new car had nothing to do with the status of the car, nor what they can afford or not.

It had to do with, that if it was a new car, customs would go after them. Same, if it was a high spec luxury car.

The car being of an older type means, customs doesn't really care too much.

Both my cars are 10 years old and that has nothing to do with anything, but that I just don't like the new models, nor think, that it's financially viable to rip up a new vehicle on the irish roads. I don't care if people drive new cars, old cars, foreign reg cars, irish reg cars, whatever.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

This obsession to buy a new car every year is pure Irish thing.

I only know ONE person who used to change his car every year because he could afford to.

So I would love to know what facts you base your assumption on.

BMW drivers tend to be blond women who think they have made it now they have there beeemer, but then don't realise that every 3rd car is a 3 series.

My mate said women who owned 206's always went 206-golf-3 series. So far I know of three women in 3 houses beside me who have done exactly that. Man does he know his stuff.

Ok. I misunderstood you. I take my words back. And I'm not chasing you. :)

I only know ONE person who used to change his car every year because he could afford to.

So I would love to know what facts you base your assumption on.

Actually, that assumption, is not really an assumption. It's pretty much fact.

So much so, that the dealerships started to market it. "Buy a new car this year and get the new model next year for free" type marketing campaigns.

I also pretty much agree on the irish "i need a reg from this year" posh thing, as I bought a 04 Volvo C70 convertible in 05 with 4k miles on the clock. 15k under the new price. So i pretty much made profit from that stupid behaviour

The car was for sale, because the woman, that used to own it, needed a new car in '05 ... It's a bit of a thing around posh areas in south Dublin.

Now .. the same behaviour is seen in the rich Galway areas, but obviously not this year, as the money sort of has dried up.

Another fact, you can base this on, is the extreme downturn in car sales. People just don't have the money to replace their 08 with an 09 this year.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Marlow wrote: »
    It had to do with, that if it was a new car, customs would go after them. Same, if it was a high spec luxury car.

The car being of an older type means, customs doesn't really care too much.

/M

If they're only here temporarily (up to a year I think?) or if they're re-locating and taking the car with them (one per car, they have to own it one year prior to the move and can't sell for a year after) then customs don't care anyway. Well they can care all they like, but they're not getting a penny in VRT. Road tax though, they'd care about that...
    Have a problem with a road tax? Add the tax to the petrol price like many other countries does. The more you drive the more you pay. And everybody will pay no matter what reg the car has.

In theory I'd agree with you, but it's not going far enough. You're forgetting that there's already a tax on the petrol. If you ask me, we should just abolish road tax and leave the petrol tax the way it is. It's not like the money goes on the roads anyway, it's all pumped into the black hole we call the Dept. of Finance. Where it goes after that is beyond the scope of an on-topic, lighthearted discussion about cars (and, I admit, this post is already questionable in that regard).

• Advertisement

Richie15 wrote: »
    If they're only here temporarily (up to a year I think?) or if they're re-locating and taking the car with them (one per car, they have to own it one year prior to the move and can't sell for a year after) then customs don't care anyway. Well they can care all they like, but they're not getting a penny in VRT. Road tax though, they'd care about that...

Not enough money to care about road tax. Much more profitable to go after new luxury carriages :)

And yes, if they owned the car 6 months before relocating to Ireland customs would get zero in VRT anyway.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Land Rover drivers are usually horsey types. Retired teachers generally drive Ford Focus saloons. People with estates are usually dogging types. Any passat cc on the road is a mad busy manager on a mission in his company car:)

Fyp

What are Ford focus drivers? I see so many people driving em. Say the 00-03 type. Always a pet hate car of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

It doesn't help that the government did the trade a favour by announcing to the world what year the car is on the reg. plate ...

gee, it's almost like they were trying to force people to buy new cars ...

What kind of people are driving those freakin' expensive Q7, Cayenne, ML, Range Rover Sport etc off-roaders with no back windows and usually in black colour?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What kind of people are driving those freakin' expensive Q7, Cayenne, ML, Range Rover Sport etc off-roaders with no back windows and usually in black colour?!

IMG_1928.jpg

//runs for cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mikkael wrote: »
    It doesn't help that the government did the trade a favour by announcing to the world what year the car is on the reg. plate ...

gee, it's almost like they were trying to force people to buy new cars ...
    < puts on tinfoil hat >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

i never see the point of buying a x5 or Cayenne etc. with intent of using it as a commercial.

Buy a transit for f00k sake! :P

i never see the point of buying a x5 or Cayenne etc. with intent of using it as a commercial.

indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

RoverJames wrote: »
    Since the start of the year I've had a 1997 Rover 400 diesel, a 1993 Prelude, a 1992 Merc 250 diesel and now have a 1997 Rover Tomcat (Coupe with T bar roof). I quite fancy a Range Rover (old one if you hadn't gathered) or a 200sx next. I have also had a Celica and a Rover 600 over the last couple of years.

Obviously this thread isn't about gerneralisations, preconceptions or prejudices, but by any chance do you wear a cloth cap and smoke a pipe whilst driving?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Its too show how much money they have nothing more nothing less !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Because you can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I had this exact arguement with someone a few months ago, she was thinking of getting an SUV for the space (ahem...)
    Supposedly there's more space in the back for baby seats etc. Yeh but you're compromising boot space, parking spot space, etc. Would ya not just get a Tourneo, or a passenger Traffic/Primastar or something?
    "But the CO2 emissions of a SUV aren't as bad as people make out..."
    I didn't mention CO2, I'm just saying I fail to see the advantage besides snobbery. And this girl isn't even the snobbish kind!

Then she said I was a feckin' eejit, 'cos I wanted a van for the more comfortable driving position. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Pasaat, Mondeo, A4, or 3er in decreasing order of probability.
    Certainly not a late 1994 two tone Toyota CarinaE :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I drive a 94 BMW M3. I don't like the new Beamers or mercs and hate Audi If I had to buy a new car would probably get one of those kia thingies because I think most small hatches are the same and you only pay a premium for the badge. Think I'll stick with my 94 plate for now.

I drive a 94 BMW M3. I don't like the new Beamers or mercs and hate Audi If I had to buy a new car would probably get one of those kia thingies because I think most small hatches are the same and you only pay a premium for the badge. Think I'll stick with my 94 plate for now.

There's a lot of people who don't like E60 and newer. Some don't like the E39 either, but that's the exception. Same goes for the 3-series.

And the Audi's from the end-90's and start-00 were really not nice.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Because you can?

You can stick a fork in your own eye too :D......but thats just silly

blackbox wrote: »
    Obviously this thread isn't about gerneralisations, preconceptions or prejudices, but by any chance do you wear a cloth cap and smoke a pipe whilst driving?:rolleyes:

Defo, especially in the Celica and Prelude :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if you need a commercial vehicle for work and less than 90% of your work is deliveries then its a little pointless buying a transit, also being stuck in traffic with climate control and a decent audio setup is nice, 4wd is very useful if you do any work near/on building sites or drive down country roads a lot, and the leather seats are really comfortable for long journeys

people do have a certain type of car
    renault - woman/knob
    mondeo in poverty spec missing a hubcap - gard
    range rover - woman with a rich husband who sends kids to terenure college (they should put a dealership on the grounds there , its like a convoy of them at 3pm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Souwester

Hyundai coupe .....possibly driven by hairdressers but it's a fact that 90% or more of them will be 25 - 40, blonde and female and the car will usually be silver in colour and have the sunroof on tilt.

Sorry I'm not more specific.....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ...stephen...

Why would you buy a transit when you can afford the likes of a range rover as a commercial vechical!... It can tow way more, go off road, abit of comfort etc.... "its just a good van"... Like the range rover is your work vechical!,, who gives a **** about it... its only a car...

Why would you buy a transit when you can afford the likes of a range rover as a commercial vechical!... It can tow way more, go off road, abit of comfort etc.... "its just a good van"... Like the range rover is your work vechical!,, who gives a **** about it... its only a car...

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

:confused:

If you are trying to say a RR makes a better van than a transit then you are an idiot. They would not have a fraction of the load space or versatility of a transit. I doubt you'd fit any pallets in a Range Rover commercial and even if you do i wouldnt like to be trying to get them out again without damaging the tailgate. Jeeps make useless vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

samsemtex wrote: »
    If you are trying to say a RR makes a better van than a transit then you are an idiot.
    Banned for a week for personal abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Asian doctors working in Ireland usually drive a Japanese import (something like a 00 Corolla or Nissan Bluebird or a Toyota Premio).
    Farmers drive Avensis, ok but only the saloon.
    What type of people drive the hatchback? English or someone returning home with no taste in cars, only getting from a to b. Go to any toyota dealer or independent dealer and you'll find a lot of UK reg 08/09 nearly new hatchbacks.......
    oh, and what type of people drive Nissan Figaros?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Short wheelbase transit, chrome towbar, orange lights on top, padre pio sticker on the windscreen, dog in the back, another one on the passenger seat.

any takers? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

G Luxel wrote: »
    and what type of people drive Nissan Figaros?

Lucy Kennedy! Mmmmmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Short wheelbase transit, chrome towbar, orange lights on top, padre pio sticker on the windscreen, dog in the back, another one on the passenger seat.

any takers? :D

Carpet or Tarmac salesmen. :D

Muckie wrote: »
    Carpet or Tarmac salesmen. :D

Don't forget the copper merchant:D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

I drive too fast, am ignornant and always in the overtaking lane. I "supposedly" never use my indicators.

What do I drive?

Beemer 3 series. Probably a debaged 318 or 320 with an M sport badge and body kit? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Micras are common amongst hoop earring wearing tracksuit aficionados seem common in parts of Dublin:)

Whats with all the audi hate-we're not all ignorant pricks?

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

whats the stereotype for Lancer drivers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

oxegen85 wrote: »
    whats the stereotype for Lancer drivers??

Oh don't forget the lexus lights on them too..... Awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭inlimboland

Passat drivers - courteous, responsible, friendly and safe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

where on earth did you get that impression :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

They're like the poor... they'll always be with us... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Muckie wrote: »
    sporty mini

Sir, you're mistaken surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Stingey people drive Skoda's.

and bang on about them on boards ad nauseum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

According to mywheels.ie, the transit is the best seller in biffo country in 2009 :D

http://www.mywheels.ie/VehicleStatistics.aspx
    Click on Offaly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I have an Audi A3 140 bhp tdi and may swop for a new Golf GTD.

Who am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

someone with too much time on their hands

• Advertisement
Advertisement