Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPA or ACCA

Options
  • 25-10-2009 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Which do you recommend? From what I gather the only difference is that I can continue studying for my ACCA's abroad whereas if I start a CPA I have to stick it out in Ireland until Im qualified. I was also considering starting one of these at home as I have finished college(Degree in Accounting) but cannot get a job. Has anyone done this or can they advise me? Would it be too difficult to do on my own or too expensive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Hi,

I'm an ACCA, so can be considered biased.

However, one major handicap to the CPA from an Exam point of view is that CPA insist on students taking several exams together (I think 4) at the later stages and you must pass these exams within 4 sittings or you lose all passed exams.

I would also contend that the Chartered Certified qualification is more prestigious than the relatively new Irish CPA qualification, but that's open to debate (usually only by CPAs :D )

Both have hard exams to pass. To be fair most take these exams while in accounting/audit work, and the practical experience makes the exams easier to pass, but can be done. Home study is definitely the cheaper option, but would recommend lectures for the finals.

Another deciding factor may be the exemptions you get for your degree.

Good luck

Advertisement