Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with a Photograprahic Technique.

• 25-10-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

I would like to try and mimic this photo for cosplays and stuff. I tried before using my Nikon D60 with the lens it came with but it didn't come out as good. My boyfriend says that he would need to take the photo of me faraway and use a good zooming lens to zoom into my face to make the face big and my body small. Is this the way to go or could I achieve this effect with the lens I already have? Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sousie.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

What image are you trying to mimic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Eirebear wrote: »
    What image are you trying to mimic?

Is the image showing now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

you need a wide angle lens and get close to the head, the wider the lens the more extreme the effect, a zoom from a distance would make head and feet the relative size they are.

EDIT:This might help you
    http://photographysitepro.com/articles/using-wide-angle-lens-distortion-creatively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Looks like you need a wide angle lens..

& I was just listening to Siouxsie And The Banshees haha :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Is the image showing now?

yep, as said above. A wide angle lens looking down from head height should do the trick.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks everyone.
    dazftw wrote: »
    I was just listening to Siouxsie And The Banshees haha :)

Yeah there are a great band, nice to know there is another fan out there as they seems to be very few.

Thanks for this. It is very interesting, I must now invest in a wide angle lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

What len's do you have?, 18-55mm?, at the 18mm end you should get an acceptable result if you get as close to the face that you can focus at.
    If this is the lens you have the 18mm end would be equivilent to 27mm in 35mm format which is wide angle, I wouldn't go running to buy a lens just yet, experiment with what you have first, you could achieve that photo with what you have.

I,m assuming you have the standard kit lens for the d60

uprising wrote: »
    What len's do you have?, 18-55mm?, at the 18mm end you should get an acceptable result if you get as close to the face that you can focus at.
    If this is the lens you have the 18mm end would be equivilent to 27mm in 35mm format which is wide angle, I wouldn't go running to buy a lens just yet, experiment with what you have first, you could achieve that photo with what you have.

I,m assuming you have the standard kit lens for the d60

Yeah I have the 18-55mm one. I understand you saying I should experiment with what I have which I agree but as I mentioned earlier my boyfriend tried it and it didn't come out well. I am not which mm he had the lens on though but we could try again leaving the lens on 18mm which you suggested and see if there is a difference. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yeah there are a great band, nice to know there is another fan out there as they seems to be very few.

Heh, for years when anyone googled my name the first result was a post I made to the siouxsie and the banshees mailing list in 1994. Its been replaced long since by flickr results and work related stuff.

Heh, for years when anyone googled my name the first result was a post I made to the siouxsie and the banshees mailing list in 1994. Its been replaced long since by flickr results and work related stuff.

Wow really. Back in 1994 I was only a little teenage slowly getting into Nirvana and Grunge music. I love Siouxsie Sioux's style and her dark creepy voice. It was the song Dear Prudence which got me into the band and of course her style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Showing your age there Daire (and mine) nobody interesting ever seemed to come to Dublin back then..... Though Dublin was far far away........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Where abouts are you Butterscotch?

If it's around Dublin then we could arrange a time to meet & try shooting the shot with a much wider lens. That shot looks like it was done with a lens a bit wider than 28mm but not a lot, probably about 24mm, which would be about 16mm on a D60.

I have a Sigma 10-20mm for Nikon which should be able to replicate the angle.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Where abouts are you Butterscotch?

If it's around Dublin then we could arrange a time to meet & try shooting the shot with a much wider lens. That shot looks like it was done with a lens a bit wider than 28mm but not a lot, probably about 24mm, which would be about 16mm on a D60.

I have a Sigma 10-20mm for Nikon which should be able to replicate the angle.

I live outside Dublin. I think it is best that I fiddle around with the lens since people here have gave me good advice about my own lens so I will try that first.

Thanks anyway CabanSail, I appreciate your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I bit of digging resulted in this:

http://www.vamp.org/Siouxsie/Text/kdeyoe.94/0070.html

wow, didnt know the internet was even available in ireland back then :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As said before ... Use the lens at 18mm & shoot in Aperture Priority with the lens as wide open as possible. The fact that she is leaning towards the lens also with the camera high & pointing down.

If you don't already, shoot in RAW as this will give you more scope for Post Production of the image. You will need to get quite a high level of contrast in your Mono Conversion.

Thanks again for the advice. You all have been very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

landyman wrote: »
    I bit of digging resulted in this:

http://www.vamp.org/Siouxsie/Text/kdeyoe.94/0070.html

wow, didnt know the internet was even available in ireland back then :p

hee hee...

My mam served her at a do in the gresham back in the 80s. I was such a *huge* fan, but my mam said she was a bitch :D

Aaaaaaanyway... yeah you should be able to get it with the 18mm. Might need something a bit wider though...

sineadw wrote: »
    hee hee...

My mam served her at a do in the gresham back in the 80s. I was such a *huge* fan, but my mam said she was a bitch :D

Wow, lol apparently she isn't a nice person. I heard somewhere on the internet that she was really annoyed with Robert Smith when he left the band and she refused to talk to him. Not sure if it is just a rumour or true. I watched some of her interviews on youtube and she did seem stuck up yet in some photos of her she seems approachable. I don't know really but I would take your mam's word for it giving she met her. What I find really funny about Siouxsie Sioux is she was incomplete denile about being Goth.:p

I am really suprised how this thread is turning out, I honestly thought alot of people didn't know who they are.... Yeah I knew there were fans of the band somewhere but are very hidden and not many and it is all coming out here. :) I say there are very few fans becuase I NEVER came across a fan at all on the internet or only met one or two face to face.
    Aaaaaaanyway... yeah you should be able to get it with the 18mm. Might need something a bit wider though...

Cool like I said, I will give it a shot with my own lens and if not satisfied I will look into getting a better one. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I went to see Siouxsie play in Cabra, Dublin - early 80's I think.

Advertisement