Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennel Peeps

Options
  • 25-10-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Let's someone takes a dog to a boarding kennel, pays for a week, never to return to collect the dog. Phonecalls are not answered and letters come back saying the person had left the premises and no longer lives there. What is the legal situation of said dog? Can the owner be done for abandonment? How can a boarding kennel "dispose" of the dog? And if said dog is registered with the IKC is there any legal obligation of the boarding kennel to hand the dog back to the breeder?

Anyone please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I'm only guessing here, i would think it's the same as if you find a stray, you report it to the guards and after one year if the dog is not claimed it's yours.
    If the person shows up before the year is up they'll have a large bill to pay before they can have the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It would depend on the contract that the owner signed when putting the dog into the kennel, if they signed anything at all.

I have a contract that states that if the dog is not picked up 15 days after the agreed date, that I can dispose of the dog. Obviously that means I would rehome it, and not have it PTS. If the dog was chipped and the breeder was reputable, then yes, I would return it to the breeder.

Sorry re-read your post. No, I don't believe there would be a legal obligation, as the breeder sold the dog to somebody who, by the terms of the boarding agreement, has, by not collecting the animal when agreed, handed that dog's ownership over to the boarding kennel.

Advertisement