Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with buying a tailor made desktop.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

That's a lovely machine, FOAK.

The RAM will let you down, not in gaming, but if you're heavily into HD video production with Sony Vegas/Aivid/Adobe Premiere/Adobe After Effects, and real-time audio effects processing in Adobe Audition/Protools/Reason, etc., but you can always upgrade at a later date if you're that way inclined. Gaming wise, 4GB is more than plenty these days.

Best of luck with the build and the OS installation. Hopefully it will go smoothly to plan for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Oh Shush you! The ram is perfectly fine. Doubling the cost of the ram will give him an increase in synthetic benchmarks but for real life applications its fine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

MrMagic1 wrote: »
    Pointless buying an "N" adapter if your wifi router is the Netopia "G"

but sure they are backwards compatible anyway (unless you're using A, in which case it's time for an upgrade anyway). It's a wee bit of speculative future proofing for little additional cost.

Btw Four of a Kind, i forgot to say, the drivers and software that comes with the card aren't great (it's a cheapo after all). It's a bog standard Ralink chip though, as found in the likes of the MSI wind and that, so if you find yourself having bother with it better to go direct to the Ralink website and download the drivers for the 2860 (found here). Seems to solve most issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Ramdisk - Solid State Drive (SSD). Are these both the same? A poster earlier in this tread suggested that I get a SSD and run win 7 and a few select items off it.

Could someone give me a run down of what exactly a ramdisk/SSD would enable me to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Ramdisk - Solid State Drive (SSD). Are these both the same? A poster earlier in this tread suggested that I get a SSD and run win 7 and a few select items off it.

Could someone give me a run down of what exactly a ramdisk/SSD would enable me to do?

Ramdisks are more for servers than anything else.

A SSD is essentially a Hugh Flash memory Stick that is 9001 times faster than a HDD as there are no moving parts. The only problem is that they are Very Expensive (Averages to $3/GB compared to something like $0.35/GB for HDDs)

• Advertisement
Advertisement