Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another possible first time builder.

Options
  • 25-10-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks trying to learn what I can as I would like to build my own computer. I've been thinking of replacing my old laptop for awhile and just haven't been impressed with the options available prebuilt and eventually ended up here.

I mainly use my computer for surfing the net and photo editing, (processing of raw file and Photoshop CS3) but would like to be able to play the latest games on it also. My current laptop struggles even with photos and I'm also thinking of upgrading my DSLR soon which would lead to even bigger files and possibly HD video editing so I would like my computer to be able to cope.

Ok so down to the detail. I need everything as I've no old parts that I can salvage. My budget would be around €800-€900 without monitor as in the short term at least I’ll probably connect up to my 46” 1080p TV. I've no current plan to OC but may wish to in future. This is going to be a Christmas present to myself and would be hoping to get some of the parts from siblings and better half as gifts to ease the burden on my pocket:D. So multiple buys probably put hardwareversand out of the picture.

I’m up for suggestions on everything but this is what I’ve come up with myself so far:

Intel Core i5-750
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
    Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9
    Antec Nine hundred II
    Corsair 650HX
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    Sony NEC DVD±RW AD-7241S
    ATI Radeon HD 5750
    Windows 7 64bit

I believe this will all work together but what would you change?

I think I’m pretty happy with the processor, motherboard, power supply, dvd drive, hard drive and operating system, but am not really sure on RAM, Graphics Card or case. I picked the 5750 as it’s shiny and new even if it’s currently possibly overpriced (hopefully cheaper by xmas). Which brands of Graphics cards are recommended? The Antec 902 and Coolermaster HAF922 seem to be recommended a lot here but anything else I should consider?

Anything else I’d need or is recommend for a first build? Fans CPU cooler…?

I’ve been mainly looking at komlpett, dabs and ebuyer for prices. Anywhere else I should be looking. I’ve done up a spread sheet comparing prices of similar builds of these 3 and Hardwareversand which others might be interested in so I’ve attached it. Prices shown are at the time of drawing up the spread sheet but each are linked to the product page so you can get an up to date price. Not all products were available on each site so there are some differences. Particularly with dabs so it appears more expensive. Ebuyer doesn’t actually come too far off hardwareversand due to the weak sterling and they seem to have stock of everything I've listed.

Sorry for the long post any advice or help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Fran426ft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Haha, you sir know your stuff, having picked the exact same CPU/Motherboard combo I did :D And I managed to get my 750 to 4GHz Stable ;)

Anywho, you want advice on the RAM, Graphics Card, Case and CPU Cooler.

Ram: Perfectly Fine. I am a Kingston Ram Myself, but Crucial are a good brand too :)

Graphics Card: Bad time to be in the market for one of these tbh. the 4xxx havent gone down yet, the 5xxx are too new and overpriced, and nVidia just suck 8 ways to Sunday. In my opinion though, and 5850 is a better option atm than the 5750. More expensive, but much more powerful/future proof.

Case: Antec 902 sucks epicly. What you want is a CM Scout Storm :D Looks delicious and the cables are pre-done behind the mobo plate, making Cable manegment a doddle. Just remember to remove the stock fans tho and replace them with some others (I recomend/am using the Scythe Slipstream 1900 RMP from QuietPC.)

CPU Cooler: Here, I am a little bias. I have myself a Xigmatek Thors Hammer with 2 of the above mentioned fans strapped to it. The drawback though is that it is so big, it blocks one of the side fan ports, meaning you have to mount the fan on the outside. Also, it doesn't come with a i5 Backplate, which you'll have to ebay seperatly. I'll let someone else recomend a CPU cooler that isn't nearly 1.5Kg :P

As for multiple buys, check out ebuyer. They have a reasonable shipping rate (I have never paied more than £9.99, though it may be more for a lot of stuff) and excellent prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Haha, you sir know your stuff, having picked the exact same CPU/Motherboard combo I did :D And I managed to get my 750 to 4GHz Stable ;)

Haha thanks but all i know I picked up from reading posts here. I'm a quick learner but still a novice when it comes to building.
    Graphics Card: Bad time to be in the market for one of these tbh.
    Tell me about it this is definately my biggest confusion.

I had a look at the CM storm Scout and it looks like a nice case. I'll definetely consider it and it's not a bad price on ebuyer either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

fran426ft wrote: »
    I had a look at the CM storm Scout and it looks like a nice case. I'll definetely consider it and it's not a bad price on ebuyer either.

Nope, it's a great deal. You've picked a nice PSU too, the same one I am buying soon too :D

Stop reading my mind :D

But yeah, Peats has the 5850, see the thread I made on "where to buy the 5850" :P

But yeah, Peats has the 5850, see the thread I made on "where to buy the 5850" :P

But for a high price still. I'm unsure if it's performance justifies making it the most expensive part of the build by a good bit when say a 4890 could be had for around €150. Could it really be worth that much? I can't help feeling at that price I could make a compromise in the short term on one of the older/cheaper cards and upgrade in the future.

That said it would be nice to get it all the way I'd like first time.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

You also might want to get a smaller more compact mATX case and board, a lot of these cases are wind turbine women repellers so ye be warned

• Advertisement

Point taken but I have no problem with the size of an mid tower ATX case and they should offer better air flow.

Also if my computer is driving away women I think I probably have bigger problems to start with :D

Can you offer any suggestions on a case that wouldn't be excessively loud but still offers good air flow? I assume I would get an improvement in noise by changing out the stock fans for most cases.

Advertisement