Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bradford to enter next years draft

• 26-10-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

After having his season ended early by an awful shoulder injury, Sam Bradford has confirmed he will enter next seasons draft in April. Recovery time post surgery is a few months.

Thoughts on this? I know its very early in the current season but any thoughts on where he might go?

Personally, I think he's a dynamite QB. Will prob end up at the Bucs if their season keeps going as is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

whats his 40 yard time like? Al davis loves measurables!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

After having his season ended early by an awful shoulder injury, Sam Bradford has confirmed he will enter next seasons draft in April. Recovery time post surgery is a few months.

Thoughts on this? I know its very early in the current season but any thoughts on where he might go?

Personally, I think he's a dynamite QB. Will prob end up at the Bucs if their season keeps going as is.

Bucs arent going to invest heavily in another QB at the top of the round. It will be interesting to see where Bradford goes, I can't seeing him dropping too far unless just because it will only take one teams doctor to say that the shoulder wont be a long term recurring injury. The one thing that this season has shown is that even the best QBs in college need a good line with some experience, both times that Bradford got injured the line was nowhere and blitzers came through on him in no time.

The QB crop will be excellent next year because the one thing that guys like Jimmy Clausen will take note of is that if you come back there is the chance of getting hurt like Bradford so you better get the money now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeah he'll still go top 10 I think. Wouldn't put it past Mangini or the Titans to take him. Carolina might too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The injury concerns is where its at with him now. He might not go very high at all if there are question marks over it. Will he make the combine next year, he needs to make it to give himself a good chance of going early.

I personally think that McCoy and Tebow will go ahead of him at this stage, and if Clausen decides to go in the draft he will be another first rounder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

He was a dead cert for #1 IMO. That won't happen now. Somewhere around 10 - 15 I reckon. Someone like the Redskins might invest in a Franchise QB, but the Rams* will likely choose McCoy, if they draft a QB at all. Bucs, Titans, Chiefs, Browns, Lions, Raiders won't draft a QB. But even if one of these may have been tempted for McCoy or Bradford pre-injury, they won't be now.

*Rams will get first pick IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ceartgoleor

With the potential for a rookie pay scale to be in place its expected nearly all the big name college talent will declare for this years draft, when the contracts are still huge potentially.

Bradford could very probably have got at No. 1 last year to Detroit if he'd declared-as it is, despite being so young, he's cost himself a fortune potentially by doing the right thing and staying in school for another year.

Clausen, Tebow, Colt McCoy should all declare, but at the moment ESPN are saying the top QB coming out will be Jake Locker, the Washington qb who beat a Matt Barkley-less USC earlier in the season.

Clausen, Tebow, Colt McCoy should all declare, but at the moment ESPN are saying the top QB coming out will be Jake Locker, the Washington qb who beat a Matt Barkley-less USC earlier in the season.

Tebow and McCoy are seniors as are Jevon Sneed, Max Hall, Tony Pike and a few other very good QBs so the depth should be pretty good next year with experienced qbs. I think that the Bradford injury will make up Clausen's mind for him and he'll declare after the season.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Tebow and McCoy are seniors as are Jevon Sneed, Max Hall, Tony Pike and a few other very good QBs so the depth should be pretty good next year with experienced qbs. I think that the Bradford injury will make up Clausen's mind for him and he'll declare after the season.

Yeah you're right-at the moment it almost looks like there are more top quality QB's than teams who need/are willing to pay top quality QB's. Guys that have first round talent could be dropping to the bottom of the 2nd. Good year to be looking for a solid back-up to groom for the future, like the Packers did a few years ago with Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah you're right-at the moment it almost looks like there are more top quality QB's than teams who need/are willing to pay top quality QB's. Guys that have first round talent could be dropping to the bottom of the 2nd. Good year to be looking for a solid back-up to groom for the future, like the Packers did a few years ago with Aaron Rodgers.

Yeah its probably the best year for depth at QBs since 04. In 04 the class was led by Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger along with Matt Schuab all starters today. Also selected early was former Bills starter JP Losman. Of course this class could turn out to perform in the NFL like the 03 class with only Carson Palmer proving to be a sucess-
    Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller and Chris Simms all struggling for one reason or another. As a side note Rex Grossman was in this class as well selected 22nd overall. Each of these were very highly rated at one point or another by analysts which shows just how much of a risk the draft is each year

With the potential for a rookie pay scale to be in place its expected nearly all the big name college talent will declare for this years draft, when the contracts are still huge potentially.
    This doesn't affect things nearly as much as you might think. Even a rookie pay scale would still see the top picks getting big money. If a player feels he will got top 10 in 2011 then coming out next year is a huge risk with the depth that will be in that draft anyways, especially at QB. You would have to be certain of being a top 15 pick next year to make it worth your while imo.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    This doesn't affect things nearly as much as you might think. Even a rookie pay scale would still see the top picks getting big money. If a player feels he will got top 10 in 2011 then coming out next year is a huge risk with the depth that will be in that draft anyways, especially at QB. You would have to be certain of being a top 15 pick next year to make it worth your while imo.

Maybe so, but still all the talk is that the days of top 3 picks getting $60m contracts are over, to almost universal support across the league. The head of the NFLPA has spoken on the destabilising influence it has on a team when you've got a kid who has done nothing come into a dressing room full of established pro's and immediately be one of the best if not the best paid player amongst them. The NFLPA are the only conceivable party to this who would have batted for high rookie salaries, clearly the owners etc have no opposition to a significant drop.

davyjose wrote: »
    Titans, Browns.... won't draft a QB.

Out of interest, what makes you think that? Browns clearly don't like what they have with Anderson and Quinn and Titans look ready to give up on Vince young and kerry collins has shown he can't pass the team to success.

jdivision wrote: »
    Out of interest, what makes you think that? Browns clearly don't like what they have with Anderson and Quinn and Titans look ready to give up on Vince young and kerry collins has shown he can't pass the team to success.

Well you could be right, but in the case of the Browns, it would be foolish to think their problems lie at QB, they drafted Brady Quinn, he was a Bust; Derek Anderson looks like a bust too. Now they are IMO decent QB's, so do they really want to fix a position where they actually have a little bit of talent?

As for the Titans, if they could flush Young's contract down the toilet, they might go for an early draft QB, but I don't think they can. i think they have to pay him or play him, and using up a 5th of your salary cap on QB's, with all the problems they have seems unlikely.

I could be very, very wrong though. But not every poor team simply needs a new QB to fix everything. Last year everyone thought Miami needed a QB, they drafted an O Lineman, and went from 1-15 to take the AFC East. I think the above teams need to do similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Well you could be right, but in the case of the Browns, it would be foolish to think their problems lie at QB, they drafted Brady Quinn, he was a Bust; Derek Anderson looks like a bust too. Now they are IMO decent QB's, so do they really want to fix a position where they actually have a little bit of talent?

As for the Titans, if they could flush Young's contract down the toilet, they might go for an early draft QB, but I don't think they can. i think they have to pay him or play him, and using up a 5th of your salary cap on QB's, with all the problems they have seems unlikely.

I could be very, very wrong though. But not every poor team simply needs a new QB to fix everything. Last year everyone thought Miami needed a QB, they drafted an O Lineman, and went from 1-15 to take the AFC East. I think the above teams need to do similar.

Their problem is Mangini simple as. He is a sh1t coach and cant get the best out of his players and his system sucks. He crashed and burned with the Jets last year after having them in control of the AFC East and crashed and burned. Now he is trying to make it out it the QBs fault for the Browns poor play when the browns are struggling all over the shop. They went from having potential to nothing at all. And the games he was playing over Anderson and Quinn in the Preseason sums up Mangini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Titans need a DT. I mean when you lose one of the best NT in the game and don't really replace him it's asking for trouble. Look at the first 3 games they lost, 3 points to the superbowl champs, lost by 7 points to a good Jets team. At this there 0-3 and must realise there season is basically done. The problem is they havent gotten any penetration for the DL and that's the reason there 32nd in pass yards. With them having a top picks they should really go for Suh. I said it last year, I thought Bradford was crazy no to declare as he would of been 1st or 2nd QB taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The injury concerns is where its at with him now. He might not go very high at all if there are question marks over it. Will he make the combine next year, he needs to make it to give himself a good chance of going early.

I personally think that McCoy and Tebow will go ahead of him at this stage, and if Clausen decides to go in the draft he will be another first rounder.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong. McCoy will be a late 2nd round pick at the very, very best. And while Tebow is sure to be drafted too high, his ceiling is way below the top half of the first round.

If Clausen declares at this stage he will be the 1st QB selected in April's draft, probably followed by Jake Locker. Bradford will still go high enough in the first round assuming he gets an early all clear on his health.

As it happens, his situation will have long term implications for the college game. Bradford would have been the no.1 pick in last April's draft if he had declared, but he made the highly honorable decision to return and try and lead OU to a National Championship. That decision is going to end up impacting him financially (both in terms of his initial NFL contract and any endorsements he picks up). As a result, NFL ready Junior QBs will be more likely to avoid such a decision during the next few years.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is wrong, wrong, wrong. McCoy will be a late 2nd round pick at the very, very best. And while Tebow is sure to be drafted too high, his ceiling is way below the top half of the first round.

If Clausen declares at this stage he will be the 1st QB selected in April's draft, probably followed by Jake Locker. Bradford will still go high enough in the first round assuming he gets an early all clear on his health.

As it happens, his situation will have long term implications for the college game. Bradford would have been the no.1 pick in last April's draft if he had declared, but he made the highly honorable decision to return and try and lead OU to a National Championship. That decision is going to end up impacting him financially (both in terms of his initial NFL contract and any endorsements he picks up). As a result, NFL ready Junior QBs will be more likely to avoid such a decision during the next few years.
    In case you haven't been following the media, the Jaguars are already saying they are going to take Tebow in an attempt to increase their average attendance for home games, so that puts him more likely in and around the top 10.
    McCoy is going to go very early in this draft, he is a certain first round pick and imo top 5. I agree Clausen will go early too if he declares and could shake things up but McCoy will go ahead of Locker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

*Rams will get first pick IMO.

As resident fan I kinda feel I have to barge in and claim that we don't suck as badly as the Bucs by virtue of the fact that a) we got to overtime against the (admittedly mediocre) Jags and that b) the third overall rusher is on our team.

If the Rams don't pick a quarterback it's folly though. Nobody believes in Bulger, either team or fans, and he has no trade value because of his cap hit and the fact that he hasn't actually done anything in about three seasons.

So regardless of where people on this board or in the media project quarterbacks going, if the Rams are 1, 2 or 3, they're more than likely going to take one, Clausen or Bradford or whoever. The Jags will possibly take one for financial reasons, the Browns will take one if they shift Brady Quinn, the Bucs would be stupid to waste another pick but kinda do need one, the Raiders definitely need one...

Not hard to imagine there being a run on these guys in the top half of the first round, no matter where they project.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I'm no CFB expert LL, but really, what credentials does Clausen have that McCoy doesn't possess. McCoy looks very much the real deal to me, his stats last season were enough to throw him in the hat for the Heismann, and this year his team are many people's 1st ranked team.

Clausen's had half a good season, with a few great games. I'm not being smart, but would honestly like to know what puts Clausen so far ahead of McCoy

Karlusss wrote: »
    As resident fan I kinda feel I have to barge in and claim that we don't suck as badly as the Bucs by virtue of the fact that a) we got to overtime against the (admittedly mediocre) Jags and that b) the third overall rusher is on our team.

If the Rams don't pick a quarterback it's folly though. Nobody believes in Bulger, either team or fans, and he has no trade value because of his cap hit and the fact that he hasn't actually done anything in about three seasons.

So regardless of where people on this board or in the media project quarterbacks going, if the Rams are 1, 2 or 3, they're more than likely going to take one, Clausen or Bradford or whoever. The Jags will possibly take one for financial reasons, the Browns will take one if they shift Brady Quinn, the Bucs would be stupid to waste another pick but kinda do need one, the Raiders definitely need one...

Not hard to imagine there being a run on these guys in the top half of the first round, no matter where they project.

You could be right. I forgot about the Bucs, lol. But i can even see the Rams trade up to get their man.

Will they draft a QB though? Maybe, but my original point was about Bradford sliding down the draft, which I still believe he will - the only one of the bottom 8 or 9 teams I could see take a risky/injured QB are the titans, and I doubt they'll waste a First Round pick on that when they still have Young. And I still think most of these desperately poor sides don't need a QB as bad as fixing other areas (the Rams should pick one though ;))

Someone pointed out (either on here, or in the media), that a team with an already solid QB will take him, and stick him on the bench for a few years and see how he fares. Like Rodgers at Green bay. Anyone who throws their faith in him now deserves to have 1st pick.

• Advertisement

I'm no CFB expert LL, but really, what credentials does Clausen have that McCoy doesn't possess. McCoy looks very much the real deal to me, his stats last season were enough to throw him in the hat for the Heismann, and this year his team are many people's 1st ranked team.

Clausen's had half a good season, with a few great games. I'm not being smart, but would honestly like to know what puts Clausen so far ahead of McCoy

Right now Clausen is the 'hot' player right now in college football and that's the important distinction between them at present. McCoy is also not playing as well as he did last year which will hurt his draft stock too. One thing straight off the bad that may hold McCoy back is the last two QBs from Texas to go to the NFL-Vince Young and Chris Sims.

McCoy though has been a better overall player in college then both. One thing that I like about him is that he has been a four year starter. This may not hold much sway with many NFL fans but I always feel that when QBs come out its good for them to have been a teams QB for a few years. When you look over some of the big QB busts-Leaf, Aliki Smith, JaMarcus Russell left before their senior years or else only started one year.

People tend to forget how well McCoy adapted to playing straight from a freshman with the 'Horns holding NCAA single season records for freshman TD passes as well as other records for passing efficency last season. The last thing that I like about McCoy is that he knows how to win: Fiesta Bowl last year as well as bowl wins in his first two years and perhaps of far greater importance to 'Horns fans-3 Red River wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

In case you haven't been following the media, the Jaguars are already saying they are going to take Tebow in an attempt to increase their average attendance for home games, so that puts him more likely in and around the top 10.
    McCoy is going to go very early in this draft, he is a certain first round pick and imo top 5. I agree Clausen will go early too if he declares and could shake things up but McCoy will go ahead of Locker.

Did you actually read what he said? Hardly a nailed on gurantee there are going to pick him number 1.
    Star power is incredible, and Tebow is an iconic figure, That's very compelling. He clearly is an outstanding football player and would be an asset to any football organization.The game is such an important part of this community, and Tebow is such an iconic figure that people would legitimately think, 'Wouldn't it be great if he was a Jaguar,'" Weaver said. "I'd be silly to sit here and think that's not going to be a huge thing. Clearly there's going to be a groundswell for Tebow, and we'll have to make that evaluation if we have a draft pick that's going to be anywhere near him,"

Considering teams put massive effort into not letting people know who there going to draft I'm shocked you honestly think the Jaguars would come out and announce there pick in Octover.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Right now Clausen is the 'hot' player right now in college football and that's the important distinction between them at present. McCoy is also not playing as well as he did last year which will hurt his draft stock too. One thing straight off the bad that may hold McCoy back is the last two QBs from Texas to go to the NFL-Vince Young and Chris Sims.

McCoy though has been a better overall player in college then both. One thing that I like about him is that he has been a four year starter. This may not hold much sway with many NFL fans but I always feel that when QBs come out its good for them to have been a teams QB for a few years. When you look over some of the big QB busts-Leaf, Aliki Smith, JaMarcus Russell left before their senior years or else only started one year.

People tend to forget how well McCoy adapted to playing straight from a freshman with the 'Horns holding NCAA single season records for freshman TD passes as well as other records for passing efficency last season. The last thing that I like about McCoy is that he knows how to win: Fiesta Bowl last year as well as bowl wins in his first two years and perhaps of far greater importance to 'Horns fans-3 Red River wins.

Thats a ridiculous statement to make. You can say whatever you like about how Vince Young's career turned out after his rookie season, but you can't deny how good the guy was in college. Ronnie Lott called him the greatest college player ever, ESPN voted him No.10 in the all time greatest college players list, 6th best win/loss ratio in college football history etc. I'm not taking away from how good a player Colt McCoy is, but Vince Young was phenomenal in college to be fair to the guy.

Thats a ridiculous statement to make. You can say whatever you like about how Vince Young's career turned out after his rookie season, but you can't deny how good the guy was in college. Ronnie Lott called him the greatest college player ever, ESPN voted him No.10 in the all time greatest college players list, 6th best win/loss ratio in college football history etc. I'm not taking away from how good a player Colt McCoy is, but Vince Young was phenomenal in college to be fair to the guy.

Yeah fair enough, I'll hold my hands up-that part was b*****ks on my part! I got carried away with what I was saying about McCoy. I actually rewatched the 04 and 05 Rose Bowls last night just so as to remember what VY was actually like and I admit I was way out of line with the above

McCoy won't go top 5, too many concerns about arm strength. I think he'll go about 20. In my opinion he could be like Brees though, lots of concerns about him in terms of height and arm strength but born winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPkDsOlGzU

I just watched this on Youtube there now, he has an excellent quick release and seems to be great at reading coverage but damn those receivers are pretty nimble too....

Would like to see a few more deep balls from him if Al Davis is gonna draft him ;)

Wow, that pass at 1.11's sweet as they come, and 4.00 as well.

All timing routes and touch passes, or wide open receivers though. Can he bomb it?

Yeah, he's got a good deep ball. at 1:11 , the DB doesn't make it because he gets frozen and stops moving his feet. a lot of the highlights are taken from games against bad teams though. The screen at 2:30 shows massive naivety by the entire defensive line.

I'm watching highlight reels of loads of guys on YouTube now. College football: like NFL, but every play is a bootleg. If scouting can be done from watching five 3 minute highlight videos, I want the Rams to take Colt McCoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

jdivision wrote: »
    McCoy won't go top 5, too many concerns about arm strength. I think he'll go about 20. In my opinion he could be like Brees though, lots of concerns about him in terms of height and arm strength but born winner.

I like this comparison. And I think your right about his draft position aswell. Im a Texas fan and im a big fan of McCoy. The problem i have with him is that he has been a little up and down year to year so far.

Freshman season - 217/318 for 2570 yards with 29 tds and 7 ints for a 161.82 rating.

Sophomore season - 276/424 for 3303 yards with 22 tds and 18 ints for a 139.16 rating.

Junior season - 332/433 for 3859 yards with 34 tds and 8 ints for a 173.75 rating.

Senior Season - 182/254 for 1806 with 14 tds and 8 ints for a 143.27 rating.

Obviously hes not done with his senior season yet but hes on mark for a bit of an underwhelming season after his breakout year as a junior. That said he had his best game of the year against Missouri at the weekend so hopefully he rounding into form.

As for Bradford he still goes high in the first round imo as long as the surgery goes well. I know hes a Sooner but ive always admired his a QB!:D Hes got a great release and is super accurate. He might not have the worlds greatest deep arm but its good enough. Jamarcus Russell can throw a ball through a brick wall but hes inaccurate and doesn't seem to get it. Id rather have someone who is cerebral and can get the ball where it needs to go.

Advertisement