Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top end wetsuits

Options
  • 26-10-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Looking for advice on wetsuits.

In the absence of £800 for the Ripcurl H-Bomb, I wanted to compare what seem to be the best top end suits.

AFAIK the new Cskins 5/4 Wired Airloc, O Neill Physcofreak 4.5/3.5, and the Xcel INfiniti drydock 5/4/3 seem to be the top contenders.

I'm not too stressed about price as they are all in the same ball park.

I do want to know, which is the warmest, stretchiest, and most durable.

Does any one shop in Ireland/UK stock all 3 brands? (Only way to get semi-honest advice).

Cheers..............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Check longboardireland forum.
    It would be wrong of me to knock anyones products as i would be biased but lots of disscusion there about suits.
    One suit in particular in your list was mentioned there alot for bad returns, falling apart, over priced etc. Another suit you mentioned one user claimed it wasnt warm enough best to look at the model up from it.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Seems you have your short list drawn up but in my opinion & experience the latest Gul products at least match if not exceed the brands mentioned.
    Beats them all on durability as well as performance and are way cheaper to boot.

Got mine from John in Sunset sail in Sligo for a song, much much less then the other main brands mentioned although he seems to stock those as well so may be worth calling into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Seems you have your short list drawn up but in my opinion & experience the latest Gul products at least match if not exceed the brands mentioned.
    Beats them all on durability as well as performance and are way cheaper to boot.

Got mine from John in Sunset sail in Sligo for a song, much much less then the other main brands mentioned although he seems to stock those as well so may be worth calling into.

Hey Cecil Mor. Did the suit you bought have a hood? It sounds all right, was looking for something a bit cheaper than the above mentioned suits. I have researched them alright, and they look the best, but I would need to get surfing alot more to justify that price.

How much is a song, were you allowed try it on? are the prices similar to this
    http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=wetsuit&x=18&y=14&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=12&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=&gclid=CM2ko6uX3Z0CFYIA4wod83MbLw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

The suit I got was similar to this model - Gul 2008/9 Winter Mens Vortex 5/3 (VX1208).

http://www.beachshack.co.uk/product.php?xProd=607&xSec=30&jssCart=343b5ed358e54e755c45ad537a584313

The only real difference that I can see is that mine does not have the liquid seams externally, mine are internal only. Otherwise it seems to have a very similar spec.
    Can't find any model details as the suit is inside out drying in the rain and I'm damned if I'm heading out again.
    Pretty sure its an older Vortex model, regardless like I said, liquid seams aside, the spec is exactly the same.

I tend to give 'em a good test ride in the shop, plenty of jumping 'round, pop ups, squatting, running about, stretching and yoga in each suit, John has no problem with this although there were some funny looks from other punters.

I got it off John for €160 just over two years ago, tried on more expensive (€240 - €350ish) higher end suits and settled on this based on fit, stretchability and my restrictive budget at the time.
    Delighted I did as its still like new despite going into its third winter. Fit still perfect, in fact its better but thats due to me loosing weight but it has not stretched, relaxed or worn in anyway. Knees are still perfect!!!

I am not a weekend only surfer but am lucky enough to live yards from the sea and try take advantage of it whenever conditions allow.

Nor is it restrictive, this weekend was my reluctant change over to the winter suit managing 3hrs on Friday and over 4hrs yesterday.
    No integral hood in it but I generally use one of my balaclavas for diving. Entry is via a standard vertical zip and neck fastening but I've never been really flushed out despite taking more then a few on the head on the heavier days.

Can honestly say that unless the Gul winter suits become more expensive then the more recognized and fashion lead brands I wouldn't begin to consider anything else.

John seems to be a sound enough fella to deal with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

I used to work in surf shop and sell suits,Xcel are the best on the market in my opinion,4 years ago nobody was wearing them,have a look around now in march in a lineup you will see plenty of lads with xcel suits with hoods down becuase they are nice and toasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Anyone have experience of the O Neills Epic wetsuits? 2010 in particular. They seem to be the cheapest, winter, bigname brand out there. Les than €200

http://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/products.asp?pid=677

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

oxygen wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of the O Neills Epic wetsuits? 2010 in particular. They seem to be the cheapest, winter, bigname brand out there. Les than €200

http://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/products.asp?pid=677

I used the 2009 model and I was really surprised at it. I swear by o'neill. I usually use a mutant or a P2 but the epic was really warm and flexible. The only problem with the 2009 was the neck seal was sh*t. I think they have changed the neck seal to one similar to that of the P2.

If thats the case, I'd say they'd be worth the money. I think it was 140 euro... crazy price for an O'neill winter suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Cprh wrote: »
    Looking for advice on wetsuits.

In the absence of £800 for the Ripcurl H-Bomb, I wanted to compare what seem to be the best top end suits.

AFAIK the new Cskins 5/4 Wired Airloc, O Neill Physcofreak 4.5/3.5, and the Xcel INfiniti drydock 5/4/3 seem to be the top contenders.

I'm not too stressed about price as they are all in the same ball park.

I do want to know, which is the warmest, stretchiest, and most durable.

Does any one shop in Ireland/UK stock all 3 brands? (Only way to get semi-honest advice).

Cheers..............

800 pounds:eek:... that is nuts. Electrics and water... Mmmmm. I have my doubts. There is also the poormans H-Bomb. The Tiki Heat?!? Don't really know much about the C-skins or Xcel but i've heard both +ve and -ve about the psychofreak. I've heard of ripping, but that was 3rd hand info. Friend has one and he says he can't fault it.

Advertisement