Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what side of the brain do you use?

• 26-10-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Right brainers are random, scattered ,creative, good with accents,poor memory etc.
    left brainers are logical, sequential, rational,make lists ,

im right brain im a bit all over the place, im known as the random one.
    also when you cross your arms or your legs, the one thats on top corresponds to what brain side you use.
    so i cross with left leg/arm on top which means im right brained.
    just thought it was interestin:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

mrets wrote: »
    Right brainers are random, scattered ,creative, good
    with accents,poor memory etc.

left brainers are logical, sequential, rational,make lists ,

im right brain im a bit all over the place, im known as the random one.
    also when you cross your arms or your legs, the one thats on top corresponds to what brain side you use.
    so i cross with left leg/arm on top which means im right brained.
    just thought it was interestin:)

The left brain/ right brain dichotomy is a definite myth that crops up every now and then in some "newspapers" and goodness knows where else.

OP the truth of the matter is that some functions are localised (to an extent) in either the left or right hemisphere (e.g. language) but for the most part, any complex behaviour or thought requires input from many different brain regions and information is communicated between the hemispheres through the corpus callosum.

Here's a wikipedia* article about the subject that might interest you.

*The references are from reliable sources.

PS: I had a chuckle at this comment someone left on the Herald Sun article-

"This would be an interesting test to give kids beore they enter school. It would be great if there were right brained schools and left brained schools. Education has unfortunately been designed for left brain thinkers and has ignored the importance of right brained thinking."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Sorry to be critical, but there is very little evidence to support the view of brain lateralisation you're describing; even the research on handedness is somewhat equivocal about such differences.

It's also quite unlikely that your behaviour is in any way random, but I'll leave that chestnut for someone else to pick up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

The only interesting aspect of it is the left brain interpretor that Michael Gazzaniga talks about. I watched a talk of his last week from Princeton in 2005, it's not very good, but for those who don't know about the left brain interpretor he talks about it here:
    http://www.princeton.edu/WebMedia/lectures/20050414gazzanigaVN350K.asx

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mrets

well i wouldnt dismiss this left right hemisphere thing totally. i mean a lot of what is categorized as right brained suits me a lot.. i mean i have friends too who just completely fit the left brain category..and i mean our personalities just totally clash... shes so reserved, wouldnt put a toe out of line kindof person. so i know all the scientists dismiss thiss and you are too.. but in everyday life it makes sense!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

mrets wrote: »
    i mean a lot of what is categorized as right brained suits me a lot.i mean i have friends too who just completely fit the left brain category..and i mean our personalities just totally clash... shes so reserved, wouldnt put a toe out of line kindof person. so i know all the scientists dismiss thiss and you are too.. but in everyday life it makes sense!!!

Did you actually read any of the replies that were posted? Sometimes I don't know why I even bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement