Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers Anon

Options
  • 26-10-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Firstly can I say Best of Luck to everyone here who's trying to "quit"!!!

I've never smoked but have tried to be supportive to my Big Sis who's tried on several occasions to stop smoking.

On this attempt, during one of her withdrawl periods she came up with a good point, why is there no support group for Smokers??? You get help if your a drinker (AA), on drugs, even if you're addicted to sex, but for smoking nada!

So I just wanted to know who here would find it useful if:

(a) There was a group meeting that you could attend weekly
    and
    (b) If you had a sponsor (someone who successfuly quit) that you could call when you're just about to reach for "one more"!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Frowzy wrote: »
    (a) There was a group meeting that you could attend weekly

No Way, If I want to quit I will go cold turkey - It would just annoy me to meet up with a group weekly so that we could all talk about how much we miss fags.

Frowzy wrote: »
    (b) If you had a sponsor (someone who successfuly quit) that you could call when you're just about to reach for "one more"!

Once again I am not in agreement, I would probably end up with a sponsor who smoked a fag once when they were fifteen and then they would waffle on about the battle they fought to give em up.

Fair play to ya for supporting your sister, but your suggestions would probably drive me to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Big Lar wrote: »
    No Way, If I want to quit I will go cold turkey - It would just annoy me to meet up with a group weekly so that we could all talk about how much we miss fags.

Once again I am not in agreement, I would probably end up with a sponsor who smoked a fag once when they were fifteen and then they would waffle on about the battle they fought to give em up.

Fair play to ya for supporting your sister, but your suggestions would probably drive me to drink.

lol. I see your point! Sure if you took to the drink you could always join AA and tell 'em you turned to the drink to give up fags. Then you could take drugs to get off the drink and so on and so on.......

I hope you manage to "kick the habit". Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

There is a nicotine anonymous.

http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Cliona99 wrote: »
    There is a nicotine anonymous.

http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/

:)

Wow! Thanks so much! we're having a look at it now. I never knew such a thing existed!

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

Advertisement