Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building up courage to go to my first AA meeting

• 26-10-2009 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Ok I have to admit I have a problem with the drink and it is time to try and sort it out before I hit rock bottom, can someone tell me what happens at ones first meeting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

The main reason I want to quit is not health related, well it is in a way. Basically my life is **** at the moment, I have no social life spend most weekends indoors by myself drinking. I am overweight and in a job I do not really care for. I dont go out to pubs or nightclubs at the weekends because of my poor self image and lack of confidence. I have never had a girlfriend actually and ive been in this self induced rut for too long. I need to get in control of my life, be able to talk to girls all people etc in a social scene, lose the weight, wear nice clothes, start I career I would enjoy,basically get in control of myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Skittlers

Ok I have to admit I have a problem with the drink and it is time to try and sort it out before I hit rock bottom, can someone tell me what happens at ones first meeting?

You will be welcomed by everyone..As you are a newcomer they will make it a 1st step meeting..1st step reads as follows.........
    We admitted we were powerless over Alcohol-That our live had become
    unmanageable..
    Thats the stage you are at now, at least its a start..It will be one of
    the biggest steps you will ever make, your 1st meeting is that big step..
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 donieD

Hi
    All I would say is go along with an open mind,you will be welcomed and not judged in any way.You wont have to speak or anything like that,and hopefully you will find help and support there if you want it.
    I honestly feel that the best decision ive ever made was to go along to my first meeting.
    Best of Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Wishing you the very best for your first meeting. Giving up drink is a great first step towards a happier life if its a problem for you. Try to tackle one thing at a time instead of everything all at once. Easy does it. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 donalkk

another way would be to call the help line you could then meet two members who will chat with you and bring you to your first meeting might suit you better or you could go to whats called an open meeting these are open to anyone whos curious eg. medical profesionals ect.

• Advertisement

There is a meeting on tomorrow at 8pm thats very close to me and I am going to go,I am still not sure what to do or what happens when I go in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 donieD

just go along a few minutes early and let someone know its your first meeting and they will hold an open meeting.Usually in this meeting AA is explained,how it works etc and a couple of people who have been in AA awhile speak of their experiences.
    Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Best of luck with it
    You don't have to speak up but you can introduce yourself if you wish

I had a quick look at the website
    Lots of information and it shows locations and times of meetings for all counties in Ireland.
    You have nothing to lose by attending your first meeting

http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/opencontent/default.asp

As for your other issues, you can start a fitness log on boards or ask for information in that forum

Ok, I went to the meeting but only stayed 45 minutes. I am not sure if its for me. I found it very depressing actually, some people had some deeply depressing stories to tell.Im not sure if I am a candidate for AA because I havent hurt or been hurt emotionally in my life. My drinking habbits are as follows binge on beer friday night and saturdays but I can usually stay off it the other days of the week, I still want to stop though. Do I look like im making excuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

dont worry. just go and remember everyone there has a problem just like you. the same problem and thats why it works good luck kevin.....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Ok, I went to the meeting but only stayed 45 minutes. I am not sure if its for me. I found it very depressing actually, some people had some deeply depressing stories to tell.Im not sure if I am a candidate for AA because I havent hurt or been hurt emotionally in my life. My drinking habbits are as follows binge on beer friday night and saturdays but I can usually stay off it the other days of the week, I still want to stop though. Do I look like im making excuses?

No you don't at all. You might not be alcoholic and if you aren't then you can give it up no bother.

Go to a couple of meetings I suppose and then decide OR just leave AA for the moment. I went five years ago and hated it and I left. I went back three years after that and I feel differently about it but I really didn't think it was for me the first time. Things may change for you and then again they may not.

Its just that one guy told everyone he was abused sexually when he was a child and another women broke down because of a situation with her son, these were people in their late 40's to late 60's.They were full blown alcoholics, I just felt out of place.I havent hurt people because of my drinking and I have not missed work. What I dont like about my drinking is that I do it on my own. This weekend for example I had 2 bottles of wine and 3 pints of guinness yesterday and on friday night I had 4 beers and another bottle of wine. Now I wont touch it again till next friday. Its still alot of alcohol but I feel I am more in a rut than an alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 martin0519

You may find this group more to your liking. It is a very positive recovery setting. It is not based on the 12 step beliefs. You are given positive peer support for your recovery.

There is now a face to face meeting in Dublin of a group called LifeRing. It is Tuesday at 6:30 pm in the Dublin Central Mission on Lower Abbey Street.

Online location is Unhooked.com

The philosophy differs from the AA program in that the belief or non-belief in a HP is a private matter not brought up at meetings. There are no steps to follow, no sponsors to listen to and no prayers (that some find offensive) at the end.

LifeRing is about Empowering Your Sober Self and creating your OWN recovery plan.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Its just that one guy told everyone he was abused sexually when he was a child and another women broke down because of a situation with her son, these were people in their late 40's to late 60's.They were full blown alcoholics, I just felt out of place.I havent hurt people because of my drinking and I have not missed work. What I dont like about my drinking is that I do it on my own. This weekend for example I had 2 bottles of wine and 3 pints of guinness yesterday and on friday night I had 4 beers and another bottle of wine. Now I wont touch it again till next friday. Its still alot of alcohol but I feel I am more in a rut than an alcoholic.
    Everyone has their own stories and consequences relating to drink. The fact that one person's story is particularly bad does not negate others' experiences, including your own. Stick with it if you feel you need it.

Advertisement