Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Licensing Questions

Options
  • 26-10-2009 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Is anything been done to try and save the pistols for the people that were expecting to keep them under the Grandfathering system, how can some be licensed and others not, where is the equality in this. The right to Firearms ownership may not be in our constitution but equality is.

One of our members has a classic .22 Olympic pistol and has been refused and another has .22A SW and has been granted a license. What are people supposed to do to be treated fairly and with equality.

Sikamick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

What was the reason given for the refusal?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Super does not want any pistols/handguns in his district.

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »

Sikamick

Well that's just plain ole discrimination, and It would be laughed out of court if a case were to be taken.

The Persona designata status given to super's has to be questioned, is it constitutional, how can anyone be allowed to act outside the law.

It's like in the States having a local county sheriff making his own rules as he goes, crazy.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i haven't heard of any of the shooting organisations doing anything or making any statements about this , i have been told that instead of the superintendent making the decision about granting a restricted licence, its the chief super who now makes that decision , i don't see the difference personally , the decision has simply been moved up the line of command .

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    i haven't heard of any of the shooting organisations doing anything or making any statements about this , i have been told that instead of the superintendent making the decision about granting a restricted licence, its the chief super who now makes that decision , i don't see the difference personally , the decision has simply been moved up the line of command .

Well in fairness to NASRPC they have an e-mail function for refusals Link so perhaps they are doing something about it...

Meyer wrote: »
    Well in fairness to NASRPC they have an e-mail function for refusals Link so perhaps they are doing something about it...

i stand corrected and fair play to them for doing something .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is that on paper? If not, step two will be to get a reason for refusal on paper. (Step one being to contact your FCP body so they can talk to the FPU and try to sort it out that way first). Refusing an olympic pistol is something the Super would have to have a pretty good reason for, I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The Persona designata status given to super's has to be questioned, is it constitutional, how can anyone be allowed to act outside the law.

It's like in the States having a local county sheriff making his own rules as he goes, crazy.

Sikamick
    Persona designata just means 'designated person' which is the person who is designated under the act and by the Oireachtas to make decisions on firearms applications.

It certainly does not mean 'outside the law'. Why else have we had courts telling Superintendents to revisit their decisions?

And with the new legislation, the status is diluted with district courts having the power to effectively grant licences.

As for your member, +1 to what Sparks and others have said. Get his details to his governing body and have them deal with it.

boards is not the place tgo sort these out as invariably there is some vital piece of information left out that make any pronouncements here null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Has he been using it - range attendance, competition attendance, etc. He can't have it just because he wnats to have it - he has to use it for purpose.

Just because a pistol is the same as one someone once used in the Olympics is just making the decision between whether a super or chief super will deal with the application. The 22a is on the same list as all other non-restricted short firearms therefore it goes to the super aswell.

At that point you still only have a right of application - you have no inherent right to a license.

After that it comes down to
    a) Who are you
    b) Why do you want it (if a re-up show that is what you have been using it for)
    c) Where will you keep it

I'd make sure those questions have been answered properly first as those are the reasons it can be refused - the make, model, colour etc has very little to do with it.

B'Man

• Advertisement

Bananaman wrote: »
    Has he been using it - range attendance, competition attendance, etc. He can't have it just because he wnats to have it - he has to use it for purpose.

Just because a pistol is the same as one someone once used in the Olympics is just making the decision between whether a super or chief super will deal with the application. The 22a is on the same list as all other non-restricted short firearms therefore it goes to the super aswell.
    +1 to what B'man has said and I'll add that if he put in his application based on the fact that his pistol was 'Olympic Class' and hadn't been taking part in any competitions of that sort, well then I wouldn't be surprised if his Super had problems with that.

It's been said here often enough before: 'use it or lose it'

There's nothing wrong btw with using it for club competitions, but people saying that they're doing things that they are patently not is just going to get up a Super's nose.

Please note that I am not making any accusations here, just pointing out some of the pitfalls and errors people make.

I wonder though if the Super can really refuse a licence on the basis of a lack of range attendance records when those range attendance records weren't legally mandatory until the most recent legislation change. I mean, you could have been plinking away down the club once a week for the last few years without as single paper record of it as a result; only to run into problems now? Ignorance of the law is no defence, but ignorance of laws yet unwritten is!

Sparks wrote: »
    I wonder though if the Super can really refuse a licence on the basis of a lack of range attendance records when those range attendance records weren't legally mandatory until the most recent legislation change. I mean, you could have been plinking away down the club once a week for the last few years without as single paper record of it as a result; only to run into problems now? Ignorance of the law is no defence, but ignorance of laws yet unwritten is!
    It's nothing to do with range atendance records Sparks, and really those are an adjunct to already well established legislation.

It's about 'good reason' and if someone specifies participating in competition as their good reason and they haven't, then they're taking the p*ss and should be called on it.

Which is why I said shooting in the club is fine providing that's what you've been doing. Too many people have been citing club membership as their 'good reason' when they haven't been seen in the club since the day they joined.

rrpc wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with range atendance records Sparks, and really those are an adjunct to already well established legislation.
    Well, it is and it isn't. If you specify "entering competitions" and you're not entering competitions, then yes, you've no good reason.

The hassle is when you say you're shooting in the club, like the majority of target shooters, and not competing, but just shooting recreationally. If someone's called on that by the Super, proving it comes down to a they-said-vs-they-said situation in a hurry. I mean, if you're only shooting once a fortnight, and the club grants access to its facilities to its members without supervision (as a lot of clubs do), it's completely possible for someone to genuinely shoot for a long while with the club rarely, if ever, seeing them actually shooting.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with you - the eejits who chanced their arm and got a year's club membership to get the licence then vanished into the aether, they have no claim on holding their licence and shouldn't be allowed to do so. I'm just a bit worried about the edge cases.

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, it is and it isn't. If you specify "entering competitions" and you're not entering competitions, then yes, you've no good reason.

The hassle is when you say you're shooting in the club, like the majority of target shooters, and not competing, but just shooting recreationally. If someone's called on that by the Super, proving it comes down to a they-said-vs-they-said situation in a hurry. I mean, if you're only shooting once a fortnight, and the club grants access to its facilities to its members without supervision (as a lot of clubs do), it's completely possible for someone to genuinely shoot for a long while with the club rarely, if ever, seeing them actually shooting.
    Although you're right, I suspect that there are very few cases like that. Many clubs (not all, I know) have sign in books for members so that's evidence of attendance. Unless you're particularly shy, most members will have bumped into you at some time or another.
    That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with you - the eejits who chanced their arm and got a year's club membership to get the licence then vanished into the aether, they have no claim on holding their licence and shouldn't be allowed to do so. I'm just a bit worried about the edge cases.
    And it could be that Mick's fellow member is one of those edge cases and needs some follow up to determine their record.

I honestly don't think there is a club member anywhere who's been attending relatively regularly and nobody knows about them. It's too small a community for that.

does the law state anything on regular attendance being a condition of the licence being granted or renewed ? what is, or would be considered reasonable usage ?
    i know people who have pistols but only shoot a few times a year despite being club members .

rrpc re the Olympic standard pistol (Benelli), the owner is a very credible person, with full attendance and has competed. I cant say much more than that without given his identity away.

re the 22A SW we now have two passed for licensing, both owners would have reasonable attendance records but would not be competitive. All three are from different districts.

Sikamick

rrpc re the Olympic standard pistol (Benelli), the owner is a very credible person, with full attendance and has competed. I cant say much more than that without given his identity away.
    There's no need, I was speaking generally. Has he actually been refused or was he aked for further information like some of the guys with centre fire pistols? If the latter, then it's a case of getting a letter from the NGB or some other record of competition, but either way it's NGB => FPU first I'd suggest.
    re the 22A SW we now have two passed for licensing, both owners would have reasonable attendance records but would not be competitive. All three are from different districts.

Sikamick
    Being competitive is not the issue. We've often stated here that the guys who are competitive are the point of the pyramid and they wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the club shooter who turns up and does his bit to keep the club going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

I know the member in question and from a conversation I had with him he was basically told the officer in charge was not inclined to license small arms.
    The member did point out that the pistol was of Olympic standard and on the commissioners guidelines, he also pointed out all his "good reasons" and attendance to the officer but did not receive a favorable response. He is now left in limbo awaiting the letter.

Maybe the outcome will be positive but from the conversation I don't think so.

rowa wrote: »
    does the law state anything on regular attendance being a condition of the licence being granted or renewed ? what is, or would be considered reasonable usage ?
    i know people who have pistols but only shoot a few times a year despite being club members .
    There's nothing stated in particular, but the clubs SI specifies that the club record those members who haven't attended in the previous six months.

That's not to say there would be any action taken, but you've got to assume that it would go against your 'good reason' for having a firearm if you aren't using it.

• Advertisement

TMC121 wrote: »
    I know the member in question and from a conversation I had with him he was basically told the officer in charge was not inclined to license small arms.
    The member did point out that the pistol was of Olympic standard and on the commissioners guidelines, he also pointed out all his "good reasons" and attendance to the officer but did not receive a favorable response. He is now left in limbo awaiting the letter.

Maybe the outcome will be positive but from the conversation I don't think so.
    It's not a refusal either. There may be an element of 'testing' people to see if they're serious or not, or if they have evidence of their participation in a sport or not.

Wait and see. There's nothing else to do in the absence of an outright refusal in any case.

rrpc it's alright to say wait and see, but we have only five days to go until the expiry of people licenses.

The Minister stated he wanted to get illegal firearms of the streets, he and his new system will be the cause of the biggest number of unlicensed firearms the country has ever seen.

Sikamick

rrpc it's alright to say wait and see, but we have only five days to go until the expiry of people licenses.

The Minister stated he wanted to get illegal firearms of the streets, he and his new system will be that cause of the biggest number of unlicensed firearms the country has ever seen.

Sikamick
    What's your alternative Mick?

And wait and see is the right course of action if you've nothing concrete. If the chap has further evidence of his participation in a sport involving the Benelli, then now would be a good time to present it, otherwise without a refusal he's got nothing to act on. Yet.

And he can leave it with a firearms dealer if he's worried about not having a licence for it, or ask for it to be put on the club's authorisation.

Quote [rrpc] What's your alternative Mick?

I was hoping you would have the answer.

I see on another thread re a .308 super states its restricted also a .270 ????.

Sikamick

A round of extensions to the extensions would be nice, given the hassle there's been so far...

I was hoping you would have the answer.
    I gave you two :)
    I see on another thread re a .308 super states its restricted also a .270 ????.

Sikamick
    You see, that's not what I read on that thread. I read that a FO in both cases said that the firearms were restricted and referred to the Super. No direct qoutes from a Super though.

rrpc wrote: »
    I gave you two :)

You see, that's not what I read on that thread. I read that a FO in both cases said that the firearms were restricted and referred to the Super. No direct qoutes from a Super though.

Not to nit pick rrpc I may have misquoted (Super) but in rereading the post the FO is not mentioned either.

None of this solves the problem for people that are been given the wrong information from their stations. We are at the eleventh hour and firearms holders, their clubs or NGB'S have to keep going back to the FPU to clarify things.

I will ask you this question rrpc, have the Inspectors/Superintendents not been fully informed by their superiors as to what can be licensed and what cannot. Restricted does not mean Banned (banned = limited or controlled) not banned.

This wait and see / softly softly approach is what has us where we are, NGB'S, and Governing bodies can have all the meetings they want but if they don't keep their membership informed it becomes a complete waist of time.

I don't have all the answers, but we have enough people involved at higher levels that should have a least some of them.

I state once again, we are aware that our constitution does not give us the right to bear arms but it does give us the right to claim equality and there can be no equality when some are given licenses and others aren't for no just reason.

As a point of interest the two 22A pistols that have been licensed have no restriction on there magazine capacity.

Sikamick

Not to nit pick rrpc I may have misquoted (Super) but in rereading the post the FO is not mentioned either.
    He is in one of 4gun's subsequent posts. But yes it's nit-picking. The important thing to note is that a lot of these mistakes are being made at station level which isn't really surprising. There are over 100 districts, so rolling out training to all stations in the time span is going to be tough. That's what the FPU is for and the message seems to have got out to the stations that these are the guys to call.
    None of this solves the problem for people that are been given the wrong information from their stations. We are at the eleventh hour and firearms holders, their clubs or NGB'S have to keep going back to the FPU to clarify things.

I will ask you this question rrpc, have the Inspectors/Superintendents not been fully informed by their superiors as to what can be licensed and what cannot. Restricted does not mean Banned (banned = limited or controlled) not banned.
    Of course they have. The FPU has been aound the country to all divisions and districts explaining the new system. My local has their phone number on the wall in big writing and they've been doing trojan work answering phone calls from stations and the public alike.

But I'll reverse the question Mick. How much of this stuff do you actually know? Or the rest of the posters here? Why do I and others find ourselves time after time explaining the same stuff on this forum if it's so easy?

It's not, and a huge amount of it is new. If we're not expected to know it all, how are the Gardai to whom firearms licensing represents less than one twentieth of their job expected to know it all immediately?
    This wait and see / softly softly approach is what has us where we are, NGB'S, and Governing bodies can have all the meetings they want but if they don't keep their membership informed it becomes a complete waist of time.
    Mick, would you like to let me know which NGB you're a member of that isn't keeping you informed? I know we keep our members informed, have a full guide to filling out the form and are available at any time to take calls on problems that arise. We've been in touch with the FPU on the few occasions that we've had to and any problems encountered have been solved quickly.
    I state once again, we are aware that our constitution does not give us the right to bear arms but it does give us the right to claim equality and there can be no equality when some are given licenses and others aren't for no just reason.
    I'm afraid I can't comment on those cases. Third hand information usually means that salient points have beeen omitted. I refer you to my original advice which was to take it to the NGB who will progress it through the FPU.
    As a point of interest the two 22A pistols that have been licensed have no restriction on there magazine capacity.

Sikamick
    If they were licensed as non-restricted pistols, they do. It's written into the SI. The same as the wildlife act prohibits having more than three rounds in a shotgun, but doesn't actually stop you doing it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Ok, so apart from the Steyr in Clare, has any full bore target pistol cert/letter looking for €80 been issued. This one is the only one I've heard confirmed, i.e. the letter has been actually seen by someone who contacted me. I've heard several, "he's been approved", or "the <insert officer rank> has given me the nod". PMs welcome.

• Advertisement

G17 wrote: »
    Ok, so apart from the Steyr in Clare, has any full bore target pistol cert/letter looking for €80 been issued. This one is the only one I've heard confirmed, i.e. the letter has been actually seen by someone who contacted me. I've heard several, "he's been approved", or "the <insert officer rank> has given me the nod". PMs welcome.
    Yes I've heard of a couple at this stage. Directly from the licensees. Different areas of the country.

Advertisement