Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Licensing Questions

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

what competitions did they compete in????
    i ask because i know of two benelli owners that shoot in the odd competition and its neither of those guys that you are talking about???
    :confused:
    TMC121 wrote: »
    Up date to the Olympic Target Pistol saga.
    I learned today that another club member who owns a Benelli MP95E has received his license from the same superintendent who has now sent a letter to the original person mentioned in this thread stating "a Superintendent must be satisfied that a person has good reason etc, Section 4 as amended".

Here's the thing, when these applications where being filled in the club held a meeting where every member printed out an additional information sheet and I know for a fact that the 2 applications review by the Superintendent had the same additional information attached, giving the same reasons for the .22lr target pistols.

One was granted with absolutely no issue, the other one now requires the super to be satisfied.
    The only difference between these two men is one of them has 3 firearms (a rifle, shotgun & 22 Benelli pistol) all granted and the second has 4 firearms (a rifle, 2 shotguns, licenses granted and a Benelli pistol not granted).

They travel to the range together, practice for and compete in competitions. Attendance records would be nearly identical.

For an organisation with such a uniform approach to policing, there doesn't seam to be any uniformity to firearms licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Lads,

Lets not give any credence to any order of merit where it makes you more deserving because you take part in national or international competition.

That is discrimination.

Two lads trybg to beat each others scores on a tuesday afternoon at the range is a competition.

Someone on their own at the rnage trying to better their last score is a competition.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

I agree in full b'man
    This whole situation has come about not because of who shoots in what competitions but because of the total inconsistencies in licensing firearms which where last year legally licensed and this year without any change in circumstances people are receiving letters stating "No good reason for" even though they submitted their applications with the same reasons as when the items where first licensed.

It's not that these people are looking for the items as ornaments. They've spent serious money purchasing these firearms and are avid shooters.
    No consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bananaman wrote: »
    Lads,

Lets not give any credence to any order of merit where it makes you more deserving because you take part in national or international competition.

That is discrimination.

Two lads trybg to beat each others scores on a tuesday afternoon at the range is a competition.

Someone on their own at the rnage trying to better their last score is a competition.

B'Man
    There are two aspects to this, and to be fair I think you're misunderstanding xesse's point.

The first is the fact (and we are all aware of it) that many people got licences on the basis of club membership that they either didn't maintain or didn't pursue. Absentee members as it were.

The second is the low attendance at many competitions which in view of the numbers of those in the foregoing group was frustrating to those like xesse who found it disappointing that it was the same people he was competing with all the time.

Perhaps if more had competed (and we're not talking about the club shooter here, just the total) it may have changed some attitudes. It's hard to know, but it's a possible factor which I think was xesse's point.

And the club 'plinker' is just as important (if not more so) than the guys at the top, because as we all know the wider the base, the higher the peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

I was just informed by a call from the member with the .22lr Benelli that the additional information provided to the Superintendent has persuaded him to grant the certificate. So he was told.

1x Benelli .22lr Licensed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

TMC121 wrote: »
    I was just informed by a call from the member with the .22lr Benelli that the additional information provided to the Superintendent has persuaded him to grant the certificate. So he was told.

1x Benelli .22lr Licensed

That's good news TMC121, glad to hear it.

Advertisement