Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handy piece of software for people who format computers regularly.

• 26-10-2009 3:23am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://ninite.com/

Basically you choose all the software you install on a computer, it creates it's own installer and does all the work for you. I haven't used it yet but it looks good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Wow, that looks ridiculously handy! :eek:

Merci beaucoup! :)

*bookmarks*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can also suggest ones to them if they aren't on the list. It's always the simple ideas like this that are the most brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im aroused.

but it would be nice if they included payware installers, like Norton and Photoshop and such. Some people actually pay for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Brilliant!

I just reformatted 2 laptops in the past 2 days and was wondering if such a product existed.

One thing I would add to it would be automatic codec installers, (DivX, ffdshow etc)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

conti wrote: »
    Brilliant!

I just reformatted 2 laptops in the past 2 days and was wondering if such a product existed.

One thing I would add to it would be automatic codec installers, (DivX, ffdshow etc)
    I suggested the klite codec pack earlier so hopefully that gets added.

• Advertisement

I almost did the same thing!

Overheal wrote: »
    I almost did the same thing!
    Suggest it anyways. They probably have some popularity thing to determine what gets added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

http://ninite.com/

Basically you choose all the software you install on a computer, it creates it's own installer and does all the work for you. I haven't used it yet but it looks good.

Cheers just installed the installer and then 7-zip.
    Don't have to be in the buisness of daily reformats to appreciate the programme,its great to be have a downloader that says NO to all the bloatware instead of watching a download like a hawk for the inevitable toolbars etc.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Nice, Similar to Installpad but this one seems to be actively supported!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Unless you format and re-install windows every month then what's the point?
    Your just going to end up installing, in most cases, out of data software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

This app looks really useful, cheers, good find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Handy - I have to do a fresh install on my Studio 15 tonight :D

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Unless you format and re-install windows every month then what's the point?
    Your just going to end up installing, in most cases, out of data software.
    The idea is that this thing does all the installing for you. So you don't have to select the individual options. You just execute it and leave it running until it has installed all your software for you.

sticky or something dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭merlin39

Thanks for posting the link. sounds good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Nice idea and will definitely be used in future. I normally use nlite or vlite to slipstream in all the updates on an unattended installation. Without it, it takes hours to run all the updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just noticed this website recently..

.. what a superb idea! *

* wishes I thought of it first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

That's really cool. Cheers for the link AC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Used recently when I installed a windows 7 partition. Fantastic site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Fantastic little tool.
    Cheers for the link AlmightyCushion! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I used this the other day. It works great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Really handy.

They don't seem to be adding much to it over the last few weeks. Probably a few licensing issues to get around and that.

I've used it twice now, and both times for whatever reason it doesn't work first try. But then works fine the second try. Which i thought was a bit odd.

el dude wrote: »
    They don't seem to be adding much to it over the last few weeks. Probably a few licensing issues to get around and that.

I know it's kind of annoying. Funnily enough being the person who posted this thread, I had an oppertunity where this would come in useful and completely forgot about it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Looks useful. Must have a peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

very useful...have used it 6 times last week already on a number of machines! thanks AC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

el dude wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a lot of configuration work to be done before they can release anything. Also, Microsoft may not like this. They said that would provide a similar program years ago and don't seem to have gotten round to it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

fantastic, thanks op

now if i can;t fix a customers pc , i can backup, re-install xp, restore backup, start that app and walk out the door, it saves my time and my customers money

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Nice. Just finished updating 7 computers for a local national school and this software would have made my life a hell of a lot easier if I had known about it 3 weeks ago!

Good app for the future though - cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

This is awesome! Why is it not at the top of the Essential Free Software thread?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cool, finally something to emulate the text file I've been using for 5 years for the same purpose :D

On Linux, obviously.

Advertisement