Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OEM windows 7

• 26-10-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Whats the deal with OEM versions of windows 7, oem version.
    e.g. this looks too good on komplett:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=500038

can I deploy that on an existing machine?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes. But with OEM versions, you are (theoretically) tying the license key to that machine, as opposed to retail versions where you can move the key from one computer to another.

A second limitation is that you have to choose which version (32 bit or 64 bit) you want at the time of purchase, and are then limited to that. With the retail versions, both are included on the disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It's for system builders, basically. You can buy it fine, and it will install and work for you. It comes with specific OEM licence restrictions, however:
    - You cannot perform an operating system upgrade from a different version of Windows, it requires a complete reformat and reinstall
    - You receive no support from either Microsoft or Komplett for it
    - It can be activated, legally, on one machine, and one machine only
    - You cannot transfer the licence to another machine, it is tied to the machine you first activate it on (ie. if you buy a new PC next year, then you buy a new copy of 7 too)
    - If the machine you first activate it on is scrapped or dies, your OEM licence gets scrapped/dies with it
    - You get either 32-bit OR 64-bit as opposed to retail, which gives you both choices

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

thanks guys, I suppose at 95EUR its not bad price compared to retail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Possedion wrote: »
    thanks guys, I suppose at 95EUR its not bad price compared to retail.

It's all down to how you use your system. An OEM licence is not much good for ppl who swap out their Motherboard, Graphics card, Memory ect on a yearly basis. If your happy with the system you are installing the OEM licence on and do not intend changing it too much over the next 5 years then it's probably fine.

On another point I wonder how much latitude Microsoft give you with an OEM licence. For instance if you only swap out the Hard disc(or add more) and Graphics card is the licence affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I changed hardware loads of times when I had my oem XP version. Whenever I re-installed the OS I used to just ring microsoft and tell them that I had to replace the motherboard or whatever. Sometimes they didn't even ask why and just gave me the activation code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, they seem pretty lenient with it. I usually upgrade my machine in cycles - CPU/motherboard/RAM one year, graphics card the next, etc. It kind of just evolves, and I only ever had to phone them for activation once and no questions were asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

I reckon OEM version is ok for most typical windows users.Those who buy a pc/laptop and run it as is for a number of years and then just replace it with a new pc/laptop with windows preinstalled. If for example they buy an OEM windows 7 disk and install it and later the motherboard goes,they are likely to replace the pc/laptop, as the price of the motherboard replacement will be pretty high and they are the type that buy the lower/mid end pcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Stephen wrote: »
    Yeah, they seem pretty lenient with it. I usually upgrade my machine in cycles - CPU/motherboard/RAM one year, graphics card the next, etc. It kind of just evolves, and I only ever had to phone them for activation once and no questions were asked.

Just be warned, i did hear a rumour few months back that Microsoft were planning on clamping down on OEM software being 'abused' with the release of Windows 7. No idea if this is the case or not.

Advertisement