Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin GPS map updates

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Mods: Apologies if this is the wrong forum, please move as appropriate

Folks,

Garmin have updated their European basemap in the past week or two. The revised coverage is viewable at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6299# (click on the View Map tab) and is called version 2010.20.

Changes of note for Irish users from the previous version (2010.10) include:
    • N4 Dromod/Rooskey bypass now included
    • M8 Cullahil to Cashel included (but no Michelstown - Fermoy)
    • M50 J7 (Red Cow) now shows the upgraded junction
    • M6 is now correctly shown all the way to Athlone (used to show Kinnegad - Kilbeggan as N6)

The Phase 2 motorway redesignations don't appear to be included in this version, and the Carlow bypass is still incorrectly shown as dual carriageway (even though it's correctly labelled as M9).

The map data for all of Europe now exceeds 4GB, so it doesn't all fit onto my nuvi 760 in one go. You have the option of selecting a smaller subset such as "UK & Ireland" or "Western Europe".

With so many updates required in the next six months to keep up with the avalanche of MIU openings, it's probably not worth shelling out for an update on a one-off basis. However, if you have a lifetime map update subscription then get downloading!

/csd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

csd wrote: »
    The map data for all of Europe now exceeds 4GB, so it doesn't all fit onto my nuvi 760 in one go. You have the option of selecting a smaller subset such as "UK & Ireland" or "Western Europe".
    According to Mapsource and indeed the Garmin web site (see your link, then choose the Requirements tab and then Download requirements) it totals 1.72MB, and indeed that's what is reported on my nuvi 760 where it installed completely without problems. Where are you getting this 4GB figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Alun wrote: »
    According to Mapsource and indeed the Garmin web site (see your link, then choose the Requirements tab and then Download requirements) it totals 1.72MB, and indeed that's what is reported on my nuvi 760 where it installed completely without problems. Where are you getting this 4GB figure from?

I got a 4.1GB file when I followed the download links after logging into MyGarmin and saw there was an update for one of my maps. It took nearly four hours to download; here's the output of a "ls -l":
    alpha:Desktop csd$ ls -lh garmin_rmu_cneunt2010_20.dmg 
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 csd  csd   4.1G 26 Oct 00:04 garmin_rmu_cneunt2010_20.dmg

And this is the previous version (2010_10):
    alpha:Desktop csd$ ls -lh Garmin_rmu_cneunt2010.dmg 
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 csd  csd   3.6G 16 Oct 21:30 Garmin_rmu_cneunt2010.dmg

I see you really meant to say "1.72GB" rather than "1.72MB", but that's still a big difference from 4.1GB... I'm using their Mac software, but surely that wouldn't explain such a big discrepancy.

Either way, during the install of this update I was told the the whole lot wouldn't fit in one go, and would I please select which bits I'd like to install. The 2010_10 version never asked me that. I just assumed this was because it went over 4GB for the first time, and there's a 4GB flash drive in the nuvi 760. Having had a look at it again, I see there's a 2GB flash card installed internally, which has 1.82GB in use, but I don't have Eastern Europe installed...

Have you got an external SD card in yours that it might be using for storage? Or maybe I have too many waypoints stored on my unit, which is eating up disk space...

/csd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I have an old (~2007) version of the Garmin maps and that plus routable OSM does the job nicely :D Has all the new roads on it too which is great.

I got a 4.1GB file when I followed the download links after logging into MyGarmin and saw there was an update for one of my maps. It took nearly four hours to download; here's the output of a "ls -l":
    Depending on your definition of a GB (1,000,000 vs. 1,048,576) that's right. That includes not only the map updates themselves, but a new version of Mapsource and some other stuff too. Anyway, the size of all the map files that come with the update doesn't seem to tie up either with what's installed in Mapsource or what's actually downloaded to the device. I think there's some kind of compression or packing being done when creating the image to download to the device (you'll notice that part of the process takes quite a long time).
    I see you really meant to say "1.72GB" rather than "1.72MB", but that's still a big difference from 4.1GB... I'm using their Mac software, but surely that wouldn't explain such a big discrepancy.
    See above. My gmapprom.img, the map file, is 1.72GB, or 1,855,324,160 bytes (1GB = 1,048,576bytes)
    Either way, during the install of this update I was told the the whole lot wouldn't fit in one go, and would I please select which bits I'd like to install. The 2010_10 version never asked me that. I just assumed this was because it went over 4GB for the first time, and there's a 4GB flash drive in the nuvi 760. Having had a look at it again, I see there's a 2GB flash card installed internally, which has 1.82GB in use, but I don't have Eastern Europe installed...

Have you got an external SD card in yours that it might be using for storage? Or maybe I have too many waypoints stored on my unit, which is eating up disk space...
    The internal storage on the 760 is 2GB, so if you have any extraneous stuff on your device, waypoints, POI's, or voices and languages you maybe don't need etc., then it can be just on the limit, yes, and I assume that's why you got your warning.

I got no such warning when installing mine, and I've got everything on my 760 including Western Europe.

I do have an SD card but that just has MP3's on it, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will wait a few days and get these the unusual way I got 2010.10....

Are the POI's updated at all? Useful as they are for doing historical research on 'that empty site looks like it was a petrol station', they're not much use for anything else... a fuel station cull and rename would be EXTREMELY useful.

• Advertisement

Few days + boredom = few hours. Got it on the unit now.

A major annoyance I had with 2010.10 was that the southern arm of the R136 Outer Ring Road wasn't there, and now it is. Will be interested to see if speed limits on the phase one redesignated MIU's (and the Cork raised-speed DCs/R roads) are corrected - will lead to much more accurate arrival time estimates if they are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've a Garmin but does anyone else think £85 is extortionate for a mapping update that just fixes a few odds and ends?

When I originally got my Sat "Nag" I assumed the map updates would be free. Imagine my face.

Of course its extortionate, particularly considering the maps are poor to begin with.

Not that I've paid for one, admittedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Just tried this myself on the 760, same thing, too big for the device etc. Installing a specific part of Europe is not much use to me at all. This download was 3.45Gb, the previous one was 3.03Gb.

I wonder if there's a better workaround than this.

wellbutty wrote: »
    Just tried this myself on the 760, same thing, too big for the device etc. Installing a specific part of Europe is not much use to me at all. This download was 3.45Gb, the previous one was 3.03Gb.

I wonder if there's a better workaround than this.
    Assuming you have the old map of all of Europe on there, it's probably only a matter of a megabyte or two of extraneous stuff on there that's preventing the installation. The actual map file, gmapprom.img is only 1.72GB, or 1,855,324,160 bytes. Compare that to the size of the current file on your unit, and you'll know exactly how much you need to get rid of.

It fitted on mine with about 10MB to spare, so take a good look at what you've got on the built in storage on the Nuvi and see if there's anything that doesn't belong there, or could potentially get moved to an SD card. Prime candidate for removal and or trimming would be voices and languages you'll never use, vehicle icons or bloated POI/ favourites files. You could also delete any screendumps in /scrn and delete any saved trip log (do that from the nuvi itself Setup > My Data > Clear trip Log).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

MYOB wrote: »
    Of course its extortionate, particularly considering the maps are poor to begin with.

Not that I've paid for one, admittedly.

Tis an extortionate, rip-off price. But you'll have to keep your methods of getting them to yourself, looks to me like you're hinting at possibly having pirated the updates - and as you well know, discussion of piracy/pirated goods isn't allowed on Boards. It'll get you into trouble and it'll get me into trouble if I don't say something, so we best leave it there.

Cheers. :)

TeleAtlas have almost gotten the new M9 right, albeit it's called N9 and there's still a phantom roundabout near Waterford which I've reported. The new N10 is on it as well. Still no Galway to Athlone. Navteq are way behind :mad:

Anyone want to help me submit the map fixes?!

http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php
    http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I used to send them updates, then I discovered OSM and realised it just wasnt worth the effort :D

If you put the OSM maps on the Garmin, will they replace the Navteq ones or will they be overlaid on the Navteq maps? Do the OSM ones have speed limits, distance, time etc built into them?

On my GPSMap60csx they just appear as another set of mapping tiles which can be turned on or off. They are routable but I'm not sure about speed limits (and hence time).

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Folks,

I've just downloaded the new version (2011.2).

None of the recent schemes are on it (M3, M7/M8, M6 Ballinasloe-Galway), but the motorway redesignations are there (finally).

Wonder how long it'll take before the inter-urbans are on there properly...

/csd

I've given up trying to submit changes to TeleAtlas and Navteq, all I get back are emails of "insufficient information"...I can't see what more I can possibly add to the submission.

Here's a typical TeleAtlas report I've done, if someone who's had success can tell me where I've went wrong I might try again:

http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/ReportStatus/f7cf5c7b-8a2d-102d-bbf7-6dd0cd91707e/en

This roundabout is still on the TeleAtlas website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Folks,

I've just downloaded the new version (2011.2).

None of the recent schemes are on it (M3, M7/M8, M6 Ballinasloe-Galway), but the motorway redesignations are there (finally).

Wonder how long it'll take before the inter-urbans are on there properly...

/csd

I wish the would hurry up about it. What changes are there from the previous upgrade?

Deedsie wrote: »
    I wish the would hurry up about it. What changes are there from the previous upgrade?

Deeside,

From a rather cursory check, the main updates from 2010.3 I've spotted are:
    • M6 Athlone to Ballinasloe
    • N25 Waterford bypass
    • N52 Tullamore bypass
    • M1/M50 interchange updated to include new free-flows
    • N4/R120 junction grade separation
    • Most of the motorway redesignations (but not the M4 Kinnegad - McNead's Bridge section, for some reason)
    /csd

• Advertisement
Advertisement