Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly toilet - anything I can do?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I have done something really stuipd:mad:

My shower wasn't draining well so I investigated and dug out some hair. After this it was draining better but there was a horrible smell:eek: so i did more digging and dug out a huge amount of hair. Without thinking I then chucked that hair into the toilet and flushed it away (or so I thought). Now I have the horrible smell coming from my toilet instead:( The toilet is flushing and refilling as normal. It has to be blocked somewhere because of the smell but not where it would affect the filling & refilling of the toilet.

I've poured drain cleaner down both the shower and wash bash and a product called 'HG' in the toilet (the other products say not to use in toilets, whereas this HG one didn't), however the smell persists.

Is there anything else I can do or is time to call in the plumber:confused:

Cheers,
    Mel.b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

This is a hairy situation......Sorry for the pun....Get a mop head stick it into a plastic bag and try and plunge it. It might shift the hair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i reckon the smell is still coming from the shower tray.

as a toilet is designed so that no smell comes up from the pipes.

so have another root round the shower there maybe more hair.

and from what i have seen if stale soapy water gets caught it can stink. try getting a drain unblocking gel and make sure its suitable for your shower tray. and give that a shot.

but i really dont think its coming from the toilet.

On another note have you tried the sink?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Have you reseated the trap correctly in the shower? The trap prevents smells coming back up so I suspect that it's the culprit. I doubt it's the toilet that causing the smells if it's flushing correctly.
    Here's a link that may be of use.http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-clean-a-shower-waste-trap-261340/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont believe its coming from the toilet. Its either coming from the shower tray or the sink overflow hole. Alternativly it could be traveling back into the bathroom if there is a hole to the attic for the fan. Builders sometimes vent the 4" pipe in the attic and dont connect the fan correctly both problems together cause the smell to travel back down into the bathroom giving an apperence of smell coming from bathroom.

Another 90's problem could be if you use blue loo in the cistern it is starting to smell as it does not all wash away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cheers all and thanks for the suggestions. The reason I thought (think) the smell is coming from the toilet as when you stand near the toilet you can smell it really strongly and when you are near the shower (or basin) it is not as noticeable.

However, stapeler maybe on the right track as after I cleaned out the shower drain hole I didn't replace one part so I'll go and put that back in and see if it makes a difference.

I've done the drain unblocking gel on both the shower and basin so I don't think that is the problem.

Mel.b

• Advertisement
Advertisement