Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a bargain? Xbox 360

• 26-10-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

I'm mulling over getting an Xbox for the young'ns (and myself)
    However as I read into the product on wikipedia I'm becoming perturbed.

Apparently a new "Jasper" chip is supposed to cut down on the failure rate of the console dramaticaly, however I cant tell when looking online if something is "jasper" or not.

so.... how can I know what I'm buying is the most up to date and least likely to fail

2) Is this a good bargain? because its the same price as This & you seem to get more for your money.

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭MURDO

Have read at this.. i got an xbox last year, no troubles to date, but i subscribe to an xbox forums blog on this topic. have alook at this link..

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=79&threadid=2249461

Basicly what you are looking for the 12.1 on the side of the box. you can read through the gap. most stores will let you have a peak... its there loss if they dont let you...

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

thought id save starting a new thread n add to this one, does anyone know where is doing the best deals on xbox 360's this xmas??

Xtra-vision have the elite for 250
    Play.com have it for 259 but you get fifa 10, pure and lego batman, plus an extra controller

anyone know of anything better?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LanceStorm wrote: »
    thought id save starting a new thread n add to this one, does anyone know where is doing the best deals on xbox 360's this xmas??

Xtra-vision have the elite for 250
    Play.com have it for 259 but you get fifa 10, pure and lego batman, plus an extra controller

anyone know of anything better?
    Wireless Pack plus Elite on Amazon comes to £213 sterling. It was about a tenner cheaper yesterday.

Or buy the Elite and get two extra selected games for £10.

I'm sure there was a thread on the main BA forum recently if you nosy around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭brosna

There is a blog on Irish Deals here http://irishdeals.blogspot.com/2009/11/do-you-want-to-buy-xbox-
    360-elite.html

that looks at the best XBox online deals available for delivery to Ireland.

Similar blogs on Wii and Nintendo DS & DSI also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

brosna wrote: »
    There is a blog on Irish Deals here http://irishdeals.blogspot.com/2009/11/do-you-want-to-buy-xbox-
    360-elite.html

that looks at the best XBox online deals available for delivery to Ireland.

Similar blogs on Wii and Nintendo DS & DSI also.

Nice way to hawk your website, and is that a referral code I see in the link to the Amazon site from your blog? Also, your lead price is wildly inaccurate - adding that to my cart and signing in bumps up the price to £200 because of the difference in VAT rates, and free postage is only for the UK, so including postage the total is £206.78 and not £189.99 ...and that's just for the console, not the games. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭brosna

Nice way to hawk your website, and is that a referral code I see in the link to the Amazon site from your blog? Also, your lead price is wildly inaccurate - adding that to my cart and signing in bumps up the price to £200 because of the difference in VAT rates, and free postage is only for the UK, so including postage the total is £206.78 and not £189.99 ...and that's just for the console, not the games. :rolleyes:
    Hi TouchingVirus,

I am simply helping to answer a request that somebody posted.

My signature clearly points out my association with the Irish Deals blog.

I take your point in relation to the Amazon VAT Rate. As you have correctly pointed out I had not included the VAT differential and I have amended prices where applicable. Thanks for your help in pointing this out.

The games do come at a cost of £10 plus VAT differential - quote from Amazon "Get two selected games from £10 when you buy this from Amazon.co.uk"
    AND there is there is is free SUPERSAVER delivery to Ireland with Amazon if you spend more than £25 This super saver delivery has been widely advertised on Boards.ie http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055702344&highlight=amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

brosna wrote: »
    Hi TouchingVirus,

I am simply helping to answer a request that somebody posted.

My signature clearly points out my association with the Irish Deals blog.

I take your point in relation to the Amazon VAT Rate. As you have correctly pointed out I had not included the VAT differential and I have amended prices where applicable. Thanks for your help in pointing this out.

The games do come at a cost of £10 plus VAT differential - quote from Amazon "Get two selected games from £10 when you buy this from Amazon.co.uk"
    AND there is there is is free SUPERSAVER delivery to Ireland with Amazon if you spend more than £25 This super saver delivery has been widely advertised on Boards.ie http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055702344&highlight=amazon

Hi Brosna,

Clearly you're affiliated with the IrishDeals blog with it being in your signature, I just thought it rather indecent to not only point the OP to your website but that you're earning money from Amazon's referal program and quoting inaccurate prices. Initially your Amazon-based offer looked better than Zavvi's ..but in the end, Zavvi didn't throw up extra £10 because of the VAT differences.

Thanks for correcting me on the shipping charges though, I didn't know Amazon had implemented free shipping for Irish customers and they certainly didn't make it known during my shopping experience there today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

OP if you are looking to buy in High Street rather than online, I recommend you check out HMV. I did a bit of shopping around in Dublin a few weeks ago and found them to have the best price. I got the Xbox Elite with Fifa10 and Halo ODST for €239.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    OP if you are looking to buy in High Street rather than online, I recommend you check out HMV. I did a bit of shopping around in Dublin a few weeks ago and found them to have the best price. I got the Xbox Elite with Fifa10 and Halo ODST for €239.
    That's pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

an elite with fifa 10 and forza 3 is now 225 in hmv. great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

I got a deal last night in hmv.
    Xbox elite with forza and fifa 10 was 225
    then immediatly swapped fifa 10 for halo odst
    the difference was 6.99

So halo odst(include halo3) and forza + Xbox elite 120gb (jasper version) €231.99

Advertisement