Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Lithuanian has my phone. Advice please

• 26-10-2009 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Last Sunday my mobile phone went missing in Dublin city centre. I realised that it was gone within an hour and phoned Vodafone to block my number. I see now from my bill that in that hour the phone was used to phone Lithuania -- I have the numbers and have called them but the people on the other end don't speak English. What to do? Someone in Dublin has my phone and I'd like it back. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Sounds harsh but forget about getting your phone back. Get onto Vodafone and get the IMEI black listed so it cannot be used on any other Irish network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

This isn't a nice person who is intent on handing your phone into the nearest garda station or giving it to the premises where it was lost, it is a thief who both stole the phone and used it to great expense at your expense, so I'm afraid you will in all likelyhood not be getting that phone back.

When you get your replacement SIM, you'll probably have to get a replacement phone.

Get Vodafone to block the phone too so the scummy little git won't be able to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Get it blocked. Log the numbers that it called. Report it to An Gardaí. Don't expect much to happen. That's about all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

also if you have insurance check to see if they cover 'misuse of airtime', they might cover the Lithuanian calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Get it blacklisted, you can keep your same number on a new sim if you want it, if you have insurance it should cover it for the cost of the calls, if not vodafone might meet you halfway on the charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Allatrosyhill

Thanks for all the advice -- and sorry if this is a bit dense but could you tell me what the IMEI number is? I didn't take down any numbers off the fone -- but do still have the box (only a month old grrrr) -- would that number be on the box?

....and this is nothing to do with it but just discovered my bike has been stolen -- lock cable snipped with some sort of giant clippers -- that's two rubbish/expensive weekends in a row!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

IMEI
    International Mobile Equipment Identity a number unique to every mobile phone. It is usually found printed on the phone underneath the battery. It can be found by typing *#06# on a handset. It can be use to block your phone if stolen.

It should be printed on the box too. Hard luck with the bike :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

....and this is nothing to do with it but just discovered my bike has been stolen -- lock cable snipped with some sort of giant clippers -- that's two rubbish/expensive weekends in a row!!!!

Lesson learned, never use cable locks unless you're using them in conjunction with a good u lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

OP text all the numbers called in Lithuanian (get someone to translate) saying that the phone was stolen when the call was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Good idea ^^ Did you get the IMEI blocked O.P ? Your best bet really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A similar scum swiped my brothers missus phone and made e1200 worth of calls to his/her home country overnight before it was discovered missing. She only found out about the calls a month later when her bill arrived as a Vodafone rep told her at the time of reporting that the phone was never used in the space of time that it was stolen. The bill was disputed because of this and she has since changed service provider because of the appalling treatment from her service provider.

Advertisement