Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of a short film night

Options
  • 26-10-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and a few mates are going to be starting a short film night in the new year.

Just wondering if there would be any legal problems showing shorts from youtube, vimeo et al?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

where you showing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

In a nightclub style venue. We'd hope to have 50-100 people there.

well if they are mostly from youtube/vimeo, they have a contract they agreed with google etc, I dont know if that includes communial viewings, you just need to confirms it.

a quick look says:
    10. Rights you licence

10.1 When you upload or post a User Submission to YouTube, you grant:

1. to YouTube, a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable licence (with right to sub-licence) to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform that User Submission in connection with the provision of the Services and otherwise in connection with the provision of the Website and YouTube's business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels;
    2. to each user of the Website, a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, licence to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions to the extent permitted by the functionality of the Website and under these Terms.

10.2 The above licenses granted by you in User Videos terminate when you remove or delete your User Videos from the Website. The above licenses granted by you in User Comments are perpetual and irrevocable, but are otherwise without prejudice to your ownerships rights, which are retained by you as set out in paragraph 8.2 above.

Which means go wild pretty much on anything youtube related as long as its through youtube.

Oh great, thanks a million for your help.

I'll get a copy of those terms and conditions and stick them in with our proposal to the venue owners.

Cheers,
    m83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

As far as I'm aware the Terms and Conditions on Vimeo are slightly different, no harm to check them out

Also no harm and probably good manners to contact the maker of the film and let them know that you intend to screen their work especially if you intend to charge admission to the screening.

• Advertisement

johnfunk wrote: »
    Also no harm and probably good manners to contact the maker of the film and let them know that you intend to screen their work especially if you intend to charge admission to the screening.

I couldn't agree more. We're not planning on charging an admission fee but the owners themselves might dictate that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

m83 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. We're not planning on charging an admission fee but the owners themselves might dictate that one.

Thats where the problem might arise if the venue starts charging for screening they leave themselves open to copyright infringement.

As a filmmaker who has stuff posted on the web, my advice would be contact the people and ask their permission,Im sure most people would be more than happy to have there work screened

Good luck with it, where are you planning to hold the event?

Thats where the problem might arise if the venue starts charging for screening they leave themselves open to copyright infringement.

not if its through youtube. Thats what everyone agrees to when you upload a video to youtube.
    a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, licence to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions to the extent permitted by the functionality of the Website

Its common cortusey and being a decent human being to run it by the filmmaker, but legally as long as its via youtube, they are fully allowed to play the videos at an event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You wouldn't want to be charging in if you're only showing stuff off Youtube.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You wouldn't want to be charging in if you're only showing stuff off Youtube.
    I get your point but that's a bit like saying you wouldn't pay to see a dj because they're only playing records.

We're not in this to make any money, it's purely because we believe it would be a great nights entertainment. But if there are costs (finger food etc) then a small cover charge may be required. I'd hope it wouldn't come to this though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

m83 wrote: »
    I get your point but that's a bit like saying you wouldn't pay to see a dj because they're only playing records.

We're not in this to make any money, it's purely because we believe it would be a great nights entertainment. But if there are costs (finger food etc) then a small cover charge may be required. I'd hope it wouldn't come to this though.

No I've paid for shorts nights before. I'm talking about quality-wise though and availability.

A few hard-to-find shorts or classics that aren't on Youtube would be more enticing.

Advertisement