Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Comedy Festival....

Options
  • 26-10-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

So now that the 2009 festival is over.... who went to what gigs?

Went to a few myself, only one I was truly disappointed with was => http://www.roisindubh.net/artistProfile.php?artistID=1084 - Apart from there being no humour (I realise it was destined to be more of a political show, but you'd still expect some humour in there), he was reading from his fcuking notepad! VERY unprofessional

Gig that pleasantly surprised me the most was "Al Pitcher Picture Show" in Kelly's last night (Sunday) - Simple but damn funny as he brings humour from so close to home

Another very pleasant surprise was Nina Conti who did a gig alongside Colin Murphy and others at the Black Box on Sat night. She's a ventriloquist from London. Thought it would be crap (i'm generally not a fan) but was blown away by her, she absolutily took the p1ss out of herself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Had tickets to Nina Conti for her other gig in Kelly's, and due to family stuff had to miss it:(
    She's great.

Wanted to go see Reg Hunter too - nice guy.

The other thing is that the Theatre Festival AND the comedy festival were on the same week for some strange reason. We'll be bored off our arses another week.

Theatre Fest had some good stuff too but I missed a fair bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

There was a comedy festival on? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

I went to Campbells Comedy Olympics last night in Headford. Good line up and the locals were really up for it. It's about time we got some decent gigs out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

Anyone see dead cat bounce? they were on the same nite as pj gallagher.
    Didn't know what to expect with them,thought they were class

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

I was volunteering at the Theatre festival, it was great.. didn't catch any of the comedy festival though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Went to Nina Conti myself, I saw her stuff on youtube before so knew what to expect, although the final part was a total surprise for me and very good artistically I thought.

After that went to the Town Hall for the 11:30 pm gig which was ok - don't remember names; Went to the same on Sunday, was pretty disappointed, Andrew Maxwell was high (which is not bad in itself :) ), Stuart Lee was after a full show and wasn't too bothered, Kevin from Glasgow was very good, then for some reason I laughed with tears when the last guy (English)
    fisted the teddy bear
    - couldn't control myself :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

was da fr ted yoke any good
    what was fr jack like

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

coldwood92 wrote: »
    what was fr jack like

It was alright - Fr Jack was only there to introduce the stand ups. Patrick Gallagher was quite good, some old material though. He's still going on about having a big head. Can't remember the real name, but Fr. Stone was pure muck, brought out of retirement to do this thing purely because he was in Fr Ted I'd say. Rambled on, can't remember any laughs. Interval. Then Joe Rooney was very good, got plenty of laughs, but he had a flu and finished early. Glad it was only a tenner, but made a good start to the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

coldwood92 wrote: »
    what was fr jack like

The Fr. Ted gig was good. It was what was to be expected... good clean humour. It's the kind of thing you could go to with your parents and not cringe

Just to add though, I thought that the whole advertising for it was a bit of a fraud. I say this in the sense that Fr. Jack was all over the place for advertisments, yet he spoke for probably only about 1 minute during the whole gig. All he did was literly introduce each act, and then tell people to go to the pub

rocky wrote: »
    Stuart Lee was after a full show and wasn't too bothered, Kevin from Glasgow was very good, then for some reason I laughed with tears when the last guy (English)
    fisted the teddy bear
    - couldn't control myself :confused:

Stuart Lee was a MASSIVE disappointment though I must say - regardless if he was after a full gig or not, we were still paying customers. Worst set ever tbh. The 2 people I went with fell asleep when he was on stage :eek:

In fairness we were scuttled drunk after a proper day session, so got involved with a bit of friendly heckling with Andrew Maxwell... I was Andrew's attorney - obviously didn't p1ss him off as I got a thanks from him after the show :p "HARSH... BUT FAIR"

• Advertisement

Tedfest is up again in Feb. Inis Mór AND Iniseer this year, so there's no fighting! :)
    There's usually one or 2 actors/writers connection to the tv series, but the regular 'Ted inspired' madness is where the craic is to be had tbh!

inisboffin wrote: »
    Tedfest is up again in Feb. Inis Mór AND Iniseer this year, so there's no fighting! :)
    There's usually one or 2 actors/writers connection to the tv series, but the regular 'Ted inspired' madness is where the craic is to be had tbh!

Gonna make a real effort to go to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I went to Campbells Comedy Olympics last night in Headford. Good line up and the locals were really up for it. It's about time we got some decent gigs out here.
    Me too, found it a really enjoyable night and it proved that the locals are up for a bit of comedy. Campbell's rocks!

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Me too, found it a really enjoyable night and it proved that the locals are up for a bit of comedy. Campbell's rocks!

Sorry to have missed it, glad it went well. Hear Robbie Bonham was down, he usually does a really solid set.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

i saw the 8 o' clock show in the town hall sunday.
    kevin mcaleer was ok but thought stuart lee was pretty boring.
    his stories rambled on for so long.
    sharon shannon came on stage with him at the end and they played a good version of galway girl but asides from that it wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Stuart Lee was a MASSIVE disappointment though I must say - regardless if he was after a full gig or not, we were still paying customers. Worst set ever tbh. The 2 people I went with fell asleep when he was on stage :eek:

In fairness we were scuttled drunk after a proper day session, so got involved with a bit of friendly heckling with Andrew Maxwell... I was Andrew's attorney - obviously didn't p1ss him off as I got a thanks from him after the show :p "HARSH... BUT FAIR"

ye, that was funny :)

I was sitting in front of the guy that laughed very loudly through the entire Stuart Lee 'performance', a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

PJ Gallagher and Dead Cat Bounce on Thurs night were a real surprie. Cant stand Naked Camera but he stays well clear of the show and his own material is hilarious at times. Dead Cat bounce are excellent, well worth a see if they are in town again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

Went to Maeve Higgins and Des Bishop on Friday night in the Radisson. Really enjoyed Maeve and Des and the support.

Thought there would be more of an atmosphere in the crowd at the start with a few hecklers to keep us entertained (the heckler didn't arrive until the end and Des duly put them in their place though) but had a good night overall and thought the crowd improved as the show went on. Wished I could have gotten to a few more gigs!

Thought the collection by Des was a good idea and must sponsor him on line for the marathon. Not sure how it went for him but hope it went well!

Does anyone know where Neil Delamere was on?? I saw his name on the festival website but didn't see him mentioned in any line ups. Saw him as MC in Killkenny in May and would have liked to have seen him again. Think it will have to be Castlebar at Christmas then....

Advertisement