Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Floor, L4D or wait for L4D2?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Enjoyed the free weekend of Killing Floor more than I thought. I'm thinking I'll get it but just wanted to check a couple of things:

If someone already has it what's it like getting a server? I was concerned by the lack of servers on the weekend (a search usually only brought back a handful) and wondered if people were only playing because it was free? So if I go to buy it now there will be no one on.

I liked the game but wondered if there will be much point to it on a casual basis. It looks like it has limited appeal in terms of depth and unless I join a clan of some type I'm probably never going to see a patriach.

Or should I scrap KF and just get L4D or is it pointless getting it with L4D2 around the corner? Is L4D potentially worse from a casual point of view seeing as it's 4 player and you need to move from A to B etc (ie you need proper coordination instead of just bumbling about).

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

L4D is simply superb. I can't remember the last game I got so much entertainment out of. I'm still playing it, a year on. I enjoyed KF over the weekend but it's just not as good. The number of people playing L4D dwarfs that of KF.

I imagine once L4D2 hits people will largely abandon L4D1, at least for a while. I'd wait for that then if I were you. The demo will be out in about a week (tomorrow for people who pre-ordered it), so you can judge for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

hmmm...

Might be brave and just buy L4D....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Well that's a decision you won't regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

L4D2 is already Demo-Available. You dont lose out by pre-ordering much.

L4D though is a blast and iirc you wont get access to L4D content on L4D2 unless you own both.

Im loving Crash Course. they need to make more of these mini-VS. When you do a 3 hour 5-stage game its too likely for people to ragequit. much less so for a 30 min 2-stage romp.

Overheal wrote: »
    Im loving Crash Course. they need to make more of these mini-VS. When you do a 3 hour 5-stage game its too likely for people to ragequit. much less so for a 30 min 2-stage romp.

Wow, that's a fair time commitment. Is it normal to invest that much time in a single game?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I usually find the games last about an hour or a little more. It's always great craic unless the losing team team swaps in the final round and ruins it for everyone.

Now I'm conflicted..... On Steam L4D is 24.99 or L4D2 £26.99!!!

Vot should I get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Overheal wrote: »
    L4D2 is already Demo-Available. You dont lose out by pre-ordering much.

L4D though is a blast and iirc you wont get access to L4D content on L4D2 unless you own both.

Tried to purchase online on Steam but I get
    Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address

What should I put in for the zip code? Tried most of the usual suspects (0, 00000, EIRE, n/a)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

http://nerfnow.com/comic/187

Like this guy I was bored of L4D before I even finished the last campaign.
    Its just very samey with very little content.

Me and three friends got it on release day and havent played it since we did our first run through.

TomCo wrote: »

http://nerfnow.com/comic/187

Like this guy I was bored of L4D before I even finished the last campaign.
    Its just very samey with very little content.

Me and three friends got it on release day and havent played it since we did our first run through.

...another person who never tried Versus mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Maximilian wrote: »
    ...another person who never tried Versus mode.

Versus mode never did much for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vs. with the guys from boards was my best gaming experience of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Versus mode never did much for me.
    I bet your a witch.. Enrage us with your hate of L4D, then when we come to your house to kick your ass....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Retr0gamer wrote: »

+1 great fun.

Its funny because bill is a peashooter.
    Illkillya wrote: »
    Tried to purchase online on Steam but I get
    Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address

What should I put in for the zip code? Tried most of the usual suspects (0, 00000, EIRE, n/a)
    did you leave it blank ever?

You can ask on the steam forums too, here: Help and Tips

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Aww :)

I miss being insulted by Marsh.

I'm sure he will be playing the left 4 dead 2 demo tonight and has the benny hill music lined up for it.

Wow, that's a fair time commitment. Is it normal to invest that much time in a single game?
    Yes and No. Survivor Mode you can finish in half that. The whole concept was you are the Character in a zombie horror flick. So it was meant to ake an hour and a half or so. Add VS mode though, where each team gets their own run through as Survivors and Zombies.

Its very enjoyable, but yes it can seem like a large time commitment to play anywhere from 1-3 hours based purely on the pacing which heavily relies on the players involved. Boomers have a serious tendency to slow things down, usually to the glee of the Zombie team. A pro team can rush 5 stages in a little an hour (about 30 mins each way) against a poor team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Ill be on tomo night guys, have a ****ty project to do tonight.

Ill be there. Hell yeah. Just hope they dont open it up at 23:59 like they usually do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

So when is the demo out? Mouse pointer is hovering over the pre-purchase button. Surprised there isn't more discussion on here about it. Will anyone be bothering to get the demo early?

Tonight for pre purchasers.

I have it pre loaded already.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Aww :)

I miss being insulted by Marsh.
    I'm sure he will be playing the left 4 dead 2 demo tonight and has the benny hill music lined up for it.

He's too cheap. I think he is relying on being able to persuade Si to buy it for him.

Advertisement