Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehog please help

Options
  • 26-10-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

We had a hedgehog wonder into our garden in Spring, it stayed for nearly all the summer and then went away for about a month. It is back now and we are feeding it again. The reason I am worried is because it has started to appear during the day (I know this is not normal behaviour).

I'm wondering is it out during the day because it is trying to get as much food into itself as possible before it goes off an hibernates or is it sick? (it does not seem to be acting erratically and it is eating well)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Buglim wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

We had a hedgehog wonder into our garden in Spring, it stayed for nearly all the summer and then went away for about a month. It is back now and we are feeding it again. The reason I am worried is because it has started to appear during the day (I know this is not normal behaviour).

I'm wondering is it out during the day because it is trying to get as much food into itself as possible before it goes off an hibernates or is it sick? (it does not seem to be acting erratically and it is eating well)

Hedgehogs will come out in the day time coming up to hibernation trying to fatten up as much as possible before going to sleep as long as it is eating ok and there are no signs of injury I wouldn't be concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Check out cottagerescue.ie they've taken in some hedgies this year and if you've any questions about the hedgies behaviour you could ask them.
    So jealous no sign of hedgies whatsoever in our garden and the gardens as wild as it gets in most areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Do hedgehogs come in various sizes....? Different breeds like....?

I half stood on one while popping outside in NZ(barefoot and all!) and the thing was GIGANTIC talk about a scream outta me. All the ones you see on the telly are normally tiny and small enough looking:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Porcupine?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

....I'll check if they have them in NZ :eek:
    But I'd have been severely stabbed if it was one of them

Hedgehog on steroids is what I'm thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

I think the Hedgehogs in New Zealand are the European species which were introduced. Pretty sure there are no porcupine or echidna in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    ....I'll check if they have them in NZ :eek:
    But I'd have been severely stabbed if it was one of them

Hedgehog on steroids is what I'm thinking.

this is kinda off topic but if you got cut from stepping on it, you prob need to get a tetanus?? there always full of flees n ticks..n god knows what else...

Buglim; hedgehogs usually stay within a 3 mile radius i think, thats prob why hes back, alot of people feed them cat food.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Do hedgehogs come in various sizes....? Different breeds like....?

I half stood on one while popping outside in NZ(barefoot and all!) and the thing was GIGANTIC talk about a scream outta me. All the ones you see on the telly are normally tiny and small enough looking:eek::confused:

There are different species in different countries, though they are relatively the same size!

I've never seen anything like the size of the one that night.

Slightly off topic myself here but seeing as it's all about hedgehogs...what are you allowed to feed a hedgehog?Just in case any come my way.
    I mean..onions and chocolate are very bad for dogs...so....wouldn't wanna accidentally poison the wee thing by giving it the wrong thing:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hedgehogs usually go for the dog/cat food if it's left out. (don't give them fish flavoured ones) You can give them tiny bits of mince /chicken (cooked and cut up very very small), peanuts (unsalted, like ones you'd have in birdfeeders), tiny bits of cheese sometimes.
    *don't* give them bread or milk, makes them sick.

I think some places actually stock hedgehog food too.

star-pants wrote: »
    Hedgehogs usually go for the dog/cat food if it's left out. (don't give them fish flavoured ones) You can give them tiny bits of mince /chicken (cooked and cut up very very small), peanuts (unsalted, like ones you'd have in birdfeeders), tiny bits of cheese sometimes.
    *don't* give them bread or milk, makes them sick.

I think some places actually stock hedgehog food too.

Dog or cat food is ok for hedgehogs but no cheese or dairy in any form, hedgehogs are lactose intolerant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

i know pet hedgehogs also eat dry cat food and mealworms, maxizoo do a wet hedgehog food but i dont know what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Loads of advice here:

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

They are a genuine world authority on hedgehogs & all wildlife. Vets come from all over the world to study there. They will also give advice over the phone.

Les Stocker has written some brilliant books on wildlife care - highly recommended. Practical Wildlife Care available from the site is the bible for anyone interested in helping wildlife.

Advertisement