Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berbatov Vs. Shevchenko

• 26-10-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

I know this is early with not half the season gone, but having a debate in work over whether Berbs will be sold on at the end of the season and if so will he have been a worse signing than most peoples choice for worst value signing Shevchenko with both about the 30mil mark!!

Berbatov - 56 apps - 17goals
    Shevchenko - 75apps - 22goals

The race is on, can Berba score 5 goals in all comps by the end of the season!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

LanceStorm wrote: »
    I know this is early with not half the season gone, but having a debate in work over whether Berbs will be sold on at the end of the season and if so will he have been a worse signing than most peoples choice for worst value signing Shevchenko with both about the 30mil mark!!

I think Berba will have a better season this year!! He will get the 5 before christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I thing to be fair to berbs he adds more to the team without getting goals than schev did however he'd want to start scoring consistently to ever have a hope of justifying that fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

The race is on, can Berba score 5 goals in all comps by the end of the season in his next 19 appearances

FYP

Seriously though, Berbatov is certainly more of a success than Sheva IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

He plays much better for his country then United!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Berbatov, while seeming a pretty poor purchase so far, at least adds something from time to time, Sheva never really did.

Plus with wages and sell on fee. I'd say Shevchenko will end up costing like twice whatever Berbatov cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

apples and oranges, shevchenko was bought as an out and out goalscorer, he was the most feared striker in world football when chelsea signed him and they expected 20+ goals a season in the league but that never happened

berbatov was signed i suspect to play the eric cantona role, he has shown in flashes his potential and talent (alot like ryan babel) but he is so lazy its unreal (alot like ryan babel :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im not sure about other utd fans but im really getting bored of berba, he has been only good this season but noting special I think

shows only glimpses of what he can do, which isnt good enough for utd. Im going to be very harsh here but Id love to see him sold in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Headshot wrote: »
    im not sure about other utd fans but im really getting bored of berba, he has been only good this season but noting special I think

shows only glimpses of what he can do, which isnt good enough for utd. Im going to be very harsh here but Id love to see him sold in January.

I wonder would he be better if the team was built around him as it was Ronaldo last season.

And in fairness if you add in the amount of goals he's set up he begins to look fairly useful.

I wonder would he be better if the team was built around him as it was Ronaldo last season.

And in fairness if you add in the amount of goals he's set up he begins to look fairly useful.

I said in another forum if utd didnt have Rooney, berba would be immense for utd that's what i think.

dont get me wrong I think his assists are superb but to me that's Rooney's job

Rooney with someone like anelka would be a great partnership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I really like Berbatov, I think he adds an awful lot in terms of creative play and picking out attacking options. To me, his goalscoring isn't what he's all about, and I doubt Fergusson sees him solely that way either. He's been great in a few games recently, but it just doesn't work for him sometimes like all players such as against Liverpool yesterday. I'm prepared to give him another season or two to show to everyone what he can do.

• Advertisement

Aye. I think we may have signed the wrong player.

He's great, but I wonder if we need him. I think he's too subtle for us.

We need someone with pace and power. Kind of wish we'd looked at Lisandro Lopez this summer, or someone of that ilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Headshot wrote: »
    I said in another forum if utd didnt have Rooney, berba would be immense for utd that's what i think.

dont get me wrong I think his assists are superb but to me that's Rooney's job

Rooney with someone like anelka would be a great partnership

I really like both Rooney and Berbatov as individual players but as a partnership they are pretty average. I miss the days of Yorke and Cole with Teddy and Solskjaer on the bench. If Obertan can step up though, from what I have seen from him, which is very limited, I believe with him playing behind Rooney and Berbs things could get very promising. Rooney won't have to drop as deep and he can be more focused with staying within 25-30 yards of the opposing goal where he is a danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd pray Fergie doesn't have some kind of aneurysm in the summer and sells him. Yesterday the guy was piss poor but so far this season I think he has been fantastic at what he adds to the team.
    The comparison to subchenko is a bit far fetched though.

killwill wrote: »
    I really like both Rooney and Berbatov as individual players but as a partnership they are pretty average. I miss the days of Yorke and Cole with Teddy and Solskjaer on the bench. If Obertan can step up though, from what I have seen from him, which is very limited, I believe with him playing behind Rooney and Berbs things could get very promising. Rooney won't have to drop as deep and he can be more focused with staying within 25-30 yards of the opposing goal where he is a danger.

nope the partnership doesnt work imo

you say Rooney wont have to drop deep but that's Rooney's game
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'd pray Fergie doesn't have some kind of aneurysm in the summer and sells him. Yesterday the guy was piss poor but so far this season I think he has been fantastic at what he adds to the team.
    The comparison to subchenko is a bit far fetched though.

hey shooter

idk maybe i missed somthing but how has he been fantastic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think if Berbatov and Robbie Keane had went opposite directions when they left Spurs they both would have done better and suited United/Liverpool better.

I thought the same re Alan Smith and Harry Kewell a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the jury is still out on Berba, obviously.

and it deserves discussion.

but to compare his time with Utd to Sheva's time with Chelsea is very insulting altogether.

i know you've only put up the goalscoring stats, fair enough, but still. he deserves a bit more respect than that comparison.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think if Berbatov and Robbie Keane had went opposite directions when they left Spurs they both would have done better and suited United/Liverpool better.

I think that's totally correct actually, on the first point.

However Harry Kewell was just a vastly superior footballer who just wasn't fit at liverpool, if he had of been he would of been of Gerrard/Torres importance to us. Did alot better that people give him credit for too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

great thought, id love to see how things would work out if that happened!!

i think berb would suit someone like torres to set up for runs and rooney/keane would suit each other with rooney doing the dog work and robbie being a good in the box finisher!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

He's great, but I wonder if we need him. I think he's too subtle for us.

We need someone with pace and power. Kind of wish we'd looked at Lisandro Lopez this summer, or someone of that ilk.

What if Owen was to start with either Berba or Rooney? Build up a strike partnership. If not then I think Carlton Cole would be a perfect striker for Utd

Potentially you're right there.
    What if Owen was to start with either Berba or Rooney? Build up a strike partnership. If not then I think Carlton Cole would be a perfect striker for Utd

I just don't think that does enough for the team though. I'd rather have one striker up front and three midfielders, with one or two of them coming up to support attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

He would have been a good signing at 7-8 million for the type of player he is but 30m+ = flop. As big a flop as Shevchenko i'm not sure but a flop none the same. His attitude does'nt help him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Without him United wouldn't have won the league last year, he will be a big part of winning the league again this year.

Most naturally gifted footballer in the division.

Laughable to suggest he should be sold on in Janurary or that he is already a flop, he has been at the club all of 13 months.

Thank god United are not foolish and they actually give signings a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Boggles wrote: »
    Without him United wouldn't have won the league last year, he will be a big part of winning the league again this year.

its your modesty & lack of arrogance that impresses me most! ;):rolleyes:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    its your modesty & lack of arrogance that impresses me most! ;):rolleyes:

So who is going to win it Al?

Chelseas imo.

Chelseas imo.

So you think Chelsea, I think United. Why is my opinion arrogant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Bandit12 wrote: »
    He would have been a good signing at 7-8 million for the type of player he is but 30m+ = flop. As big a flop as Shevchenko i'm not sure but a flop none the same. His attitude does'nt help him either.

7-8 million? are you being serious?

Boggles wrote: »
    So you think Chelsea, I think United. Why is my opinion arrogant?

because you are a Utd fan & you didnt say i think Utd will win the league this year, you said it as if it had already been decided & no one can come close to Utd.
    p_larkin99 wrote: »
    7-8 million? are you being serious?

got a chuckle out of that myself. 30+ was excessive, but 7 or 8 is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

got a chuckle out of that myself. 30+ was excessive, but 7 or 8 is hilarious.

Somwehere around the 20m mark would have probably been a little more accurate but sadly as its UTD we generally have to overpay for players.

• Advertisement

yep, i'g agree. at the time said Keane & Berba were both over priced. keane 12-16, berba 18-22. imo.

because you are a Utd fan & you didnt say i think Utd will win the league this year, you said it as if it had already been decided & no one can come close to Utd.

Me been a fan is irrelevant. You assuming what I said is quite sad. But to appease you.

I think in my humble opinion United will win the premeir league this season with at least 2 games to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wish I had your optimism Boggles, can't see us winning it a 4th year in a row and it's not a knee-jerk reaction from the weekend. Obv hope I'm wrong but I fancy Arsenal this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

RasTa wrote: »
    Obv hope I'm wrong but I fancy Arsenal this season.

all about Chelsea for me unfortunately.

especially with Joe Cole back. a fit joey is going to improve them no end in that formation. the understanding between him and lamps, even just going by Saturday against Blackburn, is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I remember people trying to argue that Berbatov was as good as, if not better, than Ibrahimovic (Zlatan is only a youtube footballer apparently). Oh lolz... Zlatan is better in EVERY single department. Berbatov lets his ego hamper his game by blaming other players, whereas the best players will use their egos to drive them on and become better (Cristiano is the perfect example of this).

Berbs is nowhere near the flop that Shevchenko was though, Shev wasn't wanted by Jose at Chelsea, he was an expensive luxury item that Abramovich wanted, Berbatov was a tactical signing by Fergie to add a new dimension to United's attack, and imo he hasnt been effective enough to warrant his big price tag.

Advertisement