Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banks are screwing us..

Options
  • 26-10-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

I wanted to go lodge a few bob today but couldn't because the bloody bank was closed.

We've bailed them out (just like we're still paying for bailing out AIB in the 80s) and yet:

1. Their useless staff are getting a payrise even though many people are suffering paycuts and job losses - in fact I heard somewhere that the average Irish bank teller (with his 10-4 opening hours) is paid more than tellers in France , Germany and Spain.

2. They still have useless opening hours even though many other European banks open for normal hours and some even open on Saturdays.

3. Despite the losses and the bailouts the same old folk still run them - so much for a clearout - when Sweden bailed out the banks they purged the management.

4. They still can't manage to transfer money instantly - they end up holding our money..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its a Bank Holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

Why should they get a holiday ?

Many many businesses are open today trying to stave the wolf from the door but the bankers are all at home tucked up in bed or on their luxury golf holiday in Spain or out having drinkies with the lads at the rugger club whilst the ordinary joe is sitting wondering will he have a job at Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Mike....is that you ?
    Hows the PC going these days,hope you got the oul malaware programme sorted.... :)

There is however a valid point behind Soden12`s post,but it aint ONLY the banks which slumber away in this respect.

Christmas is a-comin,just 2 months away,so watch how we all slip into relaxation mode and the COUNTRY shuts down for essentially two-weeks.

Is there any form of self-questioning as to whether Ireland,as a business entity can actually sustain this little mid-winter snooze ?

Oh yes,I can hear all the stuff about how we deserve the break and the workers need to get back down-the-country to be with their families etc etc etc....and sure it`s only for the Chillddrenn etc etc.. :eek:

Me,I`m a bah-humbug man through and through....Christmas Day off perhaps but then straight back to work,and no slacking !

No Public Transport on Christmas Day...?
    We even managed to sucker London into this one too.....ye really want to see what Public Service is about...? Yea ?.......Then pop over to Edinburgh on Christmas Day and you`ll find the oul presbeterian minded Scots know a thing or two more about Public Service than us Holy Irish !!!!! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

AlekSmart wrote: »
    No Public Transport on Christmas Day...?
    We even managed to sucker London into this one too.....ye really want to see what Public Service is about...? Yea ?.......Then pop over to Edinburgh on Christmas Day and you`ll find the oul presbeterian minded Scots know a thing or two more about Public Service than us Holy Irish !!!!! :mad:

I don't think Presbyterianism has anything to do with it. Presbyterians are very conservative - even the idea of working on Sundays doesn't exactly sit well with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

The whole reason that we have bank holidays was started by the banks, yes they have crap opening hours, but today what do you expect

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Just lie back and enjoy it

Unless you start a revolution there is nothing you can do about it

Just lie back and enjoy your screwing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

soden12 wrote: »
    Why should they get a holiday ?

Becauswe the staff are people.
    I was going to say 'just like you' but hopefully they are nicer.

Ironically it's people like you with nothing good to contribute that are prolonging the problem.
    I don't blame you, some of us are just.....limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

not ony do i detest them i actually despise them, thankfully i do not have any dealings with them (like aherne b) the credit union suits my meger needs, the welfare people wanted to pay my pension into a bank acc, i told them no way, as i would be charged every time i cashed it, any way i am trying to do my bit to keep my local post office open.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I wanted to go lodge a few bob today but couldn't because the bloody bank was closed.

We've bailed them out (just like we're still paying for bailing out AIB in the 80s) and yet:

1. Their useless staff are getting a payrise even though many people are suffering paycuts and job losses - in fact I heard somewhere that the average Irish bank teller (with his 10-4 opening hours) is paid more than tellers in France , Germany and Spain.

2. They still have useless opening hours even though many other European banks open for normal hours and some even open on Saturdays.

3. Despite the losses and the bailouts the same old folk still run them - so much for a clearout - when Sweden bailed out the banks they purged the management.

4. They still can't manage to transfer money instantly - they end up holding our money..

Great pay, like f**k! Spoke to a girl who is three years in the bank, she works from 8.30 to 5/5.30 every day, had to do a load of courses by night out of her own pocket, gets vile abuse from thick idiots who don't realise that its the management that are screwing the banks, not the ordinary teller. She gets paid 21,000 a year. She'd probably be better off working in Tesco, and not getting abuse. The amount of sh*te that those tellers are getting of f**king pr*cks is unbelievable. They aren't the ones causing the problems. The twats who are in management are getting paid the big bucks to screw people over. I'd love to see number 3 happen, might sort the system.

The next time anyone goes into a bank and starts spouting abuse at the teller for the queues and bailing out the banks, for one second realise that they aren't the cause of the banks mess. Most tellers are alrite, you are always gonna get a few that are pr*cks. They are the human front of the bank, putting up with the sh*te while the management are cosy in their offices with their fat salary and bonuses. The tellers are getting screwed as well, don't give them the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

5. I picked my career and now its gone bust, so now i hate bank tellers because they took a safer career

6. They force you into buying €400,00 mortgages, and when you don't pay on time you get penalised

FOOK THE BANKS

/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

When Sweden bailed out the banks, the bailed out banks were temporarily nationalized and the shareholders left with nothing. Which is the way it should be, if the bank is run into the ground the owners should not get their investment saved via a taxpayer bailout. That is how they run things in banana republics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Its a Bank Holiday?

The thread really should have ended here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

I hope you didn't drive into town and march up to the bank doors only to realise they were closed... waving to friends as you go shouting, 'isn't it great to get the bank holiday monday off, i'm just popping into the bank':D:D:D

On the subject of bank tellers getting abuse - that is very depressing but sadly believable - there is no shortage of idiots out there.

The staff should call a manager every time that happens and say here speak to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I was always thought bank tellers aren't on great pay.

Banks in Spain are open 10am - 2pm, Mon - Fri. And they are a nightmare to deal with, at least in my experience. I though BOI was bad...

Halifax and Postbank are open longer hours and Saturdays. Switch to one of them instead of complaining on here. If enough people switch they'll extend their opening hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Banks are screwing us..

news at 11

schween wrote: »
    . I though BOI was bad...

BOI are not bad at all (well my branch at least) they ring me every so often offering everything from hedge fund investment's to mortgages (i kid you not, just 2 weeks ago)

AIB on the other hand are diabolical i was disgusted with service (on a business account as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

Good friday isn't a bank holiday but it\s a holiday for banks..

There are two groups of people being funded by the taxpayer - the banks and the public service.

It's time that they were forced to face reality and at the very least reform their archaic working practices... how many bankers are on defined pension schemes - they'll all retire with a nice pot of money.

BTW - I didn't at any stage suggest we all call in and abuse staff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Agree with you accept about the tellers making big money. They get paid fcuk all and they have to deal with the general public.
    The Banks opening hours are a joke. But it sums up irish business attitude towards the consumer.
    Who in gods name can stroll out of work mon-fri 10-4 to go to the bank. It's just two fingers too employeer's and employee's. That your time is not important to you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Dob24, don't u get a lunch break at all!:p

Internet banking saves a lot of hassle!! Best thing I ever did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

They force you into buying €400,00 mortgages

Tie you up and put a gun to your head?? did they?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Dob24, don't u get a lunch break at all!:p

Internet banking saves a lot of hassle!! Best thing I ever did!

Yes I take lunch, 30 minutes and I use it to eat my lunch.
    I dont want to leave work to sort out my pension or a loan.
    Would it be to much to ask to stay open til 7 one night a week. The start of civilised bank as we know it.
    Banking 365 is great but you can only do basic transactions. (there phone lines close early as well, 8 I think so banking 365 is only a catch phrase)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

1)You can't say that all staff are useless because it is only poor attempt to generalise.maybe they get paid more because everything here is more expensive?
    2) I really love bank openinig hours over here 10 -4 is good enough to me
    3)I agree with you here.The senior management should be sacked and the
    right people within the bank should be promoted
    4)the longer they hold our money the bigger business for the bank it will become

I don't like the fact that we have to bail out the banks

but please do not blame the frontline people(bank tellers) only senior management for the mess we are in

The End

Dob74 wrote: »
    Would it be to much to ask to stay open til 7 one night a week. The start of civilised bank as we know it.
    Banking 365 is great but you can only do basic transactions. (there phone lines close early as well, 8 I think so banking 365 is only a catch phrase)

I'm with AIB so I wouldn't know about banking 365, but the AIB one is 24 hours. They are open till five on a Monday. Maybe change to the bank that open on a Saturday. There are more options than ever for banking, if you aren't happy then switch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I

They don't just work 10-4 even if that's the only time you see them

They have to "cash up" every evening so everything is reconciled.
    It's a 9-5 job.....like many office jobs

If they are open at 10 it's often that they need 9-10 for staff training

Cashiers gets payed very average wages, starting at around 22k last time I checked.
    Don't forget taking abuse from the public for what their senior management did!
    As another poster said, you'd be better off in Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Good Friday IS a Bank Holiday- it's NOT a Public Holiday

There are two groups of people being funded by the taxpayer - the banks and the public service.

It's time that they were forced to face reality and at the very least reform their archaic working practices... how many bankers are on defined pension schemes - they'll all retire with a nice pot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

SLUSK wrote: »
    When Sweden bailed out the banks, the bailed out banks were temporarily nationalized and the shareholders left with nothing. Which is the way it should be, if the bank is run into the ground the owners should not get their investment saved via a taxpayer bailout. That is how they run things in banana republics.

Unfortunately, the biggest investors in the banks are entities such as pension funds. If the shareholders got left with nothing then everyone gets burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Jesus, this is getting old. Yes, we've bailed out the banks. Unless you have some master plan, quit whinging about it. Its done, you, me, nothing we can do.

I agree about the opening hours, but its not just the banks, most services in this country are 9 to 5. Can't reach anyone before or after that, melts my head.

Shock, horror, staff in a country have different wages to that of another country. News for you, supermarket shelf stackers here are paid more than France, Spain, and USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

I bet you can't wait until Christmas Day before calling to the Bank again to find it closed so that you can go off on another rant !
    May I offer some advise ? - don't call in person to your Bank on a Bank holiday as it will be closed !
    AIB closed their DB scheme in 1996 and BOI closed their scheme in 2007 , staff who were part of the original DB schemes can expect to retire on 2/3rds of their final salary after 45 years service , fair enough I would have thought ?
    I think you'll find that there is rather more than 2 groups funded by the taxpayer - all our politicians for example and of course the entire social welfare system.

Jesus, this is getting old. Yes, we've bailed out the banks. Unless you have some master plan, quit whinging about it. Its done, you, me, nothing we can do.

we can nationalize them

that would teach other banks to be more careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Stop moaning!
    How are banks screwing you exactly?

• Advertisement

Stop moaning!
    How are banks screwing you exactly?

im not moaning

but the banks are screwing each and every taxpayer now that money was handed over to them

Advertisement