Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banks are screwing us..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Ah I was talking to the op.
    I know they are they're criminals, but they have money.Our money!
    I stopped using banks a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Well don't pay tax so.

:rolleyes: thats sort of very hard to do

especially the indirect taxes like VAT and duties on anything one buys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

deise blue wrote: »
    I bet you can't wait until Christmas Day before calling to the Bank again to find it closed so that you can go off on another rant !
    May I offer some advise ? - don't call in person to your Bank on a Bank holiday as it will be closed !
    AIB closed their DB scheme in 1996 and BOI closed their scheme in 2007

So the vast majority of bankers will get a nice tidy pension and lump sum whilst the taxpayer bails them out.

Ah the banks - they are almost like another arm of the public service -crap opening hours, poor service, nice pensions, strongly unionised, at least 30 days holidays, cheap loans (subsidised by the customer), never have to own up to their failings eg overcharging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    :rolleyes: thats sort of very hard to do

especially the indirect taxes like VAT and duties on anything one buys
    I was saying that out of frustration and your ninja edit caught me out .
    Not fair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

soden12 wrote: »
    So the vast majority of bankers will get a nice tidy pension and lump sum whilst the taxpayer bails them out.

Ah the banks - they are almost like another arm of the public service -crap opening hours, poor service, nice pensions, strongly unionised, at least 30 days holidays, cheap loans (subsidised by the customer), never have to own up to their failings eg overcharging.
    Wrong again !
    After 45 years staff retire on 2/3rds their final salary - no lump sum is payable in addition to that pension.
    The pension is funded by staff and employer contributions , not from taxpayers money.
    Staff are entitled to 30 days leave after 30 years , junior staff get 20 days - you really should check your facts !
    Yes they are heavily unionised, thank God , hence the terms and conditions they enjoy.
    Cheap loans are a thing of the past since the introduction of benefit in kind tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Could I just say that the Banks aren't screwing us, the government are. The banks are simply taking the money offered and saying nowt about it, what else would you expect a large company with shareholders to do - say "Ah jeebs lads, no I couldn't take that money off you, it just wouldn't be cricket, hang on to there and I'll ask the shareholders instead"

I'm getting wound with all the constant re-hashing of the same old issues - the banks, the expenses, NAMA, the public sector. Very little constructive is being added and we are just talking ourselves into misery. This being said, a thread being started to complain that a bank is shut on a bank holiday just takes the mick.

Where would we draw the line, if your employer made you work christmes day would this be ok? Give the staff their day off. If you are that sick of the bank, go to the credit union, close your Bank account, snip the credit card, clear the loan and live happily in the knowledge that you have hit them in the pocket.

If you can't do this because you need a loan/mortgage/credit card/means of transferring funds etc then just acknowledge the fact that banks are integral to our lives and instead of whinging about the 'millionaire cashiers' and the 'tax payer funded pension' come up with an alternative.

Please and thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The banks and the goverment are screwing us and if they were'nt sure a lot of us would get no sex at all.

At this stage we are so used to the abuse that we would miss it if they ever bothered to desist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the last time i was in N.Y. some banks had billboards advertising 7 day opening, oh yeah i forgot they are heavily unionised over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

old boy wrote: »
    the last time i was in N.Y. some banks had billboards advertising 7 day opening, oh yeah i forgot they are heavily unionised over here

Have you seen how much yanks pay in bank fees? It's obscene.

We are very lucky in comaprison.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Move bank if you are not happy!
    www.halifax.ie
    Branches open on Saturdays!
    Mon - Fri: 9am - 5pm, Sat: 9am - 12pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

It's great that bankers in their cushy jobs with cheap pensions, cheap loans, payrises and short working hours can cause such a cockup as has happened twice with BOI stealing peoples money by double-charging them.

I wonder how many bankers have had been discplined over this "error".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If by cheap pensions you mean an attractive defined benefit scheme well that is something that was agreed between management and the unions years ago.
    Branch staff work 9-5 so even if you can only see them between 10-4 they are still there. When a bank closes at 4 they still have to settle everything and "cash up". If they were opened until 5 they'd be there until 6. Boo hoo says you of course.

And as for cheap loans, you pay benefit in kind tax on the difference in rate of interest you are getting. So often it's not even the best deal at all.
    When I was in AIB they was a staff rate for mortgages which was good but BIK tax wiped out any advantage for an applicant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I wanted to go lodge a few bob today but couldn't because the bloody bank was closed.

We've bailed them out (just like we're still paying for bailing out AIB in the 80s) and yet:

1. Their useless staff are getting a payrise even though many people are suffering paycuts and job losses - in fact I heard somewhere that the average Irish bank teller (with his 10-4 opening hours) is paid more than tellers in France , Germany and Spain.

You do realise the ppl on teller usually start at 8.30 and finish around 5.30 and it is quite a difficult job - not swanning in and out at 10 and 4. If you don't balance up in the evening you are expected to stay on until you do balance. Picking on tellers is not on.
    2. They still have useless opening hours even though many other European banks open for normal hours and some even open on Saturdays.

There are so many options open to people these days that a visit to the Bank is a very occasional event. Online banking is open 24/7.
    3. Despite the losses and the bailouts the same old folk still run them - so much for a clearout - when Sweden bailed out the banks they purged the management.

Agree that some of the big boys should have been removed much quicker. But that's Ireland for ya.
    4. They still can't manage to transfer money instantly - they end up holding our money..

?? Any time I transfer money it's instantaneous.

Advertisement