Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the diff between 32 and 64 bit Win 7

• 26-10-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭

About to buy and install Win 7 on Lenovo t61 laptop, whats the diff between 32 and 64 bit , which ver best for me (I'm a home user)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

As untechnical as i can make it...

the 'bit' referred to is the memory bit size.
    Each 'chunk' of memory in a 32bit os can hold 32 bits of info where as on a 64bit can hold 64. The net effect is the the computer has to do less work to do the same thing - simply because it can remember more at once.

It will make little difference to the home user until 64bit versions of applications like Office become available.

64bit has been supported by windows xp for about 5years now and unix for about 10....or more

To answer your question...In my opinion it makes very little difference to the home user but a major difference to the pro user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

64-bit requires 64-bit processor. Windows 7 64-bit minimum memory requirement is 1GB i think. Not much differences as far as I know except 32-bit version (be it XP, Vista or 7) can only utilise up to 3G of memory. With 64-bit you can do more, useful if your applications make full use of memory eg. Photoshop, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Id go with the 64bit as time pushes on more and more applications are available to take advantage of 64bit so , it wont be a disadvantage for you to have it right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

True enough Outkast but it will probably be time to replace the laptop by the time useful apps for the home user are available in 64bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

egan007 wrote: »
    True enough Outkast but it will probably be time to replace the laptop by the time useful apps for the home user are available in 64bit
    Sure theres no price difference so he might as well just go 64bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

k123456 wrote: »
    About to buy and install Win 7 on Lenovo t61 laptop, whats the diff between 32 and 64 bit , which ver best for me (I'm a home user)
    32-bit is the 'safer' option, especially just for a regular home user. Its not like you're going to be using huge amounts of ram or doing anything that will benefit massively from 64-bit. Actually 32-bit will boot a little faster and have a smaller memory footprint. It'll also be a little more 'compatible' in terms of available drivers etc.

The advantages of 64-bit really start to kick in for power users, or enthusiasts. And moving forward, with 4GB+ ram becoming common, 64-bit is the way to go. 64-bit apps can be written to take full advantage and offer improved performance. But on the flip side, theres still plenty of apps not available in 64-bit, and running 32-bit versions on a 64-bit OS will give you a (admittedly tiny) performance hit.

Advertisement