Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contacting Radio Stations

• 26-10-2009 1:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭

Dont know if this has been asked already.

Why do some radio stations have text numbers that cost above the average of a normal text to contact them and the same with Telephone numbers. Why the need for all these 1890 numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Revenue generation, I would imagine.

That's why I often wonder what motivates some people to text in completely pointless messages to stations. More money than sense!

You could always send an email?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Amz wrote: »
    Revenue generation, I would imagine.

That's why I often wonder what motivates some people to text in completely pointless messages to stations. More money than sense!

You could always send an email?

You could be right.

Thankfully i listen mostly to WLR and they charge a normal price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Because for the most part, radio stations have given up being "licensed broadcasting services" and are now purely commercial operations, completely losing sight of what made them interesting and compulsive listening in the first place.

Many view requests and community input as a nuisance, rather than the lifeblood of the station, and even those that grudgingly accept it as part of the requirements of being "local" want to make money out of it, despite the fact that most of the output of talk shows is listener and opinion generated.

So basically, you're being charged for (a) giving them content (b) getting in touch so that (c) they can make more money selling the ads that you'll listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The majority of radio stations welcome and encourage interaction with their audience and SMS has made it easier for listeners to do so. In the past you would have had to send a post card (55c to the post office or the cost of 5 text messages) or phone the station (cost of a phone call being more than a text message).

With some exceptions, most phone operators are not keen on high volumes of text messages going across a long code e.g. 08X XXX XXXX and pushing stations towards short codes e.g. 5XXXX. This numbers have direct "binds" into the operators, allowing higher volumes of messages and also allow sophisticated message management e.g. voting, keywords, competitions etc.

However, this technology comes at a cost and one way to defray the cost of the shortcode and software is to charge a higher tariff. Some stations charge 30c per text though I am not aware of stations charging higher unless for a competition.

Also for many people texting a radio station using a standard number can be free. This means that a radio station can be bombarded with messages. Charging a premium means that people will be a little more focused on what they are sending and the message is also equally valued when received. It would be very harsh to suggest that it is just a money making move by various stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Condoms

Most DJ's have very litle to say, boring mundane lives I suspect so to make the show a little interesting they get the listener to text in or call in to simply fill air time,,,its a tried and tested old old trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Country Mix charge 30cent - but it is an 087 number. They do regularly state that it costs 30 cent but I still think using an ordinary 087 number is a little cheeky ( I was caught out thinking it was a free text until I copped afterwards) Anyway, revenue generating nothing else - and they have the cheek to say "send us your traffic reports" - and charge you for the privilege!

How do they charge you 30 cent for texting an 087 number anyway i.e. the mechanism involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Condoms wrote: »
    Most DJ's have very litle to say

IMO there are not enough DJ's on daytime radio!

Too many "presenters" with an awful lot of BULLSH1t to spout - eg 2FM - TODAY FM - NEWS TALK, most of them are on between 09:00 -12:00.

Country Mix charge 30cent - but it is an 087 number. They do regularly state that it costs 30 cent but I still think using an ordinary 087 number is a little cheeky ( I was caught out thinking it was a free text until I copped afterwards) Anyway, revenue generating nothing else - and they have the cheek to say "send us your traffic reports" - and charge you for the privilege!

How do they charge you 30 cent for texting an 087 number anyway i.e. the mechanism involved?

Do you receive a text message in reply to the text to the 087 number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

well.....lets take a step back here.

1890 numbers allow anyone in the country to call the number for the price of a local call. Obviously this is good for the nationals, who may be based in Dublin but want listeners in Galway to pay the same for calling them as listeners in Dublin.

Short Code SMS numbers are not necessarily premium numbers. 51551 - Liveline- is a standard price, as are all the RTE numbers except those obviously premium numbers, like the Mooneys Money number. Short codes are used by operators in their SMSC (short message service center) to route messages to specific applications. For example, when they say "type COMP then your answer then your name" - it's probably because there is an application reading the entries, or at list filtering them into a different pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

BrianD wrote: »
    Do you receive a text message in reply to the text to the 087 number?

Yes. So that must be something to do with how they charge the 30 cent? Maybe if you don't open the received text but delete it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If there is a charge they it will be generated once it reachs your phone irrespective of whether you open it or not or just delete it. It should have a number indicating where it originates from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

tbh wrote: »
    well.....lets take a step back here.

1890 numbers allow anyone in the country to call the number for the price of a local call. Obviously this is good for the nationals, who may be based in Dublin but want listeners in Galway to pay the same for calling them as listeners in Dublin.

Short Code SMS numbers are not necessarily premium numbers. 51551 - Liveline- is a standard price, as are all the RTE numbers except those obviously premium numbers, like the Mooneys Money number. Short codes are used by operators in their SMSC (short message service center) to route messages to specific applications. For example, when they say "type COMP then your answer then your name" - it's probably because there is an application reading the entries, or at list filtering them into a different pile.
    AIUI the second digit in a short code text number is the indicator as to how much the text is.
    50*** is a free text,
    51*** is a standard price text,
    53*** has a slight increase (30cent)
    57*** is the premium number and will cost €1 or more.

Advertisement