Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Fuel Fire Advice

Options
  • 26-10-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

At present my wife and I are living in a Super warm timber frame home. There had been a gas fire in the sitting room, but I recently got that ripped out and the gas capped off as we want a solid fuel fire installed. The interior seems to be a solid mass concrete structure not block the dimensions are touching 23.25" side to side and roughly just over 15" back to front. As its such a small space to work with I want to maximise the fire size as big as I can. Would I be best going for a fireback or firebricks? Any advice on this grealty appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I would say youd be better off going with a solid fuel stove , much more efficient than an open fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Please see below I have taken some pics of the opening in the fireplace where the gas fire was. We are keeping the rest of the fire surround so firesotve is out of the question as we got the room redecorated and a real fire is in the keeping with the current decor. If anyone as gone down this route of ripping out a gas fire and putting in a real fire was just wondering which is th better option as we dont want to loose too much space and maximise what we have so dont know if fireback or firebricks are the best opition so every bit of helpful advice on this greatly appreciated. Also the hole where the gas pipe was going into the fire ope cant i plug this up with fire cement?

Thanks again.

mix078.jpg

mix084.jpg

mix085.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In general recomendations are to move away from open fires completly.. If you don't want a stove what about one of the stove front inserts ??
    you may get one to fit into your existing opening and avoid the ineffencicy of the open fire..

http://www.chaseheating.co.uk/esse_300_multi_fuel_stove.asp

esse_300_multi_fuel_med.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Thanks for the replies guys but I want a proper old fashioned open fire, not a stove or inset just a simple old open fire, so firebricks or fireback which would give the most size to work with for space.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You'll loose up to 90% of the heat from an open fire up the chimney.

Look at a modern stove with reburn technology or a pellet stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get a stove/insert with big panoramic glass doors, you get to see a real fire just as much as if it were an open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd have to agree with other posters. A stove is the way to go.

I've two open fireplaces and a stove. The heat return from the stove for considerably less fuel is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Stove trust me they will hop you out of it for very little fuel

Advertisement