Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact fellow students

Options
  • 26-10-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what would be the best way to keep in touch with one's fellow student's in one's year and course via email? I think we need to interact with each other more as I'm sure some of us would benefit enormously from hearing from other students with similar issues/problems. I'm referring to specific issue with our common degree of course rather than personal issues. I'm just thinking about email correspondence and outside of what ucd listserv offers. Or maybe a facebook account? Im interested in any ideas as I think a lot of people could do with some help. I don't think blackboard is suitable for this. So any ideas guys? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

aliceIW wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what would be the best way to keep in touch with one's fellow student's in one's year and course via email? I think we need to interact with each other more as I'm sure some of us would benefit enormously from hearing from other students with similar issues/problems. I'm referring to specific issue with our common degree of course rather than personal issues. I'm just thinking about email correspondence and outside of what ucd listserv offers. Or maybe a facebook account? Im interested in any ideas as I think a lot of people could do with some help. I don't think blackboard is suitable for this. So any ideas guys? Cheers.

Are you even a student? Do you actually attend college? "one's fellow students" "we need to interact with each other more" "our common degree of course" "email correspondance"
    Explain yourself . . . provide some context to your OP

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

yeh we need some context...although blackboard does have a discussion forum for this, but i've never heard of anyone using it (except in Point of Law)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Unless BB has changed, there is a way to e-mail one, some or all of your classmates in each module or in your overall degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 aliceIW

Are you even a student? Do you actually attend college? "one's fellow students" "we need to interact with each other more" "our common degree of course" "email correspondance"
    Explain yourself . . . provide some context to your OP

I thought that boards.ie was a public open discussion forum where one was free to ask whatever general question one might have. Although I'm new to boards.ie but not to discussion forums I never anticipated such an aggressive response to such an innocuous question. I interpret your reply as "so who wants to know and why should I tell you and who are you anyway". So listen sunshine, do a little bit of growing up, realize you don't own anything around here and any questions in posts you deem unworthy of a helpful response just pass it by and keep you mouth shut. You may backtrack in a reply here if you like but I certainly won't be interested in reading it. I hope this kind of attitude is not something I will encounter regularly here in the UCD section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I thought that boards.ie was a public open discussion forum where one was free to ask whatever general question one might have. Although I'm new to boards.ie but not to discussion forums I never anticipated such an aggressive response to such an innocuous question. I interpret your reply as "so who wants to know and why should I tell you and who are you anyway". So listen sunshine, do a little bit of growing up, realize you don't own anything around here and any questions in posts you deem unworthy of a helpful response just pass it by and keep you mouth shut. You may backtrack in a reply here if you like but I certainly won't be interested in reading it. I hope this kind of attitude is not something I will encounter regularly here in the UCD section.

No offence, but you sound like you're taking the mickey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You also sound like someone trying to send a few advertisements for free through connect.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Unless BB has changed, there is a way to e-mail one, some or all of your classmates in each module or in your overall degree

Yes thanks, but lecturers and teaching assistant's emails usually appear on these lists so they are not exactly private.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You also sound like someone trying to send a few advertisements for free through connect.

Again, it was a general question and I won't be bullied into revealing who I am or what school I am in. I goes without saying I am a student at UCD.

Again, I interpret this attitude in responses as "well we won't tell you anything about that , how do we know you don't just want to send out hate mail to everyone, or maybe your an ax-murderer, so we must insist you tell us who you are and what are you up to or WE won't tell you anything at all so there (sticks out tongue)"

Meh

Notorious wrote: »
    No offence, but you sound like you're taking the mickey.

I'm beginning to think that the problems here is just that you are all very young, and unhealthily suspicious! By the way I'm going to get what I want one way or the other.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Oh is that what they sound like. I can't believe my devilish cunning plan has been thwarted so easily.

Oh is that what they sound like. I can't believe my devilish cunning plan has been thwarted so easily.

Try face to face communication, get their email simple as that. If you start sending a general email to the class the vast majority wont reply.

On another note try not veiling your posts like some sort of spammer, there has been many threads similar to this on here before.

Yeh this isn't the type of attitude a n00b should have towards boards.ie

We do like to help, but if you're being bossy in your first 6 posts (all of which are on your own thread, an account specifically set-up for this?) ...then you should expect the comments you are receiving.

The reason why students don't email eachother is because, if they have a problem, they ask them face-to-face or go to their teacher. Believe me, if this was going to work it'd be here long before this thread and your account were created.

The Agogo wrote: »
    Yeh this isn't the type of attitude a n00b should have towards boards.ie

We do like to help, but if you're being bossy in your first 6 posts (all of which are on your own thread, an account specifically set-up for this?) ...then you should expect the comments you are receiving.

The reason why students don't email eachother is because, if they have a problem, they ask them face-to-face or go to their teacher. Believe me, if this was going to work it'd be here long before this thread and your account were created.

+1

You are basically suggesting that you don't personally know anyone in your course so want to send a mass email around in the hope of getting to know people.
    If you were in fact a student in a course in UCD and you were so desperate for more interaction with people in your course, you could go up and talk to the people in your class, gather their emails and set up your own little Facebook group e.g. Philosophy 2nd year.
    Your OP reeks of lies, trolling and spam

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

By the way I'm going to get what I want one way or the other.

Woah there horsey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Are you for cereal? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

dyl10 wrote: »
    Are you for cereal? :eek:

OP seems Super Cereal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

OP seems Super Cereal :D

Maybe we should let OP have their way if they're that cereal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

This thread has made me want Frosties now.

good reaction to a first thread i'd say

• Advertisement

The Agogo wrote: »
    good reaction to a first thread i'd say

A baptism of fire, it's what we do best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yes thanks, but lecturers and teaching assistant's emails usually appear on these lists so they are not exactly private.

Just select who you want to contact, or deselect those who you don't want to contact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

aliceIW wrote:
    OP is a tad...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Blackboard method for sending email to a whole class at a time has been abused in the past, with people using others' accounts to send out abusive messages. SO: yes, we are suspicious about someone wanting to send bulk email to whole classes without their permission, and no, it's not about age.

I can definitely advise you that it's no way to sell anything these days, not even if it's yourself you're "selling" to your "fellow students". You just registered the account today, and crash in here demanding information, mouthing off to people who have been on this forum (and at UCD) for years? Good luck with that.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I don't the time or inclination to reply to every single reply as this is quite boring now but I will say one or two things on the points that were made.

Firstly I have been accused of being bossy and demanding in my first ever posts here. I read back my OP and in no way whatsoever could it be described in the way it has so I completely reject these accusations and consider them a personal attack. My subsequent posts were certainly written in a different tone but these were responses to what I considered totally unfair personal and unhelpful attack on me bar one or two responses who did seem to want to give me a least some kind of a helpful answer. In no way do these subsequent response generally represent my attitude or personal character. The spurious conjectures as to my motives are nothing short of laughable as is the idea that I know nobody as is the idea that I need permission to send out an email unsolicited - I'm still cracking up about that one. I don't ever remember giving anyone permission to send me an email.

From looking at the total number of posts from all the respondents to my OP, all going into the hundred and thousands it reeks here of cliquism and I have quite clearly trod on the toes of the UCD boards.ie mafia. Boy am I glad I chose not to provide more 'context'. I'm certain now I wouldn't have gotten any more helpful replies had I stated what school I was in.

On the OP, I have to say someone suggested I go around and manually collect peoples emails? I can't imagine how anyone would think that that would be a practical idea and also that I wouldn't have considered that myself as a last resort. Someone else stated that "it just simply isn't done because students talk to each other face to face when they have a problem". Having been in a university before where students would collaborate on web systems from their own homes late into the night I find the idea of doing the same only face to face somewhere date. I don't think the answer to plagiarism is to cut off the communication ties between students just as the answer to road deaths is not to ban driving.

So guys I leave you all now with a most sour taste in my mouth from my first experience of what you get here in the UCD boards sections and I wish you many a happy day deluding yourselves that you are people of some importance. And the jokes weren't that funny either.

Oh and RandolphEsq I hear on the grapevine that NBC are considering a remake of the hit 1970s TV series "Columbo". Perhaps you would would consider auditioning for the leading role. It's pure fiction I think you'd be good at it.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Horrid flashback: that was me 10 years ago. I grew out of it. I think. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

So guys I leave you all now with a most sour taste in my mouth from my first experience of what you get here in the UCD boards section...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

aliceIW wrote:
    I have quite clearly trod on the toes of the UCD boards.ie mafia.

I take it as a compliment, I was told by Italians from Naples and Sicily that I would make a good Mafioso!:D

• Advertisement

Boy am I glad I chose not to provide more 'context'. I'm certain now I wouldn't have gotten any more helpful replies had I stated what school I was in.

Actually that's all it would have taken. Just say what course you are studying and what year you are in. Someone on here is most likely in the same course and year as you so could relate

Oh and RandolphEsq I hear on the grapevine that NBC are considering a remake of the hit 1970s TV series "Columbo". Perhaps you would would consider auditioning for the leading role. It's pure fiction I think you'd be good at it.

Sweet!

Advertisement