Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedo Online Shop Swimwear Cost in EURO

• 26-10-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭

I'm on the lookout for some maternity swimwear - so naturally did a Google search, and found an online Speedo store.

So, I was having a look at their range, and found swimwear for 30GBP - so I looked at their delivery information, and it said that they do deliver to Ireland, but that you needed to use their INTERNATIONAL store. So, I went to the exact same swimwear on their INTERNATIONAL site, which is priced in EURO - I was shocked to see the same swimwear was DOUBLE the price of the UK site :eek:

I checked the current FX rates for GBP against EURO, and 30GBP amounts to approx. 32 EURO.
    Now if you include things like Irish VAT, etc the most I would have expected to pay in EURO was 40.... not 62!!! :mad: (And no, this price doesn't include shipping charges)
    I've emailed them to see what excuse they have for the huge markup in price... but this sort of cost is just plain ridiculous!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

some companies take us for a ride but that's fairly outrageous, give 'em hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

soc wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for some maternity swimwear - so naturally did a Google search, and found an online Speedo store.

So, I was having a look at their range, and found swimwear for 30GBP - so I looked at their delivery information, and it said that they do deliver to Ireland, but that you needed to use their INTERNATIONAL store. So, I went to the exact same swimwear on their INTERNATIONAL site, which is priced in EURO - I was shocked to see the same swimwear was DOUBLE the price of the UK site :eek:

I checked the current FX rates for GBP against EURO, and 30GBP amounts to approx. 32 EURO.
    Now if you include things like Irish VAT, etc the most I would have expected to pay in EURO was 40.... not 62!!! :mad: (And no, this price doesn't include shipping charges)
    I've emailed them to see what excuse they have for the huge markup in price... but this sort of cost is just plain ridiculous!

Theres a way around that. Do you have a relative/friend living in Britain? If so, ask them if its ok to get it posted to their address and whether they can then post it to your irish address.

That way, you can still order it from the speedo UK store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The last place I usually look for stuff is on the manufacturers websites, they are usually far more expensive than other sites as they almost always use the offical RRP.

Have another look on google, http://www.google.com/search?complete=1&hl=en&source=hp&q=women%27s+grace+maternity+swimsuit&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g-m1

One site had it for €27.50 and might have a bigger range with other brands.
    http://www.simplyswim.com/products/Speedo/GraceMaternity1Piece.aspx

Manufacturers like speedo have to keep their agents happy, they match prices to suit local prices in local markets, they would be idiots to have the same RRP in a country where people are willing to pay a lot more. All major brands do this, a jeans shop in Ireland is probably paying more wholesale for levis or ipods than a shop sells them for in the US. Levis & apple would put blocks on agents trying to import and avoid the increased wholesale cost. So it would be unfair if speedo were charging lifestyle sports €40 wholesale when they customers could buy from the UK for £30.

BUT many outlets in the UK will gladly sell to here, just like you can get levis sent from the US which are cheaper even with the huge postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wouldn't cost a cent if everyone went swimming in the nip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Thanks for the advise... shame I didn't see that SimplySwim website earlier! I ended up buying a pair from a shop here, that had a 'sale'... Not as cheap as that website, but significantly cheaper than what they were at 'full price'. Unfortunately time was ticking by, and I couldn't afford to wait any longer for a swimsuit!

As for swimming in the nip... I don't think the local swimming pool staff would approve of that 'cost-saving' approach - but interesting suggestion nonetheless :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement