Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Vista the worst OS in history?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Nope, I enjoy partaking of a right click.

Um, you're doing exactly what I didnt recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I've had lots of vista problems - particularly on one dell laptop. I've had to format it 3 times because of errors during vista's self-updates. And when the updates do install correctly, they take a feckin AGE.

It has been running grand for the last few months though.

Anyone else suffer these problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems like theres lots of random problems. I had loads of problems with files rights, ownership etc on external and network drives. Couldn't get to the bottom of it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

mikkael wrote: »
    Um, NT4 anyone?
    What was wrong with it to put it on your "worst" list of one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BostonB wrote: »
    Seems like theres lots of random problems. I had loads of problems with files rights, ownership etc on external and network drives. Couldn't get to the bottom of it at all.

Best done through the command line in Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nope, I enjoy partaking of a right click.
    Oh hey, looks like misinformation isn't just the domain of Windows. Thats good to know.

Oh hey, looks like misinformation isn't just the domain of Windows. Thats good to know.

Should it not be something other then windows? Anyway I don't like the MAC OSX. I think after moving onto a common pc platform its clearly visible that it runs no faster then any current Windows pc of the same spec.

And after using a few very high powered MAC pros recently(close to 16k ordered off apple) I can honestly say that they are about 14k too much.

And the famed lack of MAC's crashing, after removing the common causes of out crashes which are universal, bad coding on dodgy custom apps and hardware I would say out Windows pc's come out the better. I'm sick to death of that spinning wheel.

Their app's which were the selling point are nearly all translated across to Windows now or have equivilant programs available on Windows pc's.

And to top it all off. ATM there no nothing besides apple stopping you from buying similar hard-ware to a Mac and installing OSX. And the reason for this. A huge mark-up on average hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I've had lots of vista problems - particularly on one dell laptop. I've had to format it 3 times because of errors during vista's self-updates. And when the updates do install correctly, they take a feckin AGE.

It has been running grand for the last few months though.

Anyone else suffer these problems?
    Nope!

Sounds hardware/driver related. Youve got it pegged down to this one laptop. Ive had an HP and while I have my own problems with it, none of them have been update related.

Best done through the command line in Vista.

Will the rest of that explanation be along soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Windows ME.
    Oh yeash, Win 7 too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

you should never have fed that troll :-)

Windows ME.

Why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dlofnep wrote: »
    Vista appears stable, but my biggest qualm with it is the amount of resources it uses.
    Minimum spec for windows 95 was 386 with 4MB RAM

16 minutes to boot.

blame marketing for this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jonathan wrote: »
    I don't remember many people complaining about Windows Server 2008. Funny how that shares about 90% of its code base with Vista.
    But it didn't share the GUI

look up windows 2008 workstation

it all went down hill since 3.1
    3.51 was the biz

BostonB wrote: »
    Will the rest of that explanation be along soon?

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=116

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Windows 7 seems worse. It doesn't even have Stereo Mix in recording devices.
    I never had a problem with vista.

Thanks. Not sure if I tried that. Bit of a bug that if that works.

Someone made app from the script to make it easier to use.
    http://www.cynosurex.com/Software/TakeControl/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

sceptre wrote: »
    What was wrong with it to put it on your "worst" list of one?
    NT4 wasn't bad as a business OS, but was complete crap if you attempted to use it for general home use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Blowfish wrote: »
    NT4 wasn't bad as a business OS, but was complete crap if you attempted to use it for general home use.

Bit obvious really. That's like saying NT4 server wasn't bad as a server but was complete crap if you attempted to use it on a desktop.

At that time MS sold 3 OSes.

NT4 Server
    NT4 Workstation - Their business OS.
    Windows 95 - For general home use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Bit obvious really. That's like saying NT4 server wasn't bad as a server but was complete crap if you attempted to use it on a desktop.

At that time MS sold 3 OSes.

NT4 Server
    NT4 Workstation - Their business OS.
    Windows 95 - For general home use.
    True, but when you compare it to Win 2000 or XP Pro which were both business versions too, there was a world of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Overheal wrote: »
    XP Prelaunch: "The best thing since the Byte!"

XP Post-Launch: "OMFG RUN AWAY Im installing 98 again"

XP SP3: "This may be the most awesome OS ever. Marry me."

Its true like all things it takes time for them to work out the tweeks

Me had to have been the worst ever

Advertisement