Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback about Soccer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And calling Pat Dolan 'fat' is a lot different to referring to Man United fans as 'Munichs'.......or is it? Some people don't think so.

Finding a line is pretty much impossible.

How is saying Pat Dolan should have brought sandwitches with him to setanta amid there administration anywhere in the region of personal abuse you gave me such as "You better watch your back" You cannot dispute that, its clear as day

Pat Dolan is overweight and the majority of irish soccer fans depise him

I agree theres a line between things that shouldnt be crossed, but the line you lot are taking is far far too strict

Im not gona post anymore in this thread directly on that comment which i made because your clutching at straws and i would like to see the comments of some of the other posters

Dont think i got a problem with you or something, i dont hold grudges and im not out to get you, or any other soccer mod, i just think the forum could be changed for the better in a good few ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Calling Pat Dolan "Fat" should only be personal abuse if it is made to Pat Dolan. What right have I to take offense on his behalf?
    So, a low percentage of people on the Forum care about Dolan, but look what would happen if you went into the Liverpool Thread with a "Fat Spanish Waiter" comment, or into the Utd thread with a "Ole Whisky Nose" comment.

People do take offence, and it starts flamewars, and people get banned.

Also, there really is no need for name calling. As I said earlier, it's playground stuff.

Calling Man U fans "Munichs" (do people do that?) is not personal abuse in any context that I can imagine. This being taken as offensive is typical of the precious mindset I abhor.

Yes, some fans of other clubs call Man United fans "Munichs". It's fairly distasteful, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Des wrote: »
    Also, there really is no need for name calling. As I said earlier, it's playground stuff.

Oh, I agree, but there's still no good reason why I should get upset if you call, say, David O'Leary, a (expletive). There is need for maturity all-round. Let's face it, the forum is being bleached white, drained of its' blood, because some cannot take a ribbing.

Distasteful, sure, but the only ones entitled to be offended at The Munich jibe are those affected by it, and there's bugger all of them hereabouts.

IMO.

Oh, I agree, but there's still no good reason why I should get upset if you call, say, David O'Leary, a (expletive). There is need for maturity all-round.
    I can see that side of it, but I don't actually want to read that kind of drivel either, it doesn't offend me, but I'd still rather not read it.

If I wanted to read people referred to as Fat Frank etc, I'd be off on other lower-brow forums.
    Let's face it, the forum is being bleached white, drained of its' blood, because some cannot take a ribbing.
    Like my nice little in-thread warning this morning.

Jaysis. I'm lucky it wasn't a yellow :pac:
    Distasteful, sure, but the only ones entitled to be offended at The Munich jibe are those affected by it, and there's bugger all of them hereabouts.

IMO.
    And again, I'd like to think we have a better class of person posting here than someone who would post such an offensive term.

It's a part of the history if a club that many people follow.

Same as if someone started posting Hillsborough-related jokes or "banter". There's no place for it. IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And calling Pat Dolan 'fat' is a lot different to referring to Man United fans as 'Munichs'.......or is it? Some people don't think so.

Finding a line is pretty much impossible.

what are you on? no its not. calling pat dolan fat and calling utd fans 'munichs' are two completely separate things. those 'some people' you are referring to are just a big pile of wrong. its not an opinion, they are just f**king wrong. if thats the problem the soccer mods are facing and thats the reason the new yellow card system is in place then frankly, that is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Have a look <snip>., It is my feeling that they got away with it as they as mods, not <snip> mods.
    <sniped>

manutd wrote: »
    Have a look here, the same hepped to MagicMarker on Saturday and he got a 1 week ban., It is my feeling that they got away with it as they as mods, not soccer mods. I feel this is wrong and will fight it, until the posts are either removed or the posts given a 1 week ban as stated below.

lol

It was clearly a joke.

Badly timed maybe, but by christ, if people start to get banned for trying to inject a bit of humour into procedings then I want no part of the forum.

Also, you've said you'll fight it. Where, exactly?

The mod has said there will be nothing further done, and an Admin has agreed.

Stop trying to get me banned please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'm actually a HMod and believe me that means absolutely nothing outside the hosted forum I moderate.

I'm actually mocked by real mods quite a lot, with my little baby mod status.

Don't get me started on Admins, man they would nuke me in a second. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ah, zero tolerance. For some. Love it.

The line I like from that helpdesk thread is this:

"It was ill advised given the current climate on boards"

A climate created by the mods of the forum.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Ah, zero tolerance. For some. Love it.

But I wasn't "back seat modding", I didn't even report the post, there was nothing to report.

There was nothing to punish in any of them posts.

If you think there was, then there's something up with you.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to defend my post on here, as this is feedback for the forum, not about specific cases either mine, or MagicMarkers.

You want feedback well maybe we did get away with something that MagicMarker didn't but it is very easy to say why.

Me and Des know each other, the mods know both of us as both individual posters, and seen us interact together on the site. They know when we are joker. They know we were joking, they knew I would know Des was joking, they knew he would know I was joking.

Thats what happens when the mods are part of the community they get to know the posters, and they get to know how to let them interact.

Now they are never going to know everyone, they may misunderstand an intended joke every now and again, and I have gotten infractions before when I thought it would be clear I was joking.

But Jesus if posters can not get to know each other, and get to have bit of friendly banter with them, then this what kind of site are we heading to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

7 day bans for both of you Des. Sorry.

I've just consulted the copy of the charter i've printed out and now keep in this nice binder.

I'm amused that you actually replied to that. Don't worry i'm not trying to get you banned. Just taking things to their natural conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Called Alex Ferguson "Slur" today and got banned for a week.

Is the soccer mod a facist regime ? Ok, fair enough its a little uncalled for but a ban ? = Nonsense.

Freedom of speech is a thing of the past. We all know how Ferguson has sued boards.ie in the past for slander ....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

BolBill, how about proposing some alternative solution to the Soccer forum moderation instead of raking over stuff that we already know is happening under the current rules? :)

BolBill wrote: »
    Why did you feel the need to call him "Slur"?

Are you thirteen?

Are you in a playground?

You got banned because you got a yellow card.

Did you not read this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708215

Is the soccer mod a facist regime ?

Godwin

Freedom of speech is a thing of the past.
    There was never FoS on Boards.ie. Ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Whats this all about, the Soccer forum is grand. People are just pissed off because they got banned out of there own stupidity or there is people who don't agree with them on the forum so they think these people are trolls, they react to the people and get infracted.

Lets ban all discussions on everything.

Mods are doing a good job. We need a Chelsea mod though :)

Des wrote: »
    lol

It was clearly a joke.

Badly timed maybe, but by christ, if people start to get banned for trying to inject a bit of humour into procedings then I want no part of the forum.

Also, you've said you'll fight it. Where, exactly?

The mod has said there will be nothing further done, and an Admin has agreed.

Stop trying to get me banned please.

Yet me make myself clear on this, i am not trying to get you banned, but it is unfair that one user gets benned and you didn't.

Is the soccer mod a facist regime ? Ok, fair enough its a little uncalled for but a ban ? = Nonsense.

Freedom of speech is a thing of the past. We all know how Ferguson has sued boards.ie in the past for slander ....

Well it is a yellow card and it is a 7 day ban.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708215

But the thing is this, and it's pretty big.

I wasn't back seat modding. :)

<snip>

Well, i am going no-where with this, so i will stop. I feel you should be banned, but anyway you got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'll risk sticking my dead above the parapet and exposing myself to more criticism here, because it is unfair on Des and alan to have to defend themselves on this thread when the thread is about moderation of the forum.

Neither of the lads are soccer mods and neither deserve to be grilled.

I made the call on whether their posts amounted to back-seat modding. None of the other soccer mods have questioned my decision, and an Admin has reviewed it and judged it fair.

The exchange was clearly two friends having a laugh with each other...I might be a dirty fascist power hungry Nazi moderator, but I am not devoid of a sense of humour, and can recognise when an exchange such as this does no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

manutd wrote: »
    Well it seems clear from the above that you have beening back seat modding.

Well, i am going no-where with this, so i will stop. I feel you should be banned, but anyway you got away with it.

I'd agree with the mod here. I read that thread this morning after this one and laughed. You can tell it was humour and no post was reported. That's a big difference. I even thought reckless was over reacting when he gave out to the lads. I honestly thought no one would make the comparison.
    Even so I think while you are perfectly entitled to express you opinion, as another soccer forum user I implore you to consider that the time we spend on this issue is time we could spend discussing the actual (imo) problem with the rules.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'd agree with the mod here. I read that thread this morning after this one and laughed.
    Well, at least someone did :)

Oh, and Thanks TRO, you don't have to defend myself, or Alan I'd say.

and this is what i mean about the spam.
    the above non-case didnt need to be dragged our but it was to prove an inane point that doesnt have relevance on anything. just people trying to score points on an imaginary league that exists in their head.

stop the spammers, and you will stop the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed - less of this "this happened to me" or "this person had this done". This isn't a discussion about individual cases. I'd like more talk about what you would like to see happen in the future. You have a chance to come up with creative solutions instead of raking over old issues - take the chance :)

The next "but I got a infraction for this" style post will feel my wrath. The next positive contribution and suggestion will have my undying gratitude ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I'll risk sticking my dead above the parapet and exposing myself to more criticism here, because it is unfair on Des and alan to have to defend themselves on this thread when the thread is about moderation of the forum.

Neither of the lads are soccer mods and neither deserve to be grilled.

I made the call on whether their posts amounted to back-seat modding. None of the other soccer mods have questioned my decision, and an Admin has reviewed it and judged it fair.

The exchange was clearly two friends having a laugh with each other.
    ..I might be a dirty fascist power hungry Nazi moderator, but I am not devoid of a sense of humour, and can recognise when an exchange such as this does no harm.

So if I and Jazzy (for an example) began writing 'reported lol' after each others posts or if i called him "a big boned and big headed poster" with a big :pac: after it clearly messing cos we are friends having a laugh with each other, will we get banned??

I dont know the guy from adam but if i did how does that give me the right to be above the rules.

im clearly nitpicking here and i understand des and alan were indeed joking and it was funny. but im pissed off cos a poster who genuinely was annoyed at a post reported it and because he posted that he was banned for a week.

THEN

a mod uses common sense not to ban the lads for messing but common sense could and should have been applied to marker's case. why not a quick pm to warn him about posting 'reported' on a thread?
    IMO that's where the problem lies.

EDIT: didn't see Buffybot's post. My positive contribution would be :

To see basic common sense applied to cases where a gentle warning could do instead of a very heavy handed ban on someone trying to help mods etc.

However posting "post reported" is not helping the mods as we all know mods are not on all the time and can't react to reported posts all the time.

Posting that is really baiting the reported user as a lot of times the reported will react to such a statement. And it can quickly becomes a flame war. In fact the only reason to post that is to get a reaction from the reported user. It's like stiking your thumb to your nose and going na na na na, I'm telling on you.

It's childish, not needed, un helpful, but most of all baiting, and is a yellow card for me.

also cheers TRO.

*stop the spammers from taking over threads. Simply tell them to cop on and if they continue, ban them from the thread. (can that be done?). this will have to be done based on the good judgement of a mod, that should be ok though as they are all clever people. is LuckyLoyd still a mod? hes good.

*ignore users who think that petty banter is insulting. tell them to harden up and not take everything so personally. If they cant have fun and get on with the give and take on the soccer forum and football in general then they shouldnt be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

All this discussion about curtain twitchers posting "reported" to elicit a response could be done away with with a simple vbulletin hack*, no?

What's going on here is plainly against what the infraction system is supposed to be for, even if it is supposedly for the better good, as defined by those who mod there. I kind of like the analogous idea of two yellows or a red equalling an early shower though, in light of the forum topic.

If people cross the boundaries of personal abuse, as elsewhere, and got booted, then no one could raise a whimper here with any justification. I can't understand why it could be left at that, with the caveat that derogatory-and I mean derogatory terms towards clubs and players/officials etc., are not allowed as a matter of course.

Anything else is just a muddying of the waters, and over complicating the issue, tbh.

*Visible post reporting would be no bad thing, not revealing the identity of the reporter natch, I've seen it done on other platform, and I'm sure boards wouldn't expire through using it too.

By the way, the non-impartiality shown here, even it was in jest, doesn't help matters. People are going to try and pick holes in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

CHD wrote: »
    Whats this all about, the Soccer forum is grand. People are just pissed off because they got banned out of there own stupidity or there is people who don't agree with them on the forum so they think these people are trolls, they react to the people and get infracted.

Lets ban all discussions on everything.

Totally agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This is really like a proper soccer forum thread. People are trying to talk about a topic, but a couple of people come in threadspoiling talking rubbish about something they know they are wrong about but it derails everything.

On the soccer modding thing, here's my 2c. I think it is too strict on the little things mostly, and as with anything else it is those who walk the fine line at times by posting an opinion that is always going to cause controversy, but because it is essentially their opinion (ostensibly at least) there is nothing done about it. I think a return to old style modding of telling people to stfu and modding by common sense instead of strictly by the rules would be better for the forum.

However, this presents it's own problems and would doubtless have lots of others crying foul and pointing to previous examples as injustices.

Long story short - you can't please everyone, as people love to whinge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement