Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cable modem + linksys wireless

• 26-10-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Help, did some cable tidying and now just can't get my wireless router talking to the NTL cable modem. Did loads of reset sequences and restoration of defaults.
    Modem is one of those little boxes for the phone, single ethernet cable, broadband works when it is connected directly to my PC.
    router is linksys wag54gs. I can connect to this on 192.168.1 wirelessly and by cable.
    However they seem to want to play with each other. The route is now back to it's factory defaults, which I think were similar to the last working config:
    RFC183 Bridged
    obtain IP automatically
    dhcp server enabled
    Firmware Version: V1.00.08
    MAC Address: 00:14:BF:70:73:66
    Current Time: 1999-12-31 16:29:31

checking the status on linksys:
    Internet Connection
    Login Type RFC 1483 Bridged
    Interface: Down
    IP Address: ---
    Subnet Mask: ---
    Default Gateway: ---
    DNS1: ---
    DNS2: ---
    DNS3: ---

I try the dhcp renew option, but although I see the ports of router and modem talking to each other, the status remains as above.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Unplug your Linksys. (Make sure your PC is powered down aswell)

Now unplug your cable modem for 10 seconds. Plug it back in and give it about a minute.

Plug in the linksys again and all should work. Failing that you will have to install using the linksys cd again.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Thanks, but I've already tried that. regarding reinstalling from linksys CD, I didn't use that in the first place AFAIK everything is onboard the router and the PC just needs to talk tcp/ip to it which it seems capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

after umpteen reboots and resets it's back on line. I have a suspicion my newly networked amplifier (nothing changed,well apart from...) may have been to blame for something, despite being disconnected at an early stage. Taking it offline for further investigation.

Advertisement