Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon Strachan new Boro manager

• 26-10-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Gordon Strachan joins Boro.

Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb is delighted that the club have secured the services of Gordon Strachan.

The new Boro boss replaces Gareth as manager at the Riverside Stadium, and inherits a team that are only three points off the top of the Championship table.

first game in charge will be against is predicting a long and successful era with the Scot at the helm.

"We're delighted that Gordon has agreed to join us as our new manager," he told the club's official website.

"Gordon has a wealth of experience as a player and as a manager. The experience will be of great help to the club, particularly to our younger players.

"For a club like ours, with a wealth of talented young footballers, whose careers are ahead of them, Gordon will be invaluable in ensuring they get every last ounce out of their potential.
    "That can only be a good thing for the players themselves and Middlesbrough Football Club."
    Strachan has previous management experience with Southampton and Celtic, and Lamb is expecting him to provide entertaining times on Teesside.

"He is a character and I think everybody, from the chairman down over, will enjoy working with him," he added.

"Certainly I doubt there'll be many dull days at the football club."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5653516,00.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

RTE got ****ed over there :pac: Back to Souness I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Delighted we got him. Can't wait for some more infamous interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Damn, i was enjoying him as a pundit. He was a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

RTE got ****ed over there :pac: Back to Souness I suppose.

Or Whelan.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

He should get them up , I never liked Southgate even if he did get them up he would get down straight back down again!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he took RTE for a fierce roide.....

cute scotts hoor eh:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What was he doing on RTE? Punditry for Premier League or Champions League or something?

Away at the moment so don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He should definitely get Boro back up.... but not ahead of us. Great manager for the long run too. Player pulling power has just gone up a notch now on Teeside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Oops.

Not off to a great start Gordon.

Don't know how realistic some of the targets are, but if you don't ask you don't get, I suppose.
    Strachan's PR blunder
    Tue Oct 27 09:05AM

Gordon Strachan has often made headlines with his pithy quotes (Q: There goes your unbeaten run. Can you handle it? A: No. I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Yeah, I think I can handle it.") but on his first day as Middlesbrough boss it was what he didn't say that created more interest.

Strachan was pictured holding a piece of paper that looked a lot like his ideal Middlesbrough team sheet.

And bad news for anyone not named Brad Jones, David Wheater, Sean St Ledger or Adam Johnson - nine of the 13 names on the list were prospective signings.

Among Strachan's targets are Arsenal wunder-kind Jack Wilshere, Manchester United's 15-minutes-of-fame merchant Federico Macheda and, inevitably, Kevin Phillips. Also named were Kyle Naughton, Andy Griffin, Marc Albrighton, Isaiah Osbourne, Hayden Mullins and Chris Iwelumo.

While it displays a bit of ambition, the list will hardly inspire confidence in the 24 Boro squad members who now, apparently, find themselves surplus to requirements.

Strachan's blunder was the kind of thing normally associated with major public figures and government ministers - or Nick Faldo, who pretended his list of Ryder Cup pairings was a lunch list.

For example, in April Bob Quick, Britain's most senior anti-terror policeman, resigned after flashing notes headed 'SECRET' that detailed a raid on an alleged terrorist cell in North-West London.

And last year Housing Minister Caroline Flint was snapped with briefing notes explaining just how deep in the brown stuff the UK property market was: "We can't know how bad it will get." Of course you can't, you're only the government.

It may go some way to explaining Strachan's rather odd remark: "If you have been Celtic manager for four years you can be Prime Minister of Great Britain."

After yesterday's Westminster-worthy gaffe, he is well on the way.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/206987/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

kraggy wrote: »
    What was he doing on RTE? Punditry for Premier League or Champions League or something?

Away at the moment so don't know.
    He was doing the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Gordon Strachan has often made headlines with his pithy quotes (Q: There goes your unbeaten run. Can you handle it? A: No. I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Yeah, I think I can handle it.") but on his first day as Middlesbrough boss it was what he didn't say that created more interest.
    Strachan was pictured holding a piece of paper that looked a lot like his ideal Middlesbrough team sheet.
    And bad news for anyone not named Brad Jones, David Wheater, Sean St Ledger or Adam Johnson - nine of the 13 names on the list were prospective signings.
    Among Strachan's targets are Arsenal wunder-kind Jack Wilshere, Manchester United's 15-minutes-of-fame merchant Federico Macheda and, inevitably, Kevin Phillips. Also named were Kyle Naughton, Andy Griffin, Marc Albrighton, Isaiah Osbourne, Hayden Mullins and Chris Iwelumo.
    While it displays a bit of ambition, the list will hardly inspire confidence in the 24 Boro squad members who now, apparently, find themselves surplus to requirements.

good ole Gordy

Thats his tactics show off the teamsheet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Strachan is a Legend!!!! I hope he does well with boro!
    I missed him in RTE is it on youtube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Marcus Bent as first signing. Bloody hell.

newblue08 wrote: »
    Marcus Bent as first signing. Bloody hell.
    :D

Advertisement