Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citymart Refused Permission

Options
  • 26-10-2009 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

An bord Pleanala have refused citymart planning permission due to overdevelopment & traffic congestion.

Back to the drawing board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

a public park maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

or how about another one of these?

white-elephant.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bit disappointing. The infrastructure is not up to scratch locally I'd say.
    It will go ahead in a few years I'd think. Kilkenny is still a very good town and even more so with the M9 near opening it is a very attractive location.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mfitzy wrote: »
    Bit disappointing. The infrastructure is not up to scratch locally I'd say.
    It will go ahead in a few years I'd think. Kilkenny is still a very good town and even more so with the M9 near opening it is a very attractive location.

I think you're spot on. The M9 will make Kilkenny very accessable with potential to grow and there's a huge chunk in the middle for it to grow.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

jerseyeire wrote: »
    I think you're spot on. The M9 will make Kilkenny very accessable with potential to grow and there's a huge chunk in the middle for it to grow.

Yea, I don't mean to blow our own trumpets but might as well; Kilkenny will be the nicest town within an hour of Dublin when it's opened hands down. It just has so much to offer.
    No offense to places like Drogheda, Dundalk, Navan, Mullingar etc. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's a pity Tesco isn't coming but to be honest with the way things have gone, building another shopping centre etc. would be economic folly.

Firetrap wrote: »
    It's a pity Tesco isn't coming but to be honest with the way things have gone, building another shopping centre etc. would be economic folly.

Still think it will go ahead, maybe a few years down the road as things pick up. Probably lucky they did not open the last year or so.
    A lot of money has been spent I'd say on marketing,planning etc so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Wow what a pity. Think of the number of Dunnes Stores outlets you could get into that site.

Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

It would be madness to have another shopping centre. Loads of units at Eurospar are still not occupied and the same in Mac Donagh, and in the city centre more shops weekly seem to be closing. The only great thing about Mac Donagh is it is dry. Shame still no Tesco.

Link to Kilkenny People article on Citymart;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Blow-for-city-as-mart.5770713.jp

Pity to see such a great site lie there,idle. People were willing to invest €300 million (min) in the city. It is a huge loss to let that kind of investment pass us by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Why does every bit of space in the town centre have to be retail?? There's empty shops in the middle of town. Why not just large, well designed office unit as an effort to try and attract more business to KK??

Mind you im not a town planner so i dont know what im talking about but most of the people in this town work in retail or hospitality. I know there was alot of office space in the plans for Citymart.

jiggajt wrote: »
    Mind you im not a town planner so i dont know what im talking about
    Neither are the polticians who over rule town engineers and planners decisions and advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

Hardly a surprize it did not get planning as was not goign to happen in this economic climate anyway.

Which bank would find a shopping centre when it won't even support existing well run businesses.

Wouldn't be surprized if COunty Council refused it just to save face of developers who wouldn't have been able to build it if it got planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Neither are the polticians who over rule town engineers and planners decisions and advise.

actually Mayor Noonan has a degree in town planning if I remember correctly :P

That's one out of how many?

Advertisement