Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Kitten died under anesthesia while being neutered?

Options
  • 26-10-2009 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I moved house 8 months ago and was befriended by a female cat. 2 months later she introduced me to her 2 kittens which we later called al and alfie. Al would come in to eat his breakfast,lunch,dinner and tea and i would play with him for 2 hours every night. We got al into a cage on thursday night and brought him to the vet on friday morning. The vet phoned to inform me that al had died under anesthesia. He did not get to perform the operation. Alfie is the quieter kitten who would follow al as he looked after her. Alfie is now pining and i am completely devastated. I cant eat nor can i stop crying. Alfie came into the house and went to al's favourite spot and started purring. Should i get alfie another kitten companion?? I dont think i will ever have the heart to get another kitten neutered again i will have to adopt from an spca that has the kittens already neutered

I did take Al to a "proper" vet and not to a low pay one!! I just cannot shed the guilt had i let him alone he would still be here with me today which is my birthday but i do not feel like celebrating. I have decided to trap Alfie in a week or so and take him into the house where she will be safe. She is living in the house that she shared with Al in our shed i made them a bed and made it comfy for them when they first arrived. I have never felt pain like this before and when i see Alfie pining it just makes me feel even more guilty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Ahh god i'm so sorry for you:(,,its an awful thing to happen but unfortunatley it does happen, very rarely though.
    Do bring in the other kitten and spoil him rotten,,you both deserve it..
    So sorry again,but please dont feel guilty you were trying to do the best for him and there was nothing you could have done,,and remember he was asleep and felt nothing,,he probably just had a reaction to the anasthetic..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Unfortuntely, pets dying under anaesthetic happens sometimes. It is usually unpredicable except in certain situations, e.g. a pet is ill but needs to be opperated on, and is very difficult for everyone involved. They die painlessly and don't know anything is happening, there is no fear or panic. I'm sure your vet was not a dodgy one, it was a routine surgery that they perform regularly and they are used to putting animals under anaesthitic - it was nobodies fault that this happened. It must be very hard for you and your other cat. Nothing I or anyone else can say will make it better, it's just one of those terrible things that happens.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Awwww that is so sad. I'm so sorry. Poor little kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Sorry for your loss. You were doing the right thing having her neutered (for all the reasons the dspca etc. give.) A co-worker of mine lost her lifelong cat in a similar way. It is a horrible tragedy.

If Alfie is super-young my choice would be to get him another playmate - as you were ready to take care of 2 cats. Give another little one a chance.
    Good luck to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost a young kitten under anaesthesia. She went in to have a leg amputated and she did not survive the operation. I know it is rare but it does not take away from the grief and suffering you are going thru.

Look after Alfie now and get him a playmate. Try to put the tragedy behind you, I knows it won't be easy but time does heal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I am sorry to read this, but sadly like humans there is a reason why you sign the disclaimer form at the vets. Anesthesia is dangerous if you have a reaction to it, it slows the heart and breathing and it can sadly just stop from time to time.

I am deeply sorry for you though, it is not nice to have something as routine as a neutering done and that happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Similar thing happened to my ex-girlfriend. Really hit the poor girl hard. Hope you're alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I am so sorry for your loss, it is devestating to lose any of our babies but is even worse when we are trying to give the animal a much happier, healthier life.

It is rare to lose an animal under anesthesia - please take care & try to put the lose behind you. Al will always be in your heart hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

That's a terrible thing to happen, and very rare. I would get another. Another death like that is very unlikely. Getting another kitten would be good for you and the other cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Awh, thats so sad, I'm so sorry for your loss and Alfie's. I agree with the all the other advice to get another kitten/cat if thats what you want, but give youself and Alfie some time first, even just a few weeks, especially if Alfie is still a bit nervous or unsettled, otherwise if you get another kitty and it becomes dominant it may drive Alfie away upsetting you still further. Best of luck and post to let us know how your'e getting on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement