Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon Photos

• 26-10-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

I saw an absolute load of D-SLR's & photog's in the city today, so lets see some of your marathon shots! I had a press pass this year, so got into a few places I didn't manage to last year ;) Just copying across the contents of 4 x 8GBs cards now.... so who is gonna get the ball rolling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I was supposed to be working for marathonfoto today, but the little fella was ill so I skipped it. My house is bang smack on the halfway mark so I sat out and watched most of it. Didn't take a single shot though - I've taken enough race shots in the series run up! :D Did get chatting to a freelance guy who happened to stop outside the house though...

I didnt see the pears? Did they go? I saw the leprechaun though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Here are mine, going to do it next year so needed to get some motivation material

4046758770_746d8f5045.jpg

4046767526_ab6f60e0af.jpg

4046761656_0843080fdd.jpg

4046033091_76388b3390.jpg

Full set here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

There was marathonfoto guys everywhere. Some of them seem to have left their manners to home also! I was shooting for the Irish Heart Foundation (for free I might add) but there was a definite feeling off these guys that they didn't like other people intruding on "their" gig. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Think there was two in front of me and one was an aussie, maybe cabainsail!

4046040497_82ce2f011c.jpg

Hmmm.. they get extra guys in for the marathon, but I've shot the race series with them this year and all the irish guys are lovely. One freelance photographer was on the finishing line for the 10 mile (where he wasn't supposed to be, and getting in the way of the runners) and he got a bit of a talking to, but that was fair enough. Last race I had my spot all measured and taped up and all, and was half way through taking the shots when he came and stood RIGHT in the middle of my shot with a big illuminous orange t shirt on. Had to tell him to get the hell out of the way.

Never saw anyone being rude though? What happened?

• Advertisement

That's Carl with the monopod and seat. I shot with him at the 10 mile. Cabansail was probably wearing his trademark hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I was stewarding the race on the North Circular Rd, went over to Donnybrook afterwards to get some shots

CSC_0178.jpg

CSC_0180.jpg

CSC_0179.jpg

CSC_0181.jpg

Did anyone see the elderly gentleman dressed up as half bride/half groom, he put a smile on everyone's face, I waited around to get a picture of him at donnybrook but couldn't see him coming

Dodgykeeper, good luck with doing it next year, planning on doing it myself but then again I've been planning on doing it the last 3 years and haven't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I was in Milltown:
    I didn't know which way the runners were coming and only had a second to trun around and get a couple of shots of the front runners.
    D9A784E010084F1596DE6256B9522364-800.jpg

6D3DB08669AA490EA531F414B4DB95FC-800.jpg

This guy looked like he was fixing his hair the whole time he ran past
    A74C28E28DB44F5296864B384D038895-800.jpg

One of my favorite shots
    5934E94DB8AE4C73ACC8120C446E28DF-800.jpg

The Run-Away Groom
    F6EDE23AFD07450BB0F8B744901213A8-800.jpg

These guys spotted me and mugged for the camera. They slowed down even.
    E11514603D504C8084D949B347A9DD6F-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    Did anyone see the elderly gentleman dressed up as half bride/half groom, he put a smile on everyone's face, I waited around to get a picture of him at donnybrook but couldn't see him coming

I was shooting in Milltown for 2+ hours and watched most of the rest of the walkers from the balcony, and didn't see him at all.

Full set is here , but below are some of my faves from the day. Click them for the full sizes...

4047741544_c18063e9ec.jpg

4046994231_fd0bf604ba.jpg

4047003141_98b29408e6.jpg

4047015411_0082859429.jpg

4047762784_ee436a192c.jpg

4047025687_188c59ce6d.jpg

4047000007_d14cc9aecc.jpg

• Advertisement

This the gent?

4046998109_be7f11b983_b.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Arciphel wrote: »
    There was marathonfoto guys everywhere. Some of them seem to have left their manners to home also! I was shooting for the Irish Heart Foundation (for free I might add) but there was a definite feeling off these guys that they didn't like other people intruding on "their" gig. :rolleyes:

AFAIK Marathonfoto pay for the rights to the race. Then again I am just paid to shoot for them. The people I shoot with are a great bunch & cannot imagine them being rude. What does happen is when you are shooting a race you get into a routine & become unaware of things going on around you. A runner collapsed near me in Berlin & I did not know until the Ambulance guys went past. At the half marathon I was shooting near Farmleigh & they wanted to move the barricades. Apparently they were talking to me for a few minutes but I did not hear them.

I would be interested in what happened that you thought was rude?

The guy that Sinead referred too was told to move on at the Half Marathon as he was not allowed to shoot in the Start or Finish areas.

Cannot show you any of what I shot as I do not own them. Shot six 2Gb Cards, five of them were full & went through 2 batteries. I think it was about 20K images again today. Shot at Kilmainham first & then was doing the Pre Finish shots just in front of the line. Used my Monopod today & my shoulder is thanking me for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just curious - sorry its slightly off topic.

but ....Cabansail.... when shooting for marathonphotos are you paid a decent amount for the day ....including image rights for approx 20,000 images.

I didn't go near the marathon today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

This the gent?
    What style did you go for or what lens, there's distortion in the other runners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

PCPhoto wrote: »
    just curious - sorry its slightly off topic.

but ....Cabansail.... when shooting for marathonphotos are you paid a decent amount for the day ....including image rights for approx 20,000 images.

I didn't go near the marathon today.

I think it's quite descent pay. They supply the cameras & you just shoot for them. They own the image rights as you are employed to take them, so they are not buying them off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

4047569809_a8ab87e600.jpg

this guy was winning at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

CabanSail wrote: »
    Shot six 2Gb Cards, five of them were full & went through 2 batteries. I think it was about 20K images again today.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

This the gent?

That's the guy, Thanks :)

gary82 wrote: »
    :eek:

That's why you get paid well for it - it's bloody hard work! And monotonous - you just see bib numbers after a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

4048363182_e84808c23c.jpg

another one from yesterday

• Advertisement
Advertisement